The commandment to rest on the Sabbath was changed by the Christian Bible

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

-Christian Bible is the standard 66 books.
-Sabbath Day is the Jewish Sabbath observed from sundown on Friday (the 6th day of the week) until sundown on Saturday (the 7th day of the week).
-Sunday is the first day of the week and begins Saturday at sundown.

Pro: BoP to show that the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy by not doing any work (Exodus 20 - The Ten Commandments) was either changed to Sunday or completely abolished.
Con: BoP to show plausible deniability that the command to rest on the Sabbath was changed by what is written in the Christian Bible.

The definition of work is not what is being debated. Because Yeshua Jesus kept the Law of Moses, it is assumed that He kept Sabbath the way in which it is to be kept.

I will only argue that the Sabbath is no longer applicable to the New Covenant for salvation.

I am glad to debate Jellon :) and with that, i pass it back to him

Thank you Truth_Seeker for taking me up on this debate. You've been my best friend on DDO for some time now. Having judged each others debates for so long, it is exciting to have our first debate against each other.

I didn't say anything about salvation. Salvation seems out of place in this debate. The Law of Moses, specifically in the Ten Commandments, teaches us not to steal. We both agree that stealing is included in the Law of Moses and that according to the Bible, stealing is wrong. We both agree that keeping the Sabbath is part of the Law of Moses, and listed in the Ten Commandments, but we disagree that the Bible teaches us to keep the Sabbath. It is not a question of salvation, but of right and wrong as taught by the Bible.

Opening Arguments
Obviously, the Tanahk (Old Testament) teaches to keep the Sabbath. If the Sabbath was abolished, one would expect the authors of the Brit HaDasha (New Testament) to say so. Outside the Tanahk (Old Testament), no direct commandments are given with regards to the Sabbath. It is not explicitly stated that the Sabbath no long needs to be kept.
What we do see in the Bible is the apostles and their disciples keeping the Sabbath. When Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) arrives in Jerusalem in Acts 21, he is told there are a number of converts to Christianity who are all very zealous for keeping the Law of Moses who have heard rumors that he's teaching Jewish people not to keep the Law of Moses. The leaders recommend a course of action to dispel the rumors and to show the community that he still keeps the Law of Moses too; Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) complied. If taken to be true, this is proof that he not only taught the Jewish people to keep the Law of Moses, but he kept the Law of Moses himself. Although there are approximately 85 examples of keeping the Sabbath in the book of Acts (including Jews and Greeks), I will only name 2: Acts 17:2 and Acts 13:14. These two show that it was his practice to attend Sabbath meetings in the synagogues. Acts 17 establishes it as his custom. Acts 13 establishes that he went to attend, not just to preach.

Although there is no examples of the Sabbath being dismissed by the Christian scriptures, we do see examples of other laws being dismissed. For example, priestly law, including animal sacrifices, is proclaimed to be no longer needed (Hebrews 10), even though the law was still in effect. We see examples of the Kosher (dietary) laws being done away with (Mark 7, Acts 10, Romans 14). As this is a topic we agree on (although I keep Kosher myself for religious reasons) I will not present the rebuttal given by those who insist on teaching Kosher. It is explicitly stated that circumcision is no longer important in the Christian scriptures (Romans 2:29, Galatians 2:3).
So, we see examples of many laws being explicitly fulfilled. The Sabbath is not one of them. Furthermore, the Sabbath is given in the Ten Commandments. Of the Ten Commandments, the commandment regarding the Sabbath is the only commandment claimed by Christians to no longer be in effect.

We see no examples in the Christian scriptures of anyone not keeping the Sabbath. We do see plenty of examples of those who did keep the Sabbath. For example, we read in Acts 20 about Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) teaching a sermon until midnight of the first day of the week. Because days were counted at sundown, midnight on the first day of the week occurs Saturday night before Sunday morning. This was and is a common Jewish practice called havdalah [1]. The point of a havdalah service is to observe the passing of the Sabbath, to emphasize the difference between the Sabbath and the rest of the week. Havdalah is a tradition so ancient, its origin is unknown [2]. It was well established by the time the Christian scriptures were written. Given that Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) kept the Jewish tradition so carefully, there is little doubt he was not celebrating havdalah the night recorded in Acts 20. To those who read Acts 20, I'd like to point out that havdalah is observed after Sabbath ends at sundown on Saturday night. So, the first day of the week begins Saturday night at sundown. Havdalah, then, is observed on the first day of the week, which is Saturday night. I should also point out that the events in Acts 20 took place in North-West Asia [3]. "Macedonian and Roman colony." We have no indication that the local believers were all Jewish. It is reasonable to believe that Greeks were present in that service. To be extra clear, Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) was leading a ceremony that distinguished between the sacredness of the Sabbath and mundane rest of the week. In fact, the Hebrew word havdalah literally means "separation" [4].

We see several laws being declared as unimportant by the Christian scriptures. The Sabbath is not one of them. In contrast, we see the sacredness of the Sabbath being observed by Jews and Greeks.

Thanks Jellon, I would like to begin with the theological concept of the Sabbath.

Gen. 2:3 "And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested (Shabbat) from all his work of creation."

The Archaeological study Bible points that there is no end to the rest mentioned in Gen. 2. Exodus 16 is the 1st time the term "Shabbaton" is mentioned in reference to an observance (1). In the creation, notice that all of mankind and animals rested. What caused man to toil the ground and leave this rest? Sin. In Exodus 20:8-11

"8 Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labour and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

The Hebrew word "Qadosh" means "to set apart (2). Israel was set apart to God for a special purpose, thus one of God's commandments given to his holy people was to remember the Sabbath day by keeping it.

Exodus 31:12-17

"12 The Lord said to Moses: 13 "Tell the Israelites: You must observe My Sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, so that you will know that I am Yahweh who sets you apart. 14 Observe the Sabbath, for it is holy to you. Whoever profanes it must be put to death. If anyone does work on it, that person must be cut off from his people. 15 Work may be done for six days, but on the seventh day there must be a Sabbath of complete rest, dedicated to the Lord. Anyone who does work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites must observe the Sabbath, celebrating it throughout their generations as a perpetual [Olam] covenant. 17 It is a sign forever between Me and the Israelites, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, but on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed."

The Hebrew word "Olam" can mean forever or a really long time. Here are a few examples to compare the two definitions (3). How do we know whether or not God meant forever or simply a long time in this passage? I'll explain later.

Between the intertestamental period, the rabbis began placing restrictions of the Sabbath. Yeshua (Jesus) ignored their teachings and did his father's divine work on the Sabbath. No where in the Torah does it forbid doing the works of God. He stressed the importance of the law which was mercy (Matt. 12:1-14).

Now in the New Testament, it's important to make a distinction between a Jew and a Gentile. Throughout this debate, i will explain the disputes between Jews and Gentiles on the Torah and how it relates to Yeshua. The purpose of Paul's ministry is given in Acts 9:15-16

"He is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name"s sake."

Acts 17:1-3 does not imply that the Sabbath was to be kept, simply that Paul walked in on a Sabbath day and preached the Gospel to the Jews.

"When Paul and his companions had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. 2 As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. "This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah, he said."

Acts 13 is also an example of how God preached to the Jews, not implying that the Sabbath was to be enforced.

Now Acts 20 follows the same principle. Acts 21 does not support that Paul kept the Torah. V. 19 demonstrates that salvation coming from the Jews is given to the Gentiles as well. V. 21 is where a rumor is spread that Paul is teaching against Torah observance. V. 22-24 then explain that Paul went to dispel the rumor by putting on a show.

Paul recognized the importance of witnessing to Jews and Gentiles as well. Paul says this in 1 Cor. 9:20 "When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law."

Things to consider:

1. Col. 2 speaks of the fullness which is in the Messiah and then it says in v. 16-17 "16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." The Sabbath observance itself has been nullified by faith in the Messiah.

2. Heb. 4:1-11

" Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

"So I declared on oath in my anger,
"They shall never enter my rest.""

And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "On the seventh day God rested from all his works." 5 And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it "Today". This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God"s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience."

Previously in chapter 3, Paul spoke about how The Messiah is greater than Moses and heir over God's own house. If by disobedience to God's ways we fail to enter God's rest then it is only by faith in the Messiah that we enter God's Sabbath!

3. The Hebrew "Olam" is most likely used to refer to a long period of time as we have seen the Messiah fulfill this aspect of the Torah.

Conclusion - The ultimate fulfillment of the Sabbath is expressed by faith in the Messiah, relieving us from our works of salvation and entering into the rest God has prepared for his people not simply for Jews and Gentiles, but for all of mankind.

Gen. 2:3 Hebrew

Pro seems to bring up several examples of the history of Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul) going to the synagogue on the Sabbath and points out that these are not commandments to keep the Sabbath. I agree. Had I intended to use these to suggest such, I would have already.

I would like to address two specific passages Pro gave. First of all is Colossians 2:16-17. Pro quoted the NIV. This passage is quoted with bias. This bias can be shown both by a Greek lexicon (such as Strong's exhaustive concordance) and by comparing different English translations. An easy tool to access all of these is blueletterbible [5]. By comparing the Greek to these three, we will find that the KJV best matches a literal translation of the text including in verse tense. The NLT differs from NIV and KJV in verse 16 by inserting the word "not" into the sentence. This negative is not in the Greek, and clearly an interpretation based on ideological bias. The NIV differs from the KJV and the NLT in verse 17 when it uses a different verb tense. The NIV gives us the impression that the mentioned laws were shadows of things that have already happened. But the KJV and the NLT agree that they have not happened yet.
Furthermore, Colossians 2 is a rebuttal against the Gnostics [6]. I've provided an article on it [7], but some might prefer Wikipedia [8]. Gnosticism is the earliest form of Christian heresy, and it is mentioned several times in the Brit HaDasha (New Testament). For example, see 1 John 4:2 and 2 John 1:7. The Gnostics claim that Messiah didn't come in a human body [7]. The reason we know specifically that Colossians 2 is about Gnosticism is the mention in verse 23 to the extreme punishment of the body which is not practiced in Judaism. According to modern Gnostics, they practice Jewish holidays, including Sabbaths, with specific rituals that the Jewish people do not have [9]. Further evidence that chapter 2 is dealing with Gnosticism is seen in verses 8 where the author warns against empty philosophies and in verse 9 explicitly mentions that Messiah came in a human body. According to contemporary Christian commentary, the Colossians were practicing the Jewish holidays, new moons, and Sabbaths [6]. Since the chapter mentions Gnosticism at the beggining and end of the chapter, the most reasonable interpretation of Colossians 2:16 is a rebuttal against Gnosticism which adds requirements to the Jewish law [9] [10].

Next, I'd like to address Hebrews 4:1-11. My first point is that this chapter does not imply that the observance of Sabbath was abolished. On the contrary, verse 10, as Pro quoted, claims that those who enter G-d's rest will also rest from their works as G-d did on the seventh day of creation mentioned in Genesis. Pro seems to claim that disobedience and faith are opposites. Pro does this, because Hebrews 4 discusses obedience, but not faith. Pro has inserted faith into the chapter not based on the chapter itself, but on a bias. The fact is, faith and obedience go hand in hand throughout all the scriptures [11]. Both Noah and Abraham and mentioned as being righteous by faith expressed by their obedience.

Pro asserts, "The Hebrew 'Olam' is most likely used to refer to a long period of time as we have seen the Messiah fulfill this aspect of the Torah." Pro fails to provide any evidence for this claim. If I agreed that the interpretation of "Olam" in this context was a long period of time, Pro has not given conclusive evidence that the long period of time has already come to an end. In contrast, I have shown that Sabbath was observed by early Christians including Rabbi Sha'ul (Apostle Paul), the church he visited in Acts 20, and the Colossian church. If this Law was believed to no longer be in effect, we would expect an immediate divergence from it that we don't see.

Continued Arguments
There are two references I promised in a comment to address. The first is Mark 2:28. It is clear from contemporary Christian commentary that Yeshua Jesus was opposing the traditional rules imposed by the Pharisees, not the Law of Moses [12]. It is clear this passage is about how to keep the Sabbath, not should the Sabbath be kept [12]. The later is a bias expressed by Christians handed down by tradition, not scripture.

The second passage I promised to address is 1 Corinthians 16:2. Almost every commentary on this passage agrees that the intent of the author was that each person should save some money up at home on the first day of the week [13]. Even Meyer's commentary on this passage proclaims that Sunday was the day of assembling and worship, but concludes that the passage refers to laying up treasures in ones own house. The various commentators in my reference often cite Acts 20:7 as an example of meeting on the first day of the week, but as I showed previously, Paul spoke until midnight, which given the Jewish of havdalah and the Jewish method of telling time would indicate Saturday night, not Sunday night. This is indicated in the Expanded Bible [14].

Many people who bring up the abolishment of any particular law will quote Acts 15:19-21. This passage records the Council at Jerusalem. This passage gives exactly 3 rules for new non-Jewish believers to follow. Obviously, Christians in general don't agree that these are the only 3 rules that Christians should follow. There's a lot more of them! The Council at Jerusalem concluded that, "The Law of Moses has been read in every city from the early days. It has been read in the Jewish places of worship on every Day of Rest [Acts 15:21 NLT]." Two things are implied by this statement: non-Jewish believers are going to synagogue on the Sabbath with the rest of the non-Christian Jews and non-Jewish Christians will learn the Law of Moses from the synagogue. Here is an example where non-Christian Jews are implicitly expected to observe Sabbath with the Jews.

I continue my resolution that the Christian Bible provides us with examples of early Christians observing the Sabbath, and all the Jewish holiday and festivals in the case of Colossians 2. Pro has given no examples of any other practice, nor any teaching that would indicate one should not observe the Sabbath.

First and foremost, i stated in Round 1 "I will only argue that the Sabbath is no longer applicable to the New Covenant for salvation" for the following reason: I'm aware that Jellon is a messianic Jew and i do not believe that messianic Jews should stop following the Sabbath. Salvation is based on faith in the Messiah and yes i do believe that the Torah still has a purpose for us as believers today. However for those who want to remain Gentile Christians, i argue that keeping the Sabbath is not required, but that it can be practiced.

I agree to Jellon's interpretation of Colossians. As for the passage in Hebrews, perhaps i didn't fully explain my position, but Jellon clarified it and we are in agreement. For this round, i will summarize the debate.

"Two things are implied by this statement: non-Jewish believers are going to synagogue on the Sabbath with the rest of the non-Christian Jews and non-Jewish Christians will learn the Law of Moses from the synagogue. Here is an example where non-Christian Jews are implicitly expected to observe Sabbath with the Jews."

I disagree with this statement. Reading further, we see that no where did Paul command that Gentiles observe the Torah, although he does encourage them to:

23 "They wrote this letter by them:

The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,

To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:

24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, "You must be circumcised and keep the law to whom we gave no such commandment"" 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well."

I concede on my position on Olam being only a long time. For Israel, it's a perpetual calling, but for the passage of Jesus and the Pharisees discourse on the Sabbath, he did the divine works of his Father, but neither did he forbid Sabbath observance. I will now argue for why Jesus commandments are not the ten commandments and therefore, Gentiles are only obligated to keep these commandments:

Mt 19:16-19 "And behold, one came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?" And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He *said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Notice that he did not say that we are to keep all of the commandments but furthermore taught that the greatest commandment which was not part of the ten commandments was to love one another.

Jn 15:10-12 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you."

Jesus commandment was to love one another, not to keep the Sabbath and other laws.

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another."

In conclusion:

It's my position that Israel has a special calling along with the Gentiles. Faith alone brings salvation to both Jews and Gentiles. Jews are to observe the Torah not out of works, but to see the Messiah. Gentiles can become Torah observant Jews, but it's not obligated by the New covenant. God has a different calling for them as believers united with Jews in Messiah.

Pro quoted the passage in Acts 15 I previously gave, but Pro failed to fully address my points with regard to the passage. Pro failed to explain why Acts 15 mentions the Laws of Moses being preached in the synagogues. Pro asserts that Acts 15 does not mention keeping the Sabbath, and thus it is not 'required'. Using a double standard, Pro then asserts from other passages that the Gentile believers are 'required' to love other people, even though there is no mention of this requirement in Acts 15. If I could interview Pro, I'm sure Pro would agree that there are other 'requirements' not mentioned in Acts 15. Additionally, Acts 15 instructed Gentiles to not eat food sacrificed to idols, but the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 8 is dedicated to explaining why it is not a sin to eat meat sacrificed to idols. 1 Corinthians 10 further confirms this. So not only does Acts 15 not give an exhaustive list of requirements for Gentile believers, but the list of requirements given include things that are not considered sinful by the Christian Bible! Acts 15 cannot be used as a good reference for right and wrong, thus it cannot be used to support Pro's resolution.

The verse Pro quoted from Matthew 19:16-19 is clearly about salvation. Pro and I agree that keeping the Sabbath is not a requirement for salvation. Also, if one reads on to verse 22, one will find that the rich young ruler in the story kept all the commands Pro listed from his youth, yet he still lacked something that was going to prevent him from entering into eternal life. If Yeshua Jesus had intended to publicly claim that the Law of Moses need not be kept, there would have been a scene. The same is true anywhere in the Gospels, such as John. It was a contentious issue, even for the early Christians. Even Peter, who was there, was shocked that Gentiles were allowed to become Christians [Acts 10:44-46].

Closing arguments
Pro and I agree that salvation is by faith, not by keeping any laws. We certainly agree that keeping the Sabbath has nothing to do with salvation. Similarly, we both agree that stealing is sinful, and that it is possible for someone who steals to have salvation. However, this debate was about sin, not salvation. I affirm that the Christian Bible gives us no reason to believe that breaking the law about Sabbath is less sinful today than it was when the law was first given. Although Pro has given a few passages, I have been able to show from context and modern Christian scholarship that none of them give us freedom to break Sabbath. Furthermore, I have shown that there are plenty of examples given in the Christian Bible of both Jews and Gentiles observing the Sabbath. I claimed early in this debate that there are no counter examples to this, and Pro has failed to rebut that claim.
In some passages we went through, I showed that the original meaning required either insight into the early church problems (Gnostic heresy), or the practices of the early Jewish Christians (havdalah), or common terminology (first day of the week starts Saturday at sundown). Some of the verses shown seem to imply things that they don't actually. If Pro proceeds to bring forth new verses after my closing statements, I will not have the opportunity to properly address them. So I ask voters to discount them. Thank you all.

Thanks again for having this debate with me. It's been a pleasure.

Acts 15 does not imply that the Law of Moses was still to be kept. Lets read:

Acts 15:1-21

" And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question.

3 So, being sent on their way by the church, they passed through Phoenicia and Samaria, describing the conversion of the Gentiles; and they caused great joy to all the brethren. 4 And when they had come to Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders; and they reported all things that God had done with them. 5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” 6 Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. 7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

12 Then all the multitude kept silent and listened to Barnabas and Paul declaring how many miracles and wonders God had worked through them among the Gentiles. 13 And after they had become silent, James answered, saying, “Men and brethren, listen to me: 14 Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:

16 ‘After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the Lord who does all these things.’

19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

It is then followed by v. 22-29 where Paul encourages to obey the Torah but he never preached the Torah of Moses, but Yeshua Jesus.

"Pro then asserts from other passages that the Gentile believers are 'required' to love other people, even though there is no mention of this requirement in Acts 15."

Acts 15 is in the context of following the Torah, but when following Yeshua's commandments, you may only follow the principles of love (1 John 2:6).

"If Yeshua Jesus had intended to publicly claim that the Law of Moses need not be kept, there would have been a scene."

I'm not saying that he proclaimed that the Law of Moses was not meant to be kept. I'm saying that Jesus himself is the living "Torah", the embodiment of God himself and his attributes to living a holy life. Notice that no where does he directly enforce the Law of Moses, but neither does he abolish it.

Closing statements:

Under the old law, breaking the Sabbath would be a sin (Ex. 20) but Jesus came down to remove our inquities (Isaiah 53). Breaking the Sabbath is essentially impossible for those who stopped attempting to adhere to the Torah

Rom. 7:4

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, this is the point: You died to the power of the law when you died with Christ. And now you are united with the one who was raised from the dead. As a result, we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God."

We spiritually grow by the fruits of the Spirit and so we overcome sin:

Gal. 5:16-26

"16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law."

19 " Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."

While it's true that Gentiles joined with Jewish believers during the Sabbath, we have seen that the Apostles did not force Gentiles to convert to Judaism and be Torah-observant. If Gentiles are not Torah observant, they cannot break the Sabbath.If Jewish believers are in Jesus, they are led by his spirit not by the Torah. They can be Torah-observant, but no longer is it for salvation, but for their Jewish identity. Paul used his Jewish heritage to win Jews to the Gospel as we have seen above. He attended the Sabbath not to observe it, but to preach Jesus. Gentiles who were not under the Torah are grafted into God's spiritual family through faith in the Messiah. Jews are not to look down on Gentiles for not observing the Torah as it's by faith in the Messiah that we are all justified. The Sabbath is then no longer an obligation for all believers to observe in order to gain God's approval.

Thanks Jellon for an interesting and intense debate.
Posted by Emilirose 2 years ago
On the contrary to the Sabbath being changed by the Christian Bible, numerous examples and verse show that Yeshua and his disciples strongly followed the Sabbath; as did other early Jewish Christians.

The change largely surfaced when Gentiles started converting to Christianity. The Roman Empire (who controlled all Christian communities) proclaimed Sunday to be a legal day of rest; this hence added to the Christian church losing its Jewish roots.
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
"especially the ones about Jesus coming down to change the commandment of resting."
Are you able to be slightly more specific? I don't see any verses he used that say that explicitly. I did address all of his verses, and I'm wondering what you found convincing.
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
I often use 2000
Posted by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
What'd you set the ELO to?
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
Sorry I'm taking so long. Been busy.
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
Acts 2:7 is clearly a mistake. I will address the other verses in the debate with out without pro bringing them up.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
Mark 2:28. Acts 2:7. 1 Cor.16:2.There may be more, but those came up first.And those from the new king James Bible.
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
My Greek concordance doesn't let me look up English words. What specific translation of the English Bible will I find these verses in? I've so far been unable to find the verses of which you speak. In my English Bibles.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
jellon: Look them up in your concordance. Trust me , they are in there.And I agree with you. We should rest one day a week. I have always said that you will get more done in 6 days that you will in 7.

Jesus did say,Mark 2:27, that the Sabbath was made for man. Man was not made for the Sabbath. In other words it is to our advantage to keep it. Just as it is to our advantage to keep all the commandments.God is very extravagant when it comes to blessing those who walk in his covenant.Look at David.A 17 year old killing a man of 9 feet tall. A man who was a warrior since his youth.And David just attended sheep.But he had an advantage over Goliath. He was in covenant with God and Goliath was not. When David walked in that camp, Goliath was a dead man. He just did not know it yet.He was uncircumcised. No covenant with God.It was not but the next day David ran at him and killed him with that rock. He was dead before he hit the ground. Then David climbed upn him and cut that dudes head off at the shoulderline. I never tire of telling that story.But that was victory , hands down.
Posted by Jellon 2 years ago
The new covenant says we're supposed to meet on the first day of the week? I hope Pro doesn't find that verse, or I'm toast. =D Messiah said He is our Sabbath? I'd love to see a reference to that one too.
I agree, we should worship every day. People did so under the Abrahamic covenant, the Mosaic covenant, and under the new covenant. The law wasn't about what day of the week you worship on. It was about what day you rest. Most Christians go to church on Sunday, but they don't observe the commandment to rest.

I'll save my other comments for the debate.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: In this debate PRO had the major BOP to show that in fact, the commandment of resting on the Sabbath was changed by the Bible. And he managed, with all the references to the Bible, especially the ones about Jesus coming down to change the commandment of resting.