Juan_Pablo
sorar3

The concept of "Zero" proves that nothing can actually be treated as something!

Juan_Pablo

Pro

Often, people tend to think of nothing as void of anything; a condition where absolutely nothing exist. But quantum mechanics doesn't treat empty space as genuinely empty - but a condition where something does exist, but in a completely neutral form! The concept of "zero" has merit here. The physicist Paul Dirac showed that "empty space" could be treated as consisting of a bunch of tightly-packed electrons with negative charge. He proposed that when a little electron was knocked-out of its place, a little hole of positive charge was left behind. However, as long as the negatively-charged electron was secure in its place (not knocked-loose), the negative and positive charges would cancel out, resulting in a charge of "zero" for space. His idea would later be verified with the discovery of the positively-charged positron, demonstrating that physical space could be treated as an idealized condition of "zero", flanked by virtual particles that pop into existence consisting of charges with positive and negative rational magnitudes (examples: -4, -2.8, +1, +9.5).

But zero can be applied to other problems as well. Let's say we have a fruit basket without any fruit. It contains no fruit! Now add 2 oranges to the basket (0 + 2 ) and we now have a fruit basket with 2 fruits in it! In a variety of ways, genuine nothing can be treated as zero of something.

My position is that nothing can be treated as a physical manifestation of "zero", but that it can materialize into "something" when the zero-condition becomes unbalanced.

Con will take the position that nothing cannot be treated as zero (or cannot always be treated as zero). He will provide arguments to support his position and to criticize mine.

ROUND 1 is for acceptance only.

(Serious debaters only.)
sorar3

Con

I accept. Though my knowledge of the english language and of science is only at the high school level, I have a few ideas about this particular subject which I'd like to make clear.

You said this round was acceptance only, so I accept. Thanks.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

"Zero" is a number that can have other numbers applied to it through operators to result in a non-zero number. My opponent will be arguing that nothing cannot always be treated this way.

An operator can be the following and more: + , - , x, /, ^. I'm defining a non-zero number as a positive or negative rational number (rational numbers are fractions). I urge my challenger to be creative in this debate but to consult logic and established on this subject. It's intended to be a learning experience for both us!

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines zero as:

(1) a. The arithmetical symbol 0 denoting the absence of all magnitude or quantity.

b. The number between all negative numbers and all positive numbers.

c. A value of an independent variable that makes a function (Y; which can consist of multiple operators, constants and variables) equal to zero [1].

Remember that the challenger must show that the concept of nothing cannot always be treated as the concept of zero.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
sorar3

Con

I forfeit
Juan_Pablo

Pro

It is now on record that my opponent respectfully forfeited, citing a mis-impression of what the debate entailed. I urge all viewers to withold voting!

This debate should be treated as null!
sorar3

Con

sorar3 forfeited this round.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

This debate should be treated as null!
sorar3

Con

sorar3 forfeited this round.
Posted by sorar3 3 years ago
sorar3
Who is Airmax and how could he delete it?
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Thanks Ragnar.

I actually want to keep the debate because I intend to argue it fully in the future. I suppose once I start a new debate with this topic I can have him delete it!
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
You might want to message airmax. He might be able to just delete it.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Okay. Just say "I forfeit" in the Round you're in and I'll urge voters not to vote on this debate!
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Sorar3, you can either attempt to finish the debate or you can stop debating by declaring "I forfeit" in one of the Rounds. I don't have the power to cancel the debate and put a halt to the voting that will follow.
Posted by sorar3 3 years ago
sorar3
I'm sorry I thought this was about chemistry you're going to have to cancel this debate
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
In ROUND 2 I meant "I urge my challenger to be creative in this debate but to consult logic and established knowledge on this subject."
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Technically empty space isn't nothing... It's all rather complex, but in essence before there was space, things could travel faster than the measured speed of light. Therefore even if empty space cannot currently me measured as something, it actually is something.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
"Zero" is a number that can have other numbers applied to it through operators to result in a non-zero number. You will be arguing that this always isn't the case.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
"Con will take the position that nothing cannot be treated as zero (or cannot always be treated as zero)." You will argue that nothing cannot always be treated as the mathematical quantity "zero".