Skynet
hielispace

The character of God is consistant between the Old and New Testaments.

Skynet

Pro

The purpose of this debate is to rebut the idea that the character of God described in the OT is far different than the God in the NT, whether it be a change in personality or person. I will be taking the position that the character of God did not change through the course of the Bible.

Con must demonstrate that there are too many serious differences between the God of the Old and New Testaments for them to be of consistent character. Since pointing out all the consistencies in a 1000+ page book would be impractical in this format, and an unfair burden, especially if I am right, Con will have the first word in evidence, and I must respond. My objective is to demonstrate that the character of God as described in the Bible has been consistent throughout.
hielispace

Con

The first commandment (as stated in in Exodus is 20:3) is "You shall have no other gods before[a] me. You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them..." It goes on but that is the important part, Jesus is a being from "earth below" and therefore, according to the first (or secound if you're Jewish) is violated and therefore makes the God of the OT inconsistent to the NT. That's my opening argument, let's have fun and try to stay productive!
Skynet

Pro

Thanks for accepting.

My opponent opens and argues that nothing of the Earth should be worshiped, according to the commandments God gave through Moses. I agree with this. The next part of the argument claims that since Jesus was a human, which reside on Earth, and come from the Earth, it goes against the commandment of God to worship Jesus the Son of Man.

Genesis 18:

God and two angels take human form 400 years before the Commandment through Moses and eat a meal served by Abraham:

Now the Lord appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day. ….. He took curds and milk and the calf which he had prepared, and placed it before them; and he was standing by them under the tree as they ate.

Genesis 32:24-30

God takes human form and wrestles with Jacob:

Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. ... “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” He said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.” Then Jacob asked him and said, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And he blessed him there. So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.”

Judges 6:11-17

God takes human form to commission Gideon:

Then the angel of the Lord came and sat under the oak that was in Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite as his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the wine press in order to save it from the Midianites. The angel of the Lord appeared to him and said to him, “The Lord is with you, O valiant warrior.” Then Gideon said to him, “O my lord, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us? And where are all His miracles which our fathers told us about, saying, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.” The Lord looked at him and said, “Go in this your strength and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian. Have I not sent you?” He said to Him, “O Lord, how shall I deliver Israel? Behold, my family is the least in Manasseh, and I am the youngest in my father’s house.” But the Lord said to him, “Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat Midian as one man.” So Gideon said to Him, “If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who speak with me.”

Here we see three accounts of God taking human form. To Abraham, he appears as an ordinary man, then eats a physical meal with his body. To Jacob, he takes on a human body and wrestles with him. To Gideon he appears so ordinary that Gideon doesn't recognize him as anything other than an ordinary human until He clues Gideon in that he is God through hints in the conversation. God has a history of taking the form of a man to interact with us, even well before Jesus and the commandment by Moses. Moses also bowed down to the burning bush, which God was indwelling, and Daniel prayed toward the Temple (earthly throne of God) when he was in Babylon. These people don't worship the body of the Angel of the Lord, the Temple itself, or the burning bush. Jesus also lifted his eyes to heaven when he prayed in public to God. That does not mean he was worshiping the sky. They are worshiping God when he appears in physical form, not the physical form. There is no contradiction between the commandment to worship only God, and worshiping Him when he takes physical form.
hielispace

Con

hielispace forfeited this round.
hielispace

Con

hielispace forfeited this round.
Posted by That1User 1 year ago
That1User
Thank you Skynet.
Posted by Skynet 1 year ago
Skynet
Con's position now accommodates the position That1User described.
Posted by Skynet 1 year ago
Skynet
That1User: I've heard it stated both ways. I'll consider making Con's position more open.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
I'm tempted. But you know, no man can beat Skynet. :/

Seriously though, I am tempted. If I come back tomorrow and this isn't taken, I'll bite.
Posted by That1User 1 year ago
That1User
I haven't heard anyone who is saying that God in the OT and the NT are different deities. What I have heard, however, is that God changed His character in the OT and the NT. If you change this then I will be willing to accept.