t-man
Fluer

The bible has contradictions.

Fluer

t-man

Con

The burden of proof in this debate falls on PRO.

PRO wins if they can prove something in the Bible to be a contradiction.

CON wins if PRO is unable to do so.

By the Bible I mean: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalm, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, and Revelation

PRO is to start presenting contradictions in the first round.

No new contradictions in the 5th round.
Fluer

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting this debate and look forward to some interesting arguments.

I will bring up three contradictions found in the bible in this round.

1. Contradicting stories of Creation
In the book of Genesis we find very contradictory statements on how we were created and in what order. The main contradiction I will use in this round is the order in which animals and humans were created. In one version we find animals being created first and in another we find animals being created to keep Adam company.
"And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image.... So God created man in his own image." (GEN 1:25-27)
"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof." (GEN 1:18-19)
2. Seeing the Face of God
In the book of Genesis Joshua is wrestling with God and sees his face. In the book of Exodus, though, we get a completely contradictory statement.
"For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (GEN 32:30)
"And he said, Thou canst not see my face; for there shall no man see me and live." (EXO 33:20)
3.The Father of Joseph
We get two different possible names of the Father of Joseph as well which is another contradiction
"And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." (MAT 1:16)
"And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli." (LUK 3:23)
t-man

Con

1. Creation
In verse 18 the order of creation isn't important. It isn't specific about when the animals were created. It has just been translated that way. The NIV translates it, "Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name." (Gen 1:18)

2. The face of God.
God says that nobody can see his face in response to Moses asking to see God's glory. "Then Moses said, 'Now show me your glory.'" (Ex 33:18) God is using "seeing my face" to mean seeing God's glory. When Joshua says that he has seen God face to face he means that he saw a physical representation of God. He did not see God's glory. the verses are using the phrase God's face to mean different things.

3. Joseph's father
Heli could have been Joseph's father-in-law and therefore Mary's father. It would been unusual in that time to trace someone's genealogy through their mother so Luke went through Joseph to get to Heli instead of Mary.
Fluer

Pro

1. "the order of creation isn't important" You never said anything about it being an important contradiction and no matter if it is a contradiction that has arisen from translation it is still an example of a contradiction in the Bible.

2. In that case you have proven that example to not be contradictory. Doesn't matter as you haven't managed that for either of the others.

3. "could have been" That does not prove that what is written down in the Bible is not contradictory. It is still written down that Heli is his father as well as Jacob. These facts contradict each other so there is a contradiction within the Bible.

I will add just one more contradiction to this round due to a lack of time.

1. God's laws
In th book of Ezra God says that he intentionally gave out bad laws. So the laws that the bible would have us follow and uphold are now questionable.
(EZ 20:25)
t-man

Con

1. Creation

When I said, "The order of creation isn't important,"
I was explaining why verse 18 isn’t specific about when the animals were
created. “No matter if it is a contradiction that has arisen from translation
it is still an example of a contradiction in the Bible.” It would be
unreasonable for me to have to defend every translation of the Bible. On what
basis would we decide what translations are allowed? You could just invent your
own translation that has contradictions in it and I would automatically lose. I
am not defending translations of the bible. I am defending the bible as it is
in the languages it was originally written in.

2. Joseph’s father

It is not a contradiction for Joseph to have a biological
father and a father-in-law. That happens all the time.

3. God’s Law

While this is something that could be debated, it is not a
contradiction. A contradiction would require one part of the Bible to
contradict another. You only gave one verse and didn’t give any indication of
what it contradicts.

Fluer

Pro

Fluer forfeited this round.
t-man

Con

PRO has forfeited.

Vote CON.
Fluer

Pro

Fluer forfeited this round.
Fluer

Pro

Fluer forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Guitar_Guru 5 years ago
Guitar_Guru
t-manFluerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I gave conduct to Con because Pro had multiple forfeitures, but if you don't look at all the forfeitures then arguments clearly go to Pro because of the contradiction of what sequence animals and humans were made. Con still had to defend against this legitimate translation because Pro sited what part of which books it came out of. Good job to both debaters.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
t-manFluerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter VB
Vote Placed by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
t-manFluerTied
Reasons for voting decision: good job con