Elijahhill97
debater12332

The bible is not a credible source.

Elijahhill97

Elijahhill97

Pro

Rules for this debate.
1. First round is acceptance and stating what side you are on.
2. This is a debate about whether or not the bible can be used as a credible source
3. The bible that will be referred to is the bible that Catholics and Christians use/believe in
4. No new rebuttals in the final round as I will not be able to respond or counter them.

I am stating that the bible can not be used as a credible source and that it is not a credible source.
debater12332

Con

I say that the bible is a credible book and should be followed.
Elijahhill97

Pro

I will argue that the Bible is not a credible source to use in debates, arguments, papers, and etc.

First we have to decide what is or isn't reliable. (See http://www.wikihow.com...)
Lets begin with looking at the 4 points.
1. Published material
2. Uncredited (many of the "authors" and what little we know about them were not experts they just wrote.)
3. No known specific date and extremely old. (It is very outdated as many of the "rules" that are stated in the Bible don't apply even in the Christian/Catholic world. Many things that were thought to be true have since been proved wrong by modern science.)
4. Extremely controversial reviews
5. None
6. Extremely biased

1). I will argue this by showing how contradictory the Bible is.
2). If a book contradicts itself in multiple parts and is inaccurate, then I believe we can all agree that it is not credible.

1). Contradictions.
GE 2:17 -Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 -Adam lived 930 years.

GE 7:1Noah was righteous.
JB 1:1,8,JB 2:3 -Job was righteous.
LK 1:6 -Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous.
JA 5:16 -Some men are righteous, (which makes their prayers effective).
1JN 3:6-9 -Christians become righteous (or else they are not really Christians).
RO 3:10,3:23,1JN 1:8-10 -No one was or is righteous.

GE 11:9 -At Babel, the Lord confused the language of the whole world.
1CO 14:33 -Paul says that God is not the author of confusion.

GE 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when his son Abram was born.
GE 11:32 Terah was 205 years old when he died (making Abram 135 at the time).
GE 12:4, AC 7:4 Abram was 75 when he left Haran. This was after Terah died. Thus, Terah could have been no more than 145 when he died; or Abram was only 75 years old after he had lived 135 years.

GE 12:7, 17:1, 18:1, 26:2, 32:30, EX 3:16, 6:2-3, 24:9-11, 33:11, NU 12:7-8, 14:14, JB 42:5, AM 7:7-8, 9:1 God is seen.
EX 33:20, JN 1:18, 1JN 4:12 God is not seen. No one can see God's face and live. No one has ever seen him.

GE 15:9, EX 20:24, 29:10-42, LE 1:1-7:38, NU 28:1-29:40, God details sacrificial offerings.
JE 7:21-22 God says he did no such thing.

GA 4:22 Abraham had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac.
HE 11:17 Abraham had only one son.

GE 22:1-12, DT 8:2 God tempts (tests) Abraham and Moses.
1CO 10:13 Paul says that God controls the extent of our temptations.
JA 1:13 God tests (tempts) no one.

GE 35:10 God says Jacob is to be called Jacob no longer; henceforth his name is Israel.
GE 46:2 At a later time, God himself uses the name Jacob.

EX 20:12, DT 5:16, MT 15:4, 19:19, MK 7:10, 10:19, LK 18:20 Honor your father and your mother is one of the ten commandments. It is reinforced by Jesus.
MT 10:35-37, LK 12:51-53, 14:26 Jesus says that he has come to divide families; that a man's foes will be those of his own household; that you must hate your father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, and even your own life to be a disciple.
MT 23:9 Jesus says to call no man on earth your father.

EX 20:13, DT 5:17, MK 10:19, LK 18:20, RO 13:9, JA 2:11 God prohibits killing.
GE 34:1-35:5 God condones trickery and killing.
EX 32:27, DT 7:2, 13:15, 20:1-18 God orders killing.
2KI 19:35 An angel of the Lord slaughters 185,000 men.

2). Flaws in the Bible.

DT 6:5, MT 22:37, MK 12:30, LK 10:27 Love God.
DT 6:13, PS 33:8, 34:9, 111:10, 115:13, 128:1, 147:11, PR 8:13, 16:6, 19:23, 22:4, IS 8:13, LK 12:5, 1PE 2:17 Fear God.
1JN 4:18 There is no fear in love.

LK 1:26-38 The angel who appears to Mary to foretell the birth of Jesus says that Jesus will be given the throne of David, that he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and that his kingdom will never end. (None of this took place nor can it now be fulfilled.)

MT 16:28, MK 9:1, LK 9:27 Jesus says that some of his listeners will not taste death before he comes again in his kingdom. This was said almost 2000 years ago.
(Note: This passage and many others indicate that Jesus was to come again in a relatively short period of time and not just "quickly" as present day Biblicists assert. All of his listeners are now dead, yet Jesus has not come again in his kingdom. All of the alleged words of Jesus put forth in the Bible are therefore suspect.)

**MK 16:17-18 A believer can handle snakes or drink poison and not experience any harm.
(Note: Many unfortunate believers have died as a result of handling snakes and drinking poison. This kind of assertion negates the Bible as a useful guidebook for life.)**

3). Absurdities.
GE 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heaven(s) and the earth." (One might ask what "existed," and where God dwelt, before he created heaven and earth. Of course, if God were pure spirit the question could be considered moot, but inasmuch as the God of the Bible allegedly participated in a wrestling match, ate solid food, was seen face to face, spoke with Moses, etc., it would seem that he possesses physical attributes, including form.)

GE 1:3-5, 14-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun. (Note: If there were no sun, there would be no night or day. Also, light from the newly created heavenly bodies seems to have reached the earth instantaneously though it now takes thousands or millions of years.)
(Note: Some biblicists contend that biblical chronology fixes the date of creation at 4004 B.C. thereby making the earth about six thousand years old. Some present-day creationists stubbornly adhere to a young earth timetable in spite of overwhelming evidence that the earth is actually billions of years old.)

GE 1:29 Every plant and tree which yield seed are given to us by God as good to eat. (Note: This would include poisonous plants such as hemlock, buckeye pod, nightshade, oleander.)

****GE 2:15-23, 3:1-5, 1TI 2:14 Eve was created after Adam had already been given the prohibition about eating the forbidden fruit. Eve believed the serpent (the craftiest of all of God's wild creatures) when he assured her that she would become wise and would not die if she ate the fruit. Eve has been blamed for causing Adam to fall, and ultimately for the fall of mankind. (Note: Prior to eating the forbidden fruit, Adam and Eve would have had no knowledge of right and wrong; they would not have known that it was a sin to disobey God or to obey the serpent. After they ate the forbidden fruit, God placed a guard around the "Tree of Eternal Life" to keep them from eating its fruit. He could have done the same for the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" before Adam and Eve disobeyed. In addition, even though the prohibition regarding the forbidden fruit was made to Adam before Eve came on the scene, Eve has been blamed for the Fall; 1TI 2:14 says: "... Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.")****

GE 3:1-5 The serpent speaks human language (presumably Hebrew).

GE 6:4 There were giants on the earth at one time. (Note: No evidence exists to supports this assertion.)

***GE 6:15 The size of Noah's Ark was such that there would be about one and a half cubic feet for each pair of the 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 species to be taken aboard.***

***GE 7:17-19 The flood covered the entire earth at the same time. (Note: There is no evidence of a worldwide flood, but rather of many, widespread, but local floods.)***

***GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep, thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water. How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)***

GE 9:12-16 God first creates the rainbow. (Note: Apparently the laws having to do with refraction of light were null and void prior to this time.)

**LE 11:20-21 There are winged creatures (birds or insects) that go around on all fours. (Note: There are no birds that go around on four legs, and all insects have six or eight legs.)**

2CH 7:5, 8-9 Solomon sacrificed 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep in one week. This is 845+ animals per hour, 14+ animals per minute, for seven days straight.

***2CH 21:20, 22:1-2 Ahaziah was forty-two when he became king; he succeeded his father, who died at the age of forty. Thus, Ahaziah was two years older than his father. [Note: Some translations use "twenty-two" here in an attempt to rectify this discrepancy. The Hebrew is clear, however, that 2CH 22:2 is 42. The Hebrew words involved are Strong's H705 and H8147, "forty" and "two," respectively.]***

4). Conclusion
All of theses points I've included show how the Bible is not reliable.
Note: any "*" point out something that pulls into question the reliability of the Bible.

Cited sources
http://infidels.org...
debater12332

Con

debater12332 forfeited this round.
Elijahhill97

Pro

I foward all of my previous arguements.
debater12332

Con

debater12332 forfeited this round.
Elijahhill97

Pro

continued
debater12332

Con

debater12332 forfeited this round.
Elijahhill97

Pro

Thank you for proving how easily bible defenders cower
debater12332

Con

debater12332 forfeited this round.
Posted by Leo.Messi 2 years ago
Leo.Messi
Whoa-when did Jesus tell anyone to hate anybody???
His whole message is about love, caring, compassion etc.
I think you misunderstood the verse.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
Okay so more of just your interpretations against others. Why is your interpretation more correct than someone elses? How can you prove yours is right and theirs isn't? and then what about the bible suggesting the world is flat? or circular?
Posted by yoshidino 2 years ago
yoshidino
I myself can come up with many scriptures that seem to contradict, like this one: Bible says that Y'shua (Jesus) is the ONLY begotten of the father. Then It says the that we are all children of God. You would see contradiction in this if you didn't understand the whole story being told throughout the scriptures. In the Aramaic, It actually says "the FIRST BORN of the father." But you would never know that. You would just read the English and assume a flaw. News flash home boy, English is not the original language of these books, it's just a translation.
Posted by yoshidino 2 years ago
yoshidino
Elijahhill97, yes the English bible translated from the Masoretic Hebrew manuscripts (probably the only one you have access to or heard of) is flawed in some minor issues like numbers. Other points you gave are just simple misinterpretations of the texts. I will give one Example: Bible Says no one Is righteous, then God calls some people like Abraham righteous. Answer: According to the same scriptures, Abraham was made righteous by faith in God just like everybody else who was called righteous. It is not our own righteousness, but his righteousness in us. Therefore, although we have his righteousness, we in and of ourselves are not righteous. You only find contradiction like this because you don't understand the full story.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
I do apologize for my statement made in the final round.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
Are you kidding me? whether I made the worst argument in the world or the best It does not matter a forfeit is a full 7 to me. This is why debates on this site prove very little because biased people like you do this. he forfeited That means for 12 days (plus the days I took to make my stuff) he chose not to check this site or be "busy". But that is not my problem or an excuse to forfeit every round.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
I will post so many points because that in itself is a point. There is literally almost an endless amount of problems in the bible and what you saw me post in my first is nothing compared to what I was going to continue to post and back. The bible is historically and scientifically flawed plain and simple.
Posted by yoshidino 2 years ago
yoshidino
Ok, Elifahhill97, If we were to debate, you would have to promise not to post SO MANY points. Post a couple and see If I have an answer. For one, each of these take time to answer as I would have to refer to the Syriac Old Covenant, which was translated from the original Hebrew manuscripts and is way more accurate in comparing manuscripts, where the Masoretic text has some flaws in translation. The Syriac Peshitta Old Covenant clears up the contradictions that the Masoretic text and the Septuagint acquired in translation. For two, in order to answer all the seeming contradictions found in the Masoretic text, you might have to use more characters than are allowed.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Elijahhill97
it makes me laugh:)
Vote Placed by TrustmeImlying 2 years ago
TrustmeImlying
Elijahhill97debater12332Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO made an argument, CON forfeited. In the future I would hope PRO is more careful about insulting people, especially in such a blanket statement like the one in his final round.
Vote Placed by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
Elijahhill97debater12332Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had no real argument , and forfeited .
Vote Placed by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
Elijahhill97debater12332Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a terrible argument and Con made no argument
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
Elijahhill97debater12332Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I do not like Pro's statement at the end. I will only give him a point, just because he made a broad statement there. Con could've been inactive or had an event of some sort.