KingDebater
mortimor

The childrens' TV show Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.

KingDebater

KingDebater

Pro

As comforting as it may be, I will be arguing that the childrens' television programme Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.

When my little sister turns over to watch Peppa Pig, I do worry that her expectations of reality may cause her to feel disappointed when she has to grow up and face the real world.

For this debate, I specify that semantics or trolling will result in an embarrassing 1-point loss and that the burden of proof on each side shall be equal.

I thank you.
mortimor

Con

Greetings,

Peppa Pig is a cartoon. It isn't a documentary. Children's shows, which are a majority of the time cartoons, are not created to represent reality. Five year olds don't even know what reality is. Children watch cartoons because they are entertaining and cartoons spark imagination and creativity. Children don't grow up and become upset when they realize that everything they watched in that one cartoon when they were five years old had nothing to do with real life. That's not how things work. I understood, as a 4 year old, that while I watched Tom and Jerry, my cat wasn't chasing a mouse with a knife. As I grew up and continued to understand that animals don't chase each other with weapons, I was not disappointed.
KingDebater

Pro

I thank Con for accepting, but I do believe that Con has become sidetracked from the resolution. The resolution is "The Childrens' TV show Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.', so I will argue that this statement is true and Con will be arguing that the resolution is false. He has yet to present arguments supporting his case, and without further ado, I shall present my arguments.

#1: Peppa Pig is misleading when showing what sort of jobs animals can do.
If we just look at one episode of peppa pig [1], we can see that animals have the opportunity to do a lot of jobs that we in reality see humans doing, but if we look at a factual article on the list of jobs that animals do [2]. these jobs we saw animals do in Peppa pig are nowhere to be seen. This means that Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.

#2: Peppa Pig makes a phenomenal underestimation of the complexity of a real job.
Even if we look at a list of the easiest jobs to do, there are still a lot of jobs that are more complex than the jobs seen being done in Peppa Pig, such as plumbing, repairing and being a sports agent [3]. We can then compare this to the jobs seen being done in Peppa Pig [1] and see that Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.

#3: Positioning of houses
If we do a google images search for 'Peppa Pig houses', we see a lot of houses on hills [4], but if we do a google images search for 'houses', we see that in reality, the vast minority of houses are positioned on hills [5]. Even if we do a google search for 'houses on hills', we see that the vast majority of houses on hills are on the side of hills [6], not on top of hills like in Peppa Pig. This means that Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality.

I have presented three arguments that even if presented on their own, would demonstrate that Peppa Pig does not showcase a fair representation of reality. Con has failed to refute my arguments are present arguments supporting his case, that the Childrens' TV show Peppa Pig showcases a fair representation of reality. I urge a vote for Pro.

[1]http://www.channel5.com...
[2]
[3]http://www.iretireearly.com...
[4]http://goo.gl...
[5]http://goo.gl...
[6]http://goo.gl...
mortimor

Con

Yah you're right. I forfeit the remainder of the rounds!
Posted by SuperiorArsenal 3 years ago
SuperiorArsenal
What a trap of a debate. Really? A cartoon aimed at a target audience of 5-year olds doesn't hold true to reality? Go figure.

It is especially trap-like when, in the OP, you say "I do worry that her expectations of reality may cause her to feel disappointed when she has to grow up and face the real world," setting a stage where Con would argue against that, being the only real point of contention. Then, despite your rule against semantics, you point that Con did not follow the topic to the letter.
Posted by tvellalott 3 years ago
tvellalott
Would you like to debate this with me?
Vote Placed by SuperiorArsenal 3 years ago
SuperiorArsenal
KingDebatermortimorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro broke both of his own rules (The debate itself is troll-like in nature, and he used semantics to some extent), so that nets Con the point for conduct, but Con FF'ed, so...
Vote Placed by airmax1227 3 years ago
airmax1227
KingDebatermortimorTied