The bible does not contain contradictions

I believe the bible is the true word of God.It cannot be proven wrong or contradicting. Con should argue that it has contradicting verses,If i prove that the verses are not contradicting,I win..Con may begin his argument.

Two disclaimers:

1. Pro asked for "contradicting verses." We will have to tackle contradicting principles instead. The reason is that if we lift verses here and there of course we will find contradictions. For example, Matthew 8, when the Lord cast out demons into swine, the Scriptures say He met "two men" coming out of the tombs but Luke 8 and Mark 5 both say the Lord met "a" man (that is a contradiction). It is better that we argue about whole principles and look for contradictions in those principles. That ensures that we are not just mincing verses but comparing "Scripture with Scripture."

2. I am a Christian and have experienced the Scriptures to be true and accurate, the infallible word of God (as He said). Still, I read puzzling contradictions in the Scriptures and am perfectly fine with that. Christians are supposed to question and read and study, so I gladly take up that chance here and offer the following contradictions that I have found.

Three Small Contradictions to Start

I. Wives. How Many Are Men Supposed to Have: One? More Than One? or None?

The Bible teaches that men should have only one wife but it also gives examples of men having several wives. Which is it teaching? If the Scriptures are given as our "ensamples," this is a contradiction. Both examples are taught.

David had wives. Abraham had wives. Lamech had wives. Jacob had wives. Solomon had wives.

Yet, men were commanded in Genesis to leave Father and Mother and cling to their wife (singular). The Bible also teaches that a man should, to avoid fornication, have his own wife (singular). (II Corinthians 7).

On a side note, Paul admonishes Christians that it would be best if they did not marry at all (I Cor 7).

So, concerning wives, the Scriptures offer three contradictions: men can have several wives; men can have "a" wife; men can choose not to marry. This is a contradiction.

II. To Wine or Not to Wine, That is the Question

Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach"s sake. But Proverbs teach that wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging. Deuteronomy 14.26 teaches that wine has a purpose in festivities and can be drunken yet Proverbs 31 (and others) teach that wine is not for kings, should be shunned and avoided. Proverbs 104 also teaches that wine makes a man"s heart merry yet Ecclesiastes teaches that wine makes a man foolish.

Concerning wine, the Scriptures teach men they can drink wine but also that they cannot drink wine. That is a contradiction.

III. To Murder or Not to Murder, That is the (next) Question

Murder is forbidden (in the OT) yet murder is commanded (in the OT: David slaughters the Philistines, the Children of Israel slaughter Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, and all according to God's command). The Scriptures teach that murder is forbidden by God and also allowed by God. This is a contradiction.

Over to Pro.
- msp

1. CON SAYS THAT THE BIBLE SAYS MEN CAN HAVE ONLY ONE WIFE,AND IN OTHER PLACES IT SAYS YOU CAN HAVE MORE THAN ONE,AND THAT PAUL SAID NOT TO MARRY AT ALL. Nowhere in the Bible does it say people should have two or more wives.The Bible tells us the lives of the people in it.They were not perfect ,they made mistakes,just like we do.Only Jesus lived a perfect life.We should try to avoid the mistakes the people in the bible made,and try to live like Jesus. All the men who had two or more wives experienced problems because of it..For example Soloman's hundreds of wives led him into idolatry.(1Kings 11:1-3) Abraham married Hagar his second wife and problems came with it. Genesis 2:24 says "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife(singular)and they shall become one flesh. " Here are some other verses that say have one wife, Ephesians 5:33, Deuteronomy 17:17, 1Timothy 3:2, 1Corinthians 7:2, and 1Timothy 3:12 In 1Corinthians 7:7-9 Paul said. "But I say to the unmarried and. to the widows,it is good for them if they remain even as I am (unmarried),But if they cannot exercise self-control,let them marry,For it is better to marry than to burn with passion." He is saying you do not have to marry,but you can. 2. CON SAYS THE BIBLE SAYS YOU CAN DRINK WINE,AND ALSO SAYS YOU CAN NOT. The Bible says you can drink wine for medical reasons (1Timothy 5:23) Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:3-11) But the Bible says not to get drunk on wine..These verses forbids being drunk. Ephesians 5:6, Romans 13:13, Galatians 5:19-21. The Bible also says do not drink if it will offend a fellow believer.(Romans 14:15-21,and do not drink if it will hinder the Gospel. (1Corinthians 9:19-23) CON SAYS MURDER IS FORBIDDEN IN THE OT,AND IS COMMANDED IN THE OT. God did command the jews to kill everyone in the cities he told them to conquer and destroy.The people they killed was very bad people,people who did child sacrifice and all sorts of wickedness.( Deuternomy 9:5,Deuternomy 12:31) God did warn the people what would happen if they would not repent.He gave them 400 years to repent. ( Genesis 15:13-16)

MattStPaul forfeited this round.

My argument stands

MattStPaul forfeited this round.
Posted by canis 10 months ago
Posted by MattStPaul 10 months ago
canis: are you really 51?
Posted by canis 10 months ago
A fairy tale does not contain contradictions..
Posted by twentyseven 10 months ago
You must be ranked above me to accept
Posted by UnhookedSchnook 10 months ago
I would be more than happy to accept this. Is it the Christian god?
Posted by persianimmortal 10 months ago
The bible contains contradictions ONLY to an unseeking eye.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."
Matthew 7:7

Moral of the story........

You want it? you gotta find it...but I'll help you
Posted by uniferous 10 months ago
I cannot accept.