WFTL
ThinkBig

The church of Christ is the one true church.

ThinkBig has forfeited round #3.

WFTL

Pro

The bible is clear, that the churches of Christ is the only true church spoken of in the bible. The church of Christ is the only church that worships according to New Testament scriptures, thus the church of Christ is the only true church spoken of in the bible.

Romans 16:16, Matthew 16:18, Acts 20:7, Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16, Acts 2:38-47, Mark 16:16 1Corinthians 16:2, Matthew 28:19-20, 2 Timothy 3:16, John 4:24.
ThinkBig

Con

I would like to extend to my opponent a warm welcome to debate.org. As this is his first debate here, I wish him the best of luck. I will be arguing that the Catholic Church is the one true church.

This debate assumes that God exists and that the Bible is true.

I will use this round for acceptance only.
WFTL

Pro

Because the churches of Christ worship according to New Testament scripture and the Catholic church goes by oral traditions, which are not inspired, it's therefore a man made church. The churches of Christ was established in AD33, as the Catholic church had it's beginning in AD325, therefore the church of Christ is the one true church.
ThinkBig

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I will first layout a few definitions that are important.

Church of Christ (CoC hereafter): “Churches of Christ are autonomous Christian congregations associated with one another through common beliefs and practices. They seek to base doctrine and practice on the Bible alone in order to be the church described in the New Testament. (https://en.wikipedia.org...)

REBUTTALS

My opponent makes several spurious claims. First, he claims that the CoC was the Church that Jesus founded more than 2,000 years ago. This, however, is false. The CoC is a Protestant group that was not founded until the 19th century (https://www.britannica.com...).

The second claim that he said was that the Catholic Church was founded in the year 313 AD. This too is false. The Catholic church is the only church that has an unbroken chain of history that goes back to the time of Jesus Christ. No other church can claim this.

Next, my opponent attacks Sacred Tradition and endorses Sola Scriptura. The problem is, Sola Scriptura is *NOT* found in the Bible! Take a look at these verses:

II Thessalonians 2:15 (KJV) states, “Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.”

My opponent must show where in the Bible it teaches Sola Scriptura.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, my opponent’s arguments are bare assertions and do not hold any water. In order for my opponent to show that the CoC is the true Church, he must show that it is the Church Jesus founded and must show *HOW* the CoC aligns with the New Testament. Furthermore, I have shown that the doctrines he uses to attack the Catholic Church with are, in fact, Scriptural.

In the next round, I will go into more detail about the Catholic Church and how we know it is the true Church.

WFTL

Pro

The churches of Christ are mentioned in Romans 16:16, whereas the Catholic church is never mentioned in the bible. For there claim to be true that we were established in the 19th century, he then has to deal with this claim of our established date and the fact that history provides well documented proof of our existence before the 19th century, http://traces-of-the-kingdom.org....

Secondly my opponent says the Catholic church has an unbroken chain of history, and also states no other church can claim that, without submitting any evidence to substantiate his claim.

Next my opponent states oral traditions of the Catholic church to be sacred, inspired which he again gives no proof other than 2 Thessalonians 2:15 [KJV] which is not speaking of any Catholic traditions, as it's speaking of the traditions of the first century Christians, for instance, the Catholic church states that an infant must be baptized to be forgiven of original sin.
There's no such scripture anywhere in the bible that backs that up as being a tradition of the first century Christians, none. I submit these verses to show what baptism is for and for what.

1. Baptism is for believers only, as supported by these verses taken from the scriptures, Acts 2:38King James Version (KJV)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

2.Mark 16:16King James Version (KJV)

16 He that believable and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believable not shall be damned.

3. Infants are incapable of willfully sinning and thus are not in need of any repentance of their sins, or original sin, as this scripture states, Ezekiel 18:20King James Version (KJV)

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
4.Open the New Testament and read it from cover to cover. Where does any verse of Scripture claim apostolic succession? What the Scriptures claim is that the Scriptures alone hold the "fullness of the means of salvation" because they teach the truth regarding Jesus (Romans 1:16; II Timothy 3:16,17; II Peter 1:19-21; 3:15,16).

Popes and councils over the centuries have originated doctrines foreign to the pages of the New Testament. And the early Protestants saw it. They could read.

They could understand the Scriptures -- and they didn't need Popes and councils to tell them so. They threw out vestments; sacraments; instrumental music; they gave both elements of the Lord's Supper to the people; priests married and monasticism was scrapped; fast days and masses for the dead were abandoned; relics and images were smashed.

Some read further and discovered that only adult believers were baptized and so they ceased baptizing infants. Others saw only congregations as being the organization of the church. http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org...

5.Martin Luther told secular and Church officials at the Diet of Worms: "Unless I am convinced by scripture and plain reason -- I cannot accept the authority of popes and councils because they have contradicted each other -- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org...

6. The words in ll Thessalonians 2:15 which states "our epistle " is in reference to the traditions of scripture, not any out of the bible epistle which is man made as the oral traditions are found to be of the Catholic faith.

7.
Sola Scriptura Power texts

Quick Reference

1 Cor 4:6: Jesus said, "upon this rock I will build My church" and Paul warned: "in building the church, do not exceed scripture!"

Luke 1:1-4: Luke begins by mentioning uninspired gospels by Christians, then the oral tradition of the apostles and concludes that scripture alone will allow Theophilus to know for certain what the truth is.

Matthew 4:1-11. Three times Jesus was tempted by the Devil and each time Jesus replied exactly the same three dangerous words that defeated the Devil: "IT IS WRITTEN" Read it for yourself! If any one could have used oral tradition, it was Jesus, yet he chose the only safe and sure way to defeat Satan: Scripture. We just with that the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches held scripture alone in the same high regard!

2 Timothy 3:16-17: No matter how traditionalists twist it, it still says that scripture alone is all-sufficient to equip us for EVERY good work.

"2 Timothy 3:16-17 doesn't say the Bible is all sufficient by itself."
"How could 2 Timothy 3:16 teach the all-sufficiency of scripture, when several New Testament books were not even written yet?"

Luke 10:26: "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?" Jesus expected even his enemies to correctly interpret the Bible by simply reading and studying it. Unlike Jesus, Catholics and Orthodox don't ask you what you think scripture says, they just tell you how their church interprets it and you have no choice but to accept what they tell you.

Acts 17:11-12: Even though the apostles were inspired with genuine oral revelation, they always directed people to the scriptures for the final determination of truth. Oral tradition is worthless without the witness of scripture! Unlike the apostles, Catholics and Orthodox would never send you to scripture, since they don't think you can even understand it!

8.
I. Scripture is how we are reminded of oral traditions, proving oral tradition is replace by scripture:

"This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles." 2 Peter 3:1-2

1.Here we have a reference to oral traditions, "spoken beforehand".

2.Although traditionalists claim oral tradition, they cannot come up with even one phrase or the apostles Jesus said, that is not recorded in scripture!

3.Yet Peter uses scripture as the method of reminding Christians of this oral tradition.

4.Since there is no known "oral tradition" of the specific words spoken, it is obvious that scripture replaced oral tradition.

J. Scripture alone brings certainty in the midst of various oral traditions, proving oral tradition is unreliable: Luke 1:1-4

1."Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught." Luke 1:1-4

2.Luke begins by mentioning uninspired gospels by Christians, then the oral tradition of the apostles and concludes that scripture alone will allow Theophilus to know for certain what the truth is. http://www.bible.ca...

CONCLUSION

In conclusion my opponents arguments are fatally flawed, as proof beyond doubt has been well documented and given to substantiate my claim, that the church of Christ is the one true church. I humbly wait for my worthy opponent to post his proof to prove his premise.
Posted by WFTL 2 months ago
WFTL
Hey Emmarie, hope all is well. I want to thank you my dear precious friend for your time to participate in this debate. I enjoyed it immensely, and hope you and I continue in the future on debating, In Christian love.
Posted by WFTL 2 months ago
WFTL
Oh great, now I haven't a clue on how to cancel it.
Posted by WFTL 2 months ago
WFTL
Due to my opponent having technical difficulty with this site, I have decided in fairness to cancel the debate.
Posted by Varto 2 months ago
Varto
Many religions have holy books that claim their church is the real one your quotes form a bible are not proof...Use your mind before posting debate.