Sneakie
johngriswald

The circle is more superior then the square.

johngriswald

Sneakie

Pro

Seeing as this is my first time on debate.com, I will allow Con to go first. Keep in mind I am only a child so be kind. This is not to be taken seriously, just for laughs.
johngriswald

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for making this debate.

I await my opponent's affirmation, definitions, and supporting information for the affirmation.

Affirmation - an affirmation is a statement you are trying to debate for. Usually done in the "I affirm that _Topic___of___debate" format. In this case your affirmation would be I affirm that circle is more superior than the square.

Definitions and Explanation: Here is where you should define the words: circle, square, and superior, and set up a strict standard for the what is square/circle/superior and what isn't. Make it clear where to draw the line between each one. These lines should be clearly distinguishable. By which standards should this debate be judged? Should judges weighed based on who gains the most laughter? Proves his point the most? Is more creative in his arguments? If so how do they rank with the other categories in terms of importance? Are they 3-d or 2-d? Do rectangles count as squares in this debate? In what context are they superior? In terms of size, uses in architecture, in life, as a shape of currency? Specify in which terms they are superior.

Supporting Information - This is where you would include reasons why the Circle is superior to the square in whatever terms you specify. What would the world be like without circles? The supporting information should utilize your definitions and explanations. You should clearly show why the Circle is more superior (in whatever context you are debating). As the person who created the resolution, you have the burden of proof and thus must prove, (using your definitions and explanations) along with examples factual/logical information why the circle is superior to the square. You should also give your opinion on other shapes, is the circle superior to them as well? If so why?

Thanks and good luck on the debate!
Sneakie

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for this timely response and easy to follow outline.

I affirm that circle is more superior than the square

Specifically the circle and the square. Seeing as a sphere is a 3-D object, this debate will be on the 2-D object, the circle. Considering a square is also a rectangle, you may use a rectangle in your response.
I will now list the reasons why a circle is far more superior compared to a rectangle.

Mobility - On a line, the circle is able to move almost effortlessly anywhere on a line. A square can only sit, and wait patiently for a circle to roll onto its side so it can slide for a brief moment. A circle can go down a slope with more speed or gracefulness then a square. A square will simply slide or tumble down a slope.

Sides - A circle has infinite amount of sides, whereas a square only has 4. Infinity > 4.

Structure - A circle can bounce on a line if dropped, unlike a square, which would only fall and land.
johngriswald

Con

===> I N T R O D U C T I O N <===

I would like to thank my opponent for clearing up his resolution along with his contentions.

===> D E F I N I T I O N S <===

For clarity I pose the following definitions:

Side - part of a boundry

===> A R G U M E N T <===

My opponent has made 3 criterion for being "superior" in relation to a square: Mobility, Sides, and Structure.

I will address each contention peace-meal.

--> Mobility <--
My opponent has let us know that we are debating a 2-D object. With that said 2-D objects cannot move, thus this point is moot. However on the subject of mobility, squares are used to make cube. Cubes are used for boxes. I do not see any circles being used to construct boxes. We as the human race use boxes to transport our goods across the country. Circular boxes would be inconvenient, waste storage space, roll around and damage goods, and make it difficult to carry. Wheras square boxes optimize storage space and allow thousands of people who ship their goods when moving to save space and thus money. Therefore it can be argued that the square shape in terms of mobility is more mobile and more economically efficient then a circle.

--> Sides <--
My opponent has stated that a circle has an infinite amount of sides, however he would be completely false. As is clear from the definition a circle as in a circular disk. A disk has only two sides, a top side and a bottom side. Or looked at differently a circle has only 2 sides, an inside and an outside. Meaning that it has 2 sides. This is equal in both aspects to that of a square.

-->Structure<--
2-D figures cannot bounce, thus this point is moot. Furthermore even if we were talking about 3-D figures the shape does not determine whether it will bounce but rather the material it made out of. A circle made of lead which lands a lead surface will not bounce. However a rubber square that lands on a lead surface will.

===> C O N C L U S I O N <===

I have refuted all three of my opponent's contentions with ease and have proven that the circle is no more superior than a square. Furthermore I have even taken a step towards proving a square to be more superior than a circle in terms of mobility(by my opponent's criterion).

Vote Con as Pro's contentions have been negated and he has the burden of proof which he has failed to meet.
Sneakie

Pro

Sneakie forfeited this round.
johngriswald

Con

Extend my position. Vote Con as Pro's contentions have been negated and he has the burden of proof which he has failed to meet. He has forfeited the concluding round which should cause him to lose the conduct point.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Everything but Sources to Con.
studentathletechristian8
"The circle is more superior than the square" just is not proper. The phrase "more superior" is not grammatically correct. Your use of "then" is also incorrect. Simply, the resolution should be, "The circle is superior to the square."
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
"Sides - A circle has infinite amount of sides, whereas a square only has 4. Infinity > 4."

Sides - A circle has no sides, wheras a square has 4. 4 > 0.
Posted by Sneakie 7 years ago
Sneakie
Is the not the same as "The circle is more superior then the square" ?
studentathletechristian8
Your resolution doesn't even make sense.

It should simply be, "The circle is superior [in comparison] to the square."
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
SneakiejohngriswaldTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
SneakiejohngriswaldTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
SneakiejohngriswaldTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
SneakiejohngriswaldTied