Dwight_Schrute
Darckshadow

The current generation Hip-hop industry is detrimental to America's youth.

Dwight_Schrute

Dwight_Schrute

Pro

The first round is for acceptance only. I am arguing that hip hop has a negative effect on America's youth today.

Definitions:
Current generation Hip Hop: 1990's-present Rap and Hip hop songs
Detrimental- tending to cause harm (in this case, specifically the moral and intellectual aspects).
Americas youth: Americans between ages of 8-21
Darckshadow

Con

The thought that any type of media is detrimental to any group is ultimately a way to push down a new type of media or a new interpretation of media by a group that does not see the inherent value of it. This would be the same as me saying i believe we should ban Prince or Ban movies. Sure people can say that these things have damaged a generation, but there is no way to prove this as this is an unfounded comment. Media effects each person differently, and the only way that the media will effect someone negatively is if the person already has those types of negative thoughts in their head. These Medias or types of Genres are not to blame for anything that a person does, and the fact that many people use these types of arguments to excuse their own actions. This comment is the same as saying a violent video-game caused a school shooting. I personally know someone who has played Violent games and listened to Eminem and other similar music since he was 5 and he was still top of his grade and more morally correct than many of the people i meat today. Hip-Hop is ultimately not a problem for any age demographic.
Dwight_Schrute

Pro

Ok, you have brought up some valid points, which I will address momentarily. First however, I must state my own argument briefly.
The Hip Hop industry of the past 25 years or so has been extremely negative to the state of intelligence and morality of America's youth. Although youth does not necessarily compose the majority of Hip-hop consumers, nor is America the only place where Hip-hop listeners are affected, I have decided to focus only on this group because they are fundamental to this nation's future.

The Hip Hop industry, mostly Rap, has very negatively affected the minds of our youth by perpetuating stereotypes and promoting a culture of aggression and stupidity. As a sharp contrast to the rap in the 1970's and 1980's, where rap groups such as A tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, and others who promoted good ideals such as staying in school, standing up for yourself, or pursuing love, current generation rap promotes very negative ideals. Artists such as Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Nas, and Tupac promoted Smoking weed, treating women as animals or sexual objects, and violence. A prime example of the contrast can be found in the difference between two different generation rap songs. Ed OG's 'be a father to your child' and Dr. Dre's 'The Next Episode' are like a tale of two cities. The first one has a message telling black men specifically to be a presence in their children's lives. It also preaches respect and care for a woman:
"If you did it, admit it and stick with it
Don't say it ain't yours cause all women are not whores
Ninety percent represent a woman that is faithful"
Dr. Dre's The Next Episode from the Chronic presents a drastically different outlook on how to treat women. He encourages violence against women and never, in any song, mentions women contributions for anything other than to please a man's desires. I won't include the lyrics here, but both Snoop and Dre give disparaging, violent remarks regarding women. They also glorify drugs and a drinking, partying lifestyle. Is this the message that we should be giving to adolescents and youth, the future of the country? The minds of the youth will direct the direction that America takes in all sorts of issues, and we cannot allow this type of racist, sexist, aggressive trash to become an influence.

Now, onto addressing your arguments. Your first point was that discouraging current generation hip-hop was a way to push down another group because I do not see the value in it. I'm not suggesting anything as serious as a government censorship or a ban on the genre by law, because that would be ineffective and I certainly have no problem with the genre itself. I only have problems with the groups that embody this message in their music. More recent examples are Fetty Wap, Drake, and Meek Mill. Examples of more positive Hip hop groups/artists that leave these racist and sexist ideals out of there music are: Childish Gambino, twenty-one pilots, Lauryn Hill, etc. And if some people don't see the value in something, should it be stopped? Answer: If it is really wrong, yes! Not everybody saw the value of slavery, but most people did. If the people who noticed that it was wrong had failed to act upon their beliefs, we would not be in the same situation we are today (and rap wouldn't exist!). I can clearly prove rap is negative as I just have above.

Your next point was saying that Media doesn't necessarily affect the people's thoughts unless they already had them. False; the media can put ideas into peoples heads that they had no intention of listening to. Where do you thin all of this anti-police sentiment and lack of respect for women started from. Ok, so maybe this is not all the hip-hop industries fault, and to some extent their messages are valid, but even these 'good' messages are blown to a point of extremism. Just because you think that this one person is pot affected by these terrible messages, doesn't mean that it is universally true. Most people who listen to hip hop currently have lesser test scores and go to college less. This may be a correlation instead of a cause, but it certainly warrants some concern. Studies have been done and it has been concluded that media most definitely takes part in what we think. (http://www.voicesofyouth.org...-). And messages so explicit as the ones in current gen Hip-hop are any indication of what is to be coming through the minds of our youth, we are in huge trouble.
Darckshadow

Con

Darckshadow forfeited this round.
Dwight_Schrute

Pro

My opponent hasn't given me a new argument, so I'll just wait for next round
Darckshadow

Con

Darckshadow forfeited this round.
Dwight_Schrute

Pro

I'll wait...
Darckshadow

Con

Darckshadow forfeited this round.
Dwight_Schrute

Pro

My opponent has lost this debate by forfeiting each round. Please remember to vote for me! Thanks!
Darckshadow

Con

Darckshadow forfeited this round.
Posted by Dwight_Schrute 11 months ago
Dwight_Schrute
Remember to vote for me guys!
Posted by Dwight_Schrute 1 year ago
Dwight_Schrute
Ok. I expanded the number rounds to five.
Posted by AndDontCallMeShirley 1 year ago
AndDontCallMeShirley
Definitely not enough rounds.
Posted by Elias_is_the_llama 1 year ago
Elias_is_the_llama
I'm considering joining, but I don't believe there's enough rounds to thoroughly explore the subject
Vote Placed by breaxxbaxx 11 months ago
breaxxbaxx
Dwight_SchruteDarckshadowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Unfortunately Con could not deliver on the arguments. Pro put some thought into the argument they presented and as a result made a stronger case.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 11 months ago
fire_wings
Dwight_SchruteDarckshadowTied
Reasons for voting decision: ffety ff
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 11 months ago
ThinkBig
Dwight_SchruteDarckshadowTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited