pricillaann
mecap

The choice to terminate a pregnancy should be defined as the murdering of a child and is wrong.

pricillaann

Pro

I am not versed in any debate techniques and I've never learned any formal rules, so I am simply going to type as if I were having a discussion (as many debates on here are). I also am starting this mostly because I'd like to understand the stance of pro-choicers before and after I state my thoughts. I also do not study medicine, so my knowledge on the facts is that of a general sort. I will accept medical and scientific facts of course and will try not to make claims that could be backed by facts, that are not. Also, I notice lots of debates on here edging towards condescending and involving great emotion, and I'd truly like to avoid that if possible.

I read another debate on abortion where the con defined abortion and murder, claiming that the statement "abortion is murder" was incorrect, even though it was clear what the pro meant. I am making the same claim, and do not need definitions to make my claim wrong even though it's understood. I think the choosing to have an abortion should be defined as murder, because in my opinion (and as far as my education on the matter has taken me) it appears to be.

My thoughts on when life begins are fuzzy and open for debate, but as for now, I believe it begins at conception. After all, if the fetus is left alone, it would (in healthy cases) grow and eventually be born, with no interference from the mother. The heart beats at around five weeks, so I have a hard time understanding the thought that a fetus is not also a living human being.

The moment another human is alive inside of a woman's body, that body no longer is only hers. It is an incubator. To claim that a woman has choice to do what she wants with her body is correct; however, a pregnant woman has another body inside of hers. She should not have the right to end the life of that baby just as she would not if the baby were nine months old, and newly born.

I'll leave it at this for now to see what other arguments there are as I've never actually had a conversation about this with somebody who was educated and pro-life.

mecap

Con

I'll skip the whole gray area of when life begins, when the fetus becomes a person and what rights does it get... etc. Let's get right to the point:
If we define the choice to abort as MURDER, then we should prosecute the people who perform abortions as if it were a murder. In that case, the mother would be prosecuted for making the choice, and the doctor would be prosecuted for assisting the murder (note that the although the doctor performs the abortion, the doctor did not make the choice and my opponent said that the choice is with the mother). I will show several situations where the choice of the mother should not be considered as murder (assuming my opponent wants to label ALL choices of abortion as murder, regardless of the situation).

"She should not have the right to end the life of that baby just as she would not if the baby were nine months old, and newly born."
> I argue that a mother should have the right to end the life of the baby if it's endangering her own life. If at any point of the pregnancy the mother's life is endangered by the baby and the only way to save her life is to perform an abortion, then the mother should be able to make that choice if there are complications that threaten her life. Furthermore, the majority of the time that the mother's life is endangered the baby's life is also endangered, so if the mother dies it becomes VERY difficult to save the baby, so the choice to abort would take residence most of the time.

If your proposal is to call this choice murder, then you're excluding at least one case when the mother does have a choice, but it's between her life and the baby's.

> The second situation is in the early stages of inception... the first several days the fetus is no more than a bunch of dividing cells, so abortion in that stages is probably equivalent to a menstrual cycle- for example an abortion may occur when using the morning after pill. So at the point of inception I believe that there is still time when the choice of the mother should not be taken away, and it should not be considered murder.

Defining EXACTLY how long after the inception the choice should be considered murder is difficult to make, will there be a cutoff day? If you miss that day then do you go to prison? I think a better approach is through education, people should be educated to use contraceptives and they should be educated about options on what to do with the baby (adoption etc.) if the mother doesn't want it.

Conclusion:
I have shown that there are multiple cases when the choice of abortion should not be considered murder, therefore successfully affirming that the choice to terminate a pregnancy (especially in the early stages of inception) should not be considered murder.
pricillaann

Pro

pricillaann forfeited this round.
mecap

Con

Please note my opponent forfeited the last round and all of my arguments should carry on to this one.

Happy New Year!
pricillaann

Pro

pricillaann forfeited this round.
mecap

Con

Please note that my opponent has failed to post an argument yet again... I think this should be an automatic forfeit!

My arguments carry over, please vote for me :).
Thank You!
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
No one treats abortion as murder, so therefore if the definition is somehow fudged it would be a case for fixing the definition, not criminalizing abortion as if it were murder.

It is not possible to win a debate by forfeiting. Con clearlt wins or every account.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
If abortion is murder, fair enough, but the law should then permit the act of murder of a foetus when a woman wishes to terminate her pregnancy.
Posted by mecap 8 years ago
mecap
Should it be labeled as murder even when it's a necessity (the mother's life is in danger, etc.)?
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
pricillaannmecapTied
Vote Placed by mecap 8 years ago
mecap
pricillaannmecapTied