Lucassamson
brendanww2

The bible is God's word

Lucassamson

Lucassamson

Con

The bible is not God's word because it is full of errors,inconsistencies and contradictions
brendanww2

Pro

As a devout Roman Catholic I believe that the bible is god's word. This is not just because my church teaches it, but because Catholics and all Christians believe the Jesus Christ was not only God's son, but God incarnate. We believe in the holy trinity, the three persons that make up one god, These are the Father (God), the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit, and therefore as the bible is the words of Jesus Christ, it is the word of God.

But Catholics are not the only ones that believe that the bible is god's word. Protestants, Eastern Orthodox Christians and Mormons all believe that the bible is God's word. And Jews accept the old testament as the word of god as god spoke through the prophets. Muslims also believe the Koran is gods word as it was dictated to Mohammed by god.

Atheists are not expected to accept the bible or other scriptures as God's words, as they do not believe in god. Therefore I will not insult their views

In addition inconsistencies in the bible are to be expected, as the bible was originally written in 5 different languages and hundreds of translations exist. When documents are translated errors are bound to occur and as the bible has been translated hundreds of times over the last 2000 years. In addition the vast majority of these inconsistencies occur in different books of the bible. While in the book of Mark, Jesus's tomb is described simply as a rock tomb, in the Book of John it is a garden tomb. And while in the book of Mathew, the tomb is described as newly carved, the book of Luke describes it as old and simply unused. While these are just a few examples, there are many more instances of this happening thin the bible.
Lucassamson

Con

If you say the bible is God's word,you should not forget to tell the audience which of the bibles is God's word because i know of many,for example:
{1}---Original manuscripts
{2}---Most ancient copies
{3}---ancient versions
{4}---vulgate Bible
{5}---Wycliffe Bible
{6}---Tyndale Bible 1535-1536
{7}---Mathews Bible 1537
{8}---Great Bible 1539
{9}---Geneva Bible 1560
{10}---Bishop Bible
{11}---King James 1611
{12}---Revised Standard Version (R.S.V) 1611
{13}---Authorized Standard Version (A.S.V) 1901 reproduced in 1928
{14}---R.S.V 1952
{15}---R.S.V 1971
{16}---Dauy Reproduced in 1609..

Which of these bibles was insired by holyspirit?

In addition,the catholic bible has 73 chapters while the protestant bible has 66 chapters,WHICH OF THEM IS GOD'S WORD??

Moreover,i should not hestitate to let you know that God is not an author of confusion nor will God contradict himself,for example:

2chronicles22:2 of niv bible says:
2 Ahaziah was twenty-twoyears old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem one year. His mother""s name was Athaliah, a granddaughter of Omri.

And from the king james bible[KJV],we read:
Forty and two years oldwasAhaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name alsowasAthaliah the daughter of Omri.
- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition

As if that is enough,i still wonder who was adding and substracting because:

The NIV,rsv,nwt leaves out 16 entire verses
1. Matthew 17:21:""
2. Matthew 18:11:""
3. Matthew 23:14"
4. Mark 7:16:""
5. Mark 9:44:"."
6. Mark 9:46:"
7."mark11:26
8. Mark15:28"
9. Luke 17:36:"
10. John 5:4:""
11. Acts 8:37:"
12. Acts 15:34:"
13. Acts 24:7:""
14. Acts 28:29:"
15. Romans 16:24
16. I John 5:7:

i will further butress my point,by saying the bible consist of the word of man,word of God,word of stone,animals,angels,satan etc..for example:

Judges 9:13 ASV
American Standard Version
And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my new wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to wave to and fro over the trees?

IS THIS GOD'S WORD?

Furthermore,we read more words that are not of God in the bible,

Matthew 15:27 "7"8
Parallel Verses
New International Version
"Yes it is, Lord," she said. "Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table."

IS THIS GOD'S WORD?apparently NO!

I reserve my comment for now
brendanww2

Pro

While many editions and translations of the Bible exist, all come from the same source, the original scriptures. These are the words of god, in my view and in the view of many in the world. However, as most of the Global populous does not speak Hebrew or Aramaic or Greek, and so translations have been made. Translating is not an easy task either, especially translating documents. In addition words may have different meanings, depending on context.

And I would like to ask the Con to maintain decorum in this debate and remain polite throughout, and be sure to be respectful of others views and convictions.

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk...
Lucassamson

Con

I think with the verses and points I posted before,I have been able to drive my point home.

As the pro,I think the best thing you can do is to refute my points instead of accusing me of not respecting people's opinion.

Moreover,you said translation is not an easy task,IS IT TRANSLATION THAT MADE THE CATHOLIC BIBLE 73 AND THE PROTESTANT BIBLE 66??

To round up my point,I still insist that the bible is not God's word but a book that contains the word of man,trees,satan.angels,animals etc

When pilate was accusing jesus,was that GOd talking?

In songs of solomon,who was talking,GOD OR SOLOMON?

The bible is not and will never be God's word.
brendanww2

Pro

While my opponent has chosen to result to anger and ad hominem attacks, I will choose to continue the debate formally.

The reason that Catholics have 73 books in the bible and Protestants have 66 is because of Martin Luther's reformation. Martin Luther was critical of the Deuterocanonical books, also called the Apocrypha. Luther believed that these books were not truly god's word, but more the words of godly people. And so protestants do not include these books in their bibles.

In the end the issue comes down to faith. Some believe that the bible is simply the work of many men who acted on their own. Others believe that the bible is the work of men through whom god spoke. By this account the bible is the word of god, transcribed by men.
Posted by brendanww2 2 years ago
brendanww2
The con did not do any research other than his own slanted interpretation of the bible, this is just a case of bad sportsman ship
Posted by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
If he's got the facts, then it's all good....
Posted by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
that doesn't mean he can't argue it...
Posted by Migrating_Hacker 2 years ago
Migrating_Hacker
you haven"t even read it.
Vote Placed by queenofmayhem 2 years ago
queenofmayhem
Lucassamsonbrendanww2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: "Faith" does not win debates. Pro failed to refute any of Con's points, so argument goes to Con.
Vote Placed by TheRussian 2 years ago
TheRussian
Lucassamsonbrendanww2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro could not effectively refute Con's points and instead relied on faith. (As said in last round). Conduct goes to Pro.