jcool4debate
coolman

The color of blue is overused.

Con Tied Pro
Started: 1/5/2008 Category: Arts

jcool4debate

Con

You have said numerous times that "the color of blue is dead", meaning that it is overused in art, advertising, websites, etc... My contention is that it is a beautful color, other colors get their fair share of exposure, and that there are important reasons why blue gets the attention that it does.
coolman

Pro

Haha, this is a good one. Should be fun. So here we go.

For a quick correction, I often say, "Blue is dead TO ME." As everyone has their own favorite color, I realize color preference is a matter of opinion. I have simply to give other colors a fighting chance. I don't disagree that blue is a beautiful color, only that it is heavily overused, especially considering that colors such as orange, green, yellow, red, and purple are also beautiful.

To argue the overusage of blue, I will break this down into categories:

I. From where I am sitting, at my workplace, the I see the following items:

-Blue mousepad
-Blue computer speakers
-Blue stereo/CD player
-Blue banners on the walls to indicate shelf sections
-Blue bank bag
-Blue highlighters
-Blue trash can
-Blue flyers
-Blue network cables

The banners and flyers are the only ones that are blue simply because our company uses blue as a marketing color, the rest of them are blue, well, just because...

II. Products/marketing:

-To segue, I am also using a Windows computer. Yes, Microsoft Windows allows for color customization (which, in my quest to give other colors more attention, I now use fully), but the default color scheme is heavily blue! Blue task bar, blue scroll bars, blue window headers. Internet Explorer's 'e' icon is.....drumroll please.....BLUE!!!

-The following is a list of companies/websites that use blue as a key color in their product/marketing scheme:
>Wal-Mart
>Google (their logo is multi-colored, but for best example go to gmail.com)
>MSN.com/Hotmail
>U.S. Cellular
>Alltel
>AT&T (wireless.att.com)
>Facebook.com
>Intel.com
>istockphoto.com
>photobucket.com
>Sears
>Best Buy
>Old Navy
>Culver's
>Long John Silver's
>Blue Cross Blue Shield
>GAP
>American Family Insurance
>Farmers Insurance
>Yahoo.com (red logo, but website is heavily blue)
>Pepsi
>Blockbuster
>Ford (ford.com)
>Chevrolet (chevrolet.com)
>Mazda (mazda.com)

I could go a lot further, and I will if necessary. But that will do for now.

III. Nature:

-And this isn't even overuse by people! The ocean appears blue, the sky is blue. You can hardly escape it!

-----------------------

Feel free to argue why blue deserves the attention it gets, but my challenge is to argue why it is more deserving than the rest of the color spectrum.
jcool4debate

Con

I will point out that you SEE blue more based on your dislike of it, NOT because it is overused.

I look around, my mousepad is red. My speakers and monitor are black. My computer is silver. My network cable is red. In fact, I don't see a single blue item in this room (basement, you've been there). If I drive down my road, I see a nice balance. Jimmy John's, McDonalds, Burger King, Village Inn - not blue. In no way do I see blue hogging the show, and my neighborhood is consistent with what you will see across the country.

The sky is blue only roughly half of the 24-hour day, it shares its time generously with black the other half of the time. In the day, there are other colorful objects that share the sky, namely, the yellow-orange-red sun, and the white clouds. Further, if you take a minute or two in the morning or evening, the sky also can be brilliant colors of red and orange. Also remember that the sky is only half of the visible landscape. The land itself is heavily green in summer, yellow to orange in the fall, and white to brown in the winter. These colors don't share with blue on the ground, unless you want to consider water, which last time I checked you live in the midwest so this can't possible factor into your bias that much. Blue is left out of the show in nature for the most part - when was the last time you saw a blue dog, a blue tree, or blue dirt?

As for marketing, I can assure you that for each item you mentioned, there is a competitor with a different color scheme. For example, check out Honda and Toyota's sites - red. Lexus, black. Infiniti, silver, black, orange. Wal-mart has blue, but Target has red. What about Coca-Cola? Also, note that you distain for blue is causing you to ignore other colors around it - you even mention other colors in several examples. What about the yellow in Best Buy? Blue shares the pepsi logo equally with red, as well as white.

Last time I checked, you were a Chicago Bulls and a Nebraska Cornhusker fan. You may work at U.S. Cellular but you own a Sprint phone. None of these are blue based. You are a republican (red), not democrat (blue). Your first and second cars were red, EVEN though you didn't choose them. Neither your high school team or college teams were blue. Your wife's car is red. I contend that you didn't choose any of these things because of color - they have just occurred to be colors other than blue because I am right - blue shares the spotlight fairly with other colors of the spectrum.
coolman

Pro

>>"You have said numerous times that "the color of blue is dead", meaning that it is overused in art, advertising, websites, etc... My contention is that it is a beautful color, other colors get their fair share of exposure, and that there are important reasons why blue gets the attention that it does."

I disagree, I don't dislike blue just because I dislike blue. I never had a problem with blue until about a year ago when I realized the extent of the special attention it receives over other colors.

As for the colors in your surroundings, I'll just say it's a good thing you recently moved your computer from your old office room into your newly finished basement. Because weren't the walls of your old office painted blue? Ah yes, maybe my expression of opinion in the matter subconsciously affected your decision of color for your newly finished basement.

And I stand by my statement that blue receives more attention than other colors. I did a Google search for 'favorite color poll'. The top four results linked to online public polls which had blue as the leader. Here are the links:

- http://desktoppub.about.com...
- http://www.krstarica.com...
- http://webdesign.about.com...
- http://www.misterpoll.com...

Yes, for every company I name that uses blue as a primary color, you could name one that doesn't. That is simply because there are millions of businesses out there and even more websites - it would take forever to make it to the end results. However, if we WERE to play that game long enough, I believe that blue would absolutely come out as the victor by an overwhelming margin.

You say that I ignore other colors because of my distain for blue, and then your very next statement confirms that I mentioned many other colors in my list. Contradictory, obviously I'm not ignoring them. The reason I pointed out other colors was so the average reader who knows that Yahoo's logo, for example, is red, would receive clarification that I was speaking of the color scheme of the website. And yes, Best Buy's logo is partially yellow, but the majority of their scheme is blue - you can see this by going to the website or even any of their retail locations.

Never did I say that other colors don't exist, or that every company uses blue, or that everything I've ever owned or been a fan of is blue. But blue IS more heavily used than other colors. For whatever reason, blue IS favorited by more people than other colors.

I don't hate blue. I agree that blue is a beautifully color, and I never said it wasn't. I'll reiterate from my first post, I have simply decided to give other colors a fighting chance. Right now, it's like blue is standing in the spotlight and only the outermost edges of the light's beam touches the other colors. Either share the spotlight, or get a spotlight that can illuminate the entire stage.
jcool4debate

Con

jcool4debate forfeited this round.
coolman

Pro

To try to keep this fair, since my opponent failed to post any further arguments, I will not post any new arguments either. I feel my last round sufficiently demonstrated my point that blue receives more attention than the other, equally beautiful colors, and there is no way to prove that it DESERVES that extra attention. Blue is the most common choice of 'favorite color' (as shown by the links I provided in round 2). Blue is heavily used in advertising and marketing - moreso than other colors. I believe my reasons behind 'giving other colors a chance' are valid ones.
Posted by coolman 9 years ago
coolman
THANK YOU! I'm glad there are those who agree with me!
Posted by miuki13 9 years ago
miuki13
blue is the most overused color and too many people like it!
Posted by coolman 9 years ago
coolman
Actually, to that I would argue that blue is OVERPREFERRED and THEREFORE overused. I absolutely realize that people tend to prefer blue, the question I pose is WHY? Everyone loves blue, they use it so much, WHY? In this debate I answer the CONs challenge to argue that the other colors are equally beautiful, which is why I have taken the stand to give them more attention than blue. Sure, color preference is a matter of opinion, but in this debate my intention is to justify MY REASONING behind giving other colors my attention. The links I provided absolutely support that justification.
Posted by Cobjob 9 years ago
Cobjob
Pro, I think you shot yourself in the foot. The links you provided proved that people prefer blue, so the overuse is justified.
Posted by jcool4debate 9 years ago
jcool4debate
Yes, partyboat, but shsh. I was saving that for the last round.
Posted by Partyboat 9 years ago
Partyboat
Isn't blue and yellow suppose to be the easiest on the eyes. If so that is why blue is a popular color on web pages.
Posted by coolman 9 years ago
coolman
Typo correction:

In my second paragraph, third sentence, it should read, "I have simply DECIDED to..."

My bad.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by meganlg43 9 years ago
meganlg43
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by miuki13 9 years ago
miuki13
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by Cobjob 9 years ago
Cobjob
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by chiwawatang 9 years ago
chiwawatang
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by tjzimmer 9 years ago
tjzimmer
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
jcool4debatecoolmanTied
Vote Placed by coolman 9 years ago
coolman
jcool4debatecoolmanTied