Agnosticgirl
twheel85

The confederate flag is offensive and should be destroyed.

Agnosticgirl

Pro

I'm a young African American and Caucasian woman and well, the more and more I think of it, people who still value or have the confederate flag can be considered racists. Considering it is now the flag for the KKK, and what not, but some idiots still think its a symbol of freedom. I find it highly offensive and quite disgusting. What are your thoughts?
twheel85

Con

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (First Amendment of the Constitution). I am a Southerner I am not racist in anyway and I do not fly the confederate flag. I do take pride in the fact that I love my hometown and home state. I think there are better ways of showing your pride then flying an outdated flag, fly the flag of your state. That being said to say confederate flags should be destroyed would be infringing on peoples freedom of speech. When one persons rights are being infringed upon we should all worry because any one else's rights also could be stripped from us. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"~Voltaire
Agnosticgirl

Pro

I just find such an offensive flag superfluous but you make a very good point. For some people such as myself, that flag is just a reminder of slavery and the horrific times African-Americans faced. Not to mention when I was younger it freaked me out most seeing some people fly the same flag that the KKK take pride in. I don't know, the more and more I learn about it, I understand Southerners take pride in it and all, but I just don't find it okay....
twheel85

Con

twheel85 forfeited this round.
Agnosticgirl

Pro

Agnosticgirl forfeited this round.
twheel85

Con

twheel85 forfeited this round.
Posted by Agnosticgirl 3 years ago
Agnosticgirl
Like I said, it is just a reminder of war, hate, and racism. Obviously it won't be destroyed. It is just a debate I wanted to have...
Posted by AngstChrist 3 years ago
AngstChrist
it should be destroyed? Gosh I hope you don't mean by force of law. Offended or not, people have a right to fly it. See, the first amendment doesn't protect you from speech, it allows you to HAVE speech.
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
West TN which was Confederate made laws against the Klan. Middle TN which is where the KKK was founded gave birth to the KKK.
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
I agree with ararmer1919 that the war was not about slavery, but that's about it. Not for any reasons he made it.
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
You do know that the USA was the one that brought the slaves here not the Confederacy. The state in which the KKK was founded almost went UNION. The county in which the Klan was founded voted to stay in the Unions, Giles.
Posted by Agnosticgirl 3 years ago
Agnosticgirl
You know what. I do not hate anyone but I do have pity for the narrow minded and or racists. Anyone can see how the Confederate flag could be offensive to African Americans. Considering the KKK fly that flag. Sadly, I believe many people who are a member of the "Tea Party" are hidden racists. Not all of them, but a majority of them I'm sure. Not to mention their views and arguments are completely obtuse. There is nothing wrong with the American flag flying gay pride colors. Gays didn't hurt anyone. I'm just simply supporting it. The Confederate flag on the other hand is a disgrace.
Posted by ChristianPunk 3 years ago
ChristianPunk
Call me a bigot. Whatever. But at least I know truth.
Posted by ararmer1919 3 years ago
ararmer1919
Obviously you do
Posted by Agnosticgirl 3 years ago
Agnosticgirl
I have no hatred for anyone thank you. But it's a racist flag...that's just how I see it.
Posted by Agnosticgirl 3 years ago
Agnosticgirl
And it's definitely not a disgrace.