LibertarianWithAVoice
masterchief12

The current ESRB system is sufficient

LibertarianWithAVoice

Con

The rounds are as follow:
1.Explain your stance
2.Tell reason 1
3.Argue against your opponents reason
4.Tell reason 2
5.Argue against your opponents reason
masterchief12

Pro

Well, for starters I think that the ESRB system is efficiently and that less children are exposed to content that is inappropriate for their age.

(For the sake of the argument I will go pro but normally I would be in the con position)
LibertarianWithAVoice

Con

I usually try to pick the opposite of what I think. It expands my horizons. The first reason why I believe the ESRB is not sufficient is, I have played that are rated M for language and gore while other games are rated M for gore, violence, language, sexual themes, and use of alcohol. The second one is way worse but is still group in the same class. The ESRB sees gore and hears some cursing so they call them an M, but don't think of placing a game with three times as many bad things. The ESRB should move to point system, where they place points limits on each of the categories and if a game passes that it is bumped up to the next one.
masterchief12

Pro

I agree I've played a game teen for blood and violence and that's what halo is rated for but... Well, the esrb has a rating based on a 1 to 10 system halo is 6 and 5 below is E through T and 6 and up is M.
LibertarianWithAVoice

Con

LibertarianWithAVoice forfeited this round.
masterchief12

Pro

You forfeit?
LibertarianWithAVoice

Con

Sorry for the forfeit my Internet went down.
The ESRB is based on a subjective point system. They say, this game is really violent, M, this game is really violent and use inappropriate language, M, this game is violent, uses inappropriate language, and has sexual content, M. There points are not sufficient for keeping children away from inappropriate content. Most of the time a parent will read what one M game contains and assume that is what all M games contain. I believe they should review their current system and take more progressive steps into displaying the rating better instead of just a small box on in the corner of the box.
masterchief12

Pro

Yes, but most people pick up a video game for the first time they look at the back to see what it's about and other valuable information and they see the rating ( E, T, M, etc.) Also, the esrb system only allows people 17+ to purchase the M rated game so if the child plays it they have a parent's permission as opposed to the child (17-) just buying it then hiding it from their parents.
LibertarianWithAVoice

Con

I flip over a game, read the back, see its M and why. I do this a few times and see that a lot of games are the same as far as rating goes, and I am not apposed to my child playing a violent game. So I stop reading why all games are rated the way they are assuming it will be the same level of inappropriate content. And lets say its a game like God of War. It has a straight out sex scene. Now if I saw my kid playing that there is no way I would think that was the same rating as X-Men Origins: Wolverine or Call of Duty.
masterchief12

Pro

That is a very good point, ESRB is basically a bunch of people that play the game then they rate the game based on what they think and leave it to the parents to decide whether or not they want there kid to play it.