Tminusfour20
abby110301

The common concept of heaven and afterlife is nonsensical

Tminusfour20

Tminusfour20

Pro

The concept of afterlife, how you get there and what it entails is contradictory and completely irrational. I argue that heaven is not a place that can make sense by common biblical and contemporary descriptions. My opponent will ultimately be defending why heaven and afterlife is a legitimate place that all morally good people should strive to and how this makes sense given the knowledge we have today about the world around it.

Heaven: a place regarded in various religions as the abode of God (or the gods) and the angels, and of the good after death, often traditionally depicted as being above the sky. Pinnacle of happiness.

Afterlife: life after death, the next world, the hereafter, the afterworld, eternity,kingdom come;
immortality

First round acceptance only.
abby110301

Con

You get to heaven by basically dieing and believing that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins and you give your life to him. You might have done something wrong like stolen or even murdered someone, but that doesn't mean you can't go to heaven. Now think about it, You were put in this world with free will and what did we do? we chose wrong and we were going to go to hell to pay for it. We were going to go to a horrid place full of torture, sorrow, pain and fire for eternity. No going out. Ever. But, Jesus died a horrible painful death with his arms and legs nailed to a cross to save us from that torture. Just for you, me and everyone else. If you choose to go to hell anyway, thats your choice, but Jesus died for me sos I could go to heaven and Im not going to tell him he did that for nothing. I hope I made at least a small difference. Thank You.
Tminusfour20

Pro

There goes the debate parameters...

I will start off by saying I never did anything. I never chose wrong with my "free will" in the garden with Adam and Eve. To think that god is punishing an entire species for eternity for the actions of 2 people is completely irrational and immoral. It is also nonsensical to think that the only way to save us from an eternity of damnation is to sacrifice himself as his own son and that we must accept his son and his sacrifice to avoid hell.

The questions I have for you is:

1. Do good hearted people from other faiths or no faith at all burn in hell for not accepting Jesus?
2. What will you do in heaven? Is that what all who believe in heaven believe? If not, who is right?
3. Can you truly be happy knowing most of the people around you including loved ones may be in hell?
4. How would you know who is who? No physical bodies ...

Back to you!
abby110301

Con

abby110301 forfeited this round.
Tminusfour20

Pro

My opponent has forfieted. My questions have not been answered. I extend all arguments.
abby110301

Con

abby110301 forfeited this round.
abby110301

Con

abby110301 forfeited this round.
Tminusfour20

Pro

Vote Pro!
abby110301

Con

abby110301 forfeited this round.
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
I posted a google definition that I consider to be a definition that the vast majority would agree with. I'm also down to debate a more "Sunday School" friendly definition as well. (Streets of gold, white robes, singing and praising all day everyday).
Posted by 21MolonLabe 2 years ago
21MolonLabe
What exactly is the "Common Concept" of Heaven?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Tminusfour20abby110301Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture