koon139
Beginner

The biggest island is not Greenland

koon139

koon139

Pro

The biggest island is not Greenland.
Beginner

Con

I say the biggest island IS Greenland.
1. The names of all things are derived from language.
2. All language is derived from the application of sound to a linguistic form.
3. All names are simply applications of sound.
Working backward, I will apply the sound (and the visual, English image) of the word, 'Greenland', and thus name each and every island in existence, Greenland.

Another way of putting it (hey it's an example!): People of one language calls our planet Earth, another calls it Poopooface (sekai, mundo, monde, shijie, whatever), both are right. It doesn't matter if neither agree, nomenclature does not necessitate a system of priority. A thing's name is what people decide it is. Since, in addition to my being a person, I have cognitive linguistic ability and a certain degree of sound-command, I am perfectly capable of naming every island Greenland. The biggest island is thus Greenland.
koon139

Pro

Greenland is a country; Green land is a 'land' that is green. My argument suggests that Greenland, the country, (http://en.wikipedia.org... - click that link for clarification on which country I am talking about) is not the biggest island on Earth. I hope we're on the same page here.

The biggest island is not Greenland, because the biggest island is the island which consists of a part of Asia, a part of Europe, the Middle East, and most of Africa - click this link - http://picturepush.com....
Beginner

Con

CON's point is valid (that the island-nation most call Greenland is not the largest island), but it is completely irrelevant to mine. My point stands. Even if my opponent's point is true, it doesn't negate the validity of mine. Both are true, the biggest island is thus Greenland. Note that a thing is not limited to a single name, and a name is whatever we decide to call something. Fact: Not everyone has to use the same name, and not everyone is limited by the nomenclatural decision of others.
Since islands are not limited by space or size, the biggest island cannot be, in all probability, on Earth. In fact, my opponent did not limit island to those on Earth or on the physical plane. That means that the largest island is metaphysical; an unfathomable mass of infinity NOT on Earth. A thing can have many names, and I've given all islands the name: Greenland.
Of course, even if we do assume that the island confines is, in fact, Earth, my point is still valid. I've named every island Greenland, thus ensuring the fact that the largest island is Greenland.
How is this not valid? A thing can have many names. Whether or not a name is official is subjective, and a name doesn't need to be 'official' to be valid. I don't even know what you are saying.
What am I doing? What is this? Have I fallen so far as to be refuting nonexistent points by an imaginary CON? REAL CON, please read my argument. Respond to my argument. It's pointless to develop a position while completely ignoring that developed by your opponent (WHICH YOU ARE CURRENTLY DOING! RAWRR!!). Crazy? Yes. Very. Absolutely maniacal.

Contention 8 - Point #6:
Definition of language:
1. the vocabulary and phraseology belonging to an art or a department of knowledge [1]
2. the words, their pronunciation, and the methods of combining them used and understood by a community [1]

Anyone can create a language, and language does not necessarily require any degree of communication capacity. As for the second definition, there is no upper or lower limit to the extent of understanding necessary to being a language. This means that, as long as there is some degree, any degree, of understanding, it is a language. I'm just covering possible discrepancies, don't sweat it.
I will now create the Greenland language. Guess what word comprises the entire language? That's right! 'Greenland'.
Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland Greenland.
It's alright if you don't understand in terms of communication, I don't either, but it's still a language.

Since, according to Greenland language, Greenland is the only viable word, everything is Greenland.. including but not limited to the largest island ever.

Greenland

Now even if contention 8 - point #6 were not true (yes it is, yes it is), my original point still stands. Don't forget that I've named every island Greenland. GOGOGO!
[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
koon139

Pro

Okay. I will clarify my argument: This island (https://maps.google.com...) right here is not the biggest island on Earth -- AfroEurasia is. If you do not agree with this, we can continue the debate. If not, this shall be the end of it.
Beginner

Con

Like I said, my opponent never limited the subject island to Planet Earth, meaning the largest island is most probably not Afro-Eurasia. Neither did he limit the subject island to those in the physical plane, meaning the largest island is within a limitless metaphysical confines (haha, limitless confines). It also means that he is completely wrong, the largest island is definitely not Afro-Eurasia as per the second sentence. I'm also disappointed that my opponent would ignore my points.. he didn't even bother contending.

Late definitions are unacceptable. It is an abuse, and gives the late definer a clearly disproportionate advantage, especially when the point being restructured is of such importance in this matter. What happens if you don't define?
Reputed debater Imabench provides an excellent example: http://www.debate.org...
Of course, mine aren't nearly as abusive as equating DNA to Demonic Nambian Antelopes, but ,hopefully, you get the point.

CONDUCT: Could possibly go to PRO, but I think PRO's attempts to restructure the debate in rounds 2 & 3 supersede the offenses I've probably committed: overbearing confidence (wait, does this even count?), patronization, informality, etc.
SPELLING AND GRAMMAR: He barely Englished, but I think he deserves the tie. I'm not one for overkills
ARGUMENT: Obviously, me.
SOURCES: My Merriam Webster VS. my opponent's nonexistent source. I think it's pretty clear that I'm the victor here.
Posted by IwinYoulose333 4 years ago
IwinYoulose333
This all depends on your definition of island. Technically Asia could be considered an island.
Posted by koon139 4 years ago
koon139
My second argument - Afro Eurasia. The thing is Afro Eurasia is a landmass, but an island by definition is a piece of land surrounded by water - this makes Afro Eurasia an island.
Posted by iamrightyouarewrong 4 years ago
iamrightyouarewrong
Nah. I'm just kidding.
iamrightyouarewrong
I think I agree with you, koon. If you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'. ;)
Vote Placed by DebaterAgent 4 years ago
DebaterAgent
koon139BeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's Afro Eurasia argumenet was really true and convincing. good job koon139
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
koon139BeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even with schematics, BoP of pro was still met.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
koon139BeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con demolished Pro's arguments