leethal
Zeldafan69

The death penalty by lethal injection is too lenient a punishment compared to life in prison.

leethal

Pro

A lot of people are against the death penalty because they feel it is too harsh a punishment. I'm personally against it because I don't feel that it is harsh enough on those truly deserving of punishment.

As long as it is done painlessly, the death penalty is over before it begins. Sure, it must be psychologically punishing to know, to the day, when you will die, but this is the only punishment the death penalised prisoner will receive. Once the injection has been made, the criminal slowly fades to an unending sleep. The prisoner will now Rest In Peace, so to speak. There will be no further pain or suffering, no further thought put to the perhaps unspeakable crimes the prisoner has committed. My opponent may argue that the deceased can no longer enjoy a nice sunset or watch their kids grow old, or enjoy life in general. The point I am making is that dead people are unable to reflect on the past and realise what they are missing out on, while someone doing life imprisonment can certainly dwell on these things. Hence they are being punished far more harshly.

Now consider someone given life imprisonment. There is every possibility and indeed likelihood that this person will be punished, mentally and physically in prison. They will be forced every day to think about the crimes that landed them in the situation they are in, and a guilty conscience can often be akin to torture. They will be forced to eat food they don't particularly enjoy, as opposed to the deceased who will never again be forced to do anything they don't want to, and will not be able to consider what he/she is missing out on. The prisoners will be forced into laborious jobs they don't enjoy, and again this obviously can't be said of the deceased.

I could go on but I feel I'm rambling. My point is that someone put painlessly into an eternal sleep has hardly been punished at all, and certainly much less than someone put into prison for life.
Zeldafan69

Con

I do see where you're coming from. But you are assuming one key aspect of your argument. No one knows what happens when you die, simply stated. If we just cease to exist, then yes, I can see how there is no prolonged agonizing punishment (as I believe there should be). However, maybe we move onto another dimension, world, or Heaven and Hell so to speak. If we are to arrive there, upon death we WOULD have the ability to reflect upon our actions (Assuming that free thinking would be available). That has to do with the theoretical and death side of this argument, now to the government, rock solid issues.

A prisoner lives on an average on $22,000 per year. It is MUCH more cheaper to just do away with them, than to keep them locked up for life. Let's say that a murderer is convicted when he's 20 years old, and will live until he's 80 in prison. That's 60 years.

60 x 22,000 = 1,320,000

That is A LOT of money for just one prisoner. That money could go for something more necessary.

That ends my argument for this round. I look forward to a strong rebuttal =)
leethal

Pro

My opponent has offered 2 arguments in his first round. I will address each argument seperately:

1. "A prisoner lives on an average on $22,000 per year. It is MUCH more cheaper to just do away with them, than to keep them locked up for life. Let's say that a murderer is convicted when he's 20 years old, and will live until he's 80 in prison. That's 60 years.
60 x 22,000 = 1,320,000
That is A LOT of money for just one prisoner. That money could go for something more necessary."

While this is a very good point, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the resolution. If I was arguing that the death penalty is finiancially more benificial to the government than is imprisoning someone for life, my opponent's argument would be correct and undeniable. Unfortunately for my opponent, this debate is about whether or not "The death penalty by lethal injection is too lenient a punishment compared to life in prison."

My opponent's other argument was that we don't know what happens to us after we die, and if there is an eternal Hell waiting for a murderer on the other side of death, then he will surely be punished. This is also far beside the point. 2 men rape and kill a child. One is sentenced to death, the other to life in prison. Even if we assume the extremely unlikely scenario that there is eternal damnation waiting for bad people (whatever that means) upon death, then both of these murderers will end up suffering for eternity in Hell. However, if there is nothing, or if there is a never-ending unicorn ride on a rainbow awaiting evil people upon death, then the death-sentenced prisoner will still go unpunished, or even rewarded. There are an infinite number of theories that will ensure punishment to a death-sentenced murderer, and an infinite number of theories that will ensure the death-sentenced prisoner will be rewarded after death. All are just theories, all equally as likely. As my opponent said, WE DON'T KNOW.

Hence, the only logical way to 100% ENSURE punishment is to place them in prison for life. The death penalty is at very best a vague guess that 'someone' (God, the Devil, the Flying Spaghetti Monster???) will punish the murderer, when we have the means to ensure punishment ourselves.
Zeldafan69

Con

Indeed, I do see where you're coming from. But I disagree, that keeping someone in jail does not ENSURE punishment. What happens to them when they're in jail? They get three square meals a day, they have a chance to socialize, most get some sort of television, athletic opportunities, a decent place to sleep, and some prisons even allow tobacco. Also, if a person is already sentenced to life...they can basically do what they want and fear no punishment. I mean, if they decide to go beat a guard to death, what can the court do? Nothing, they're already in prison for life. And they can continue to do it, again, and again.

That's all I have for this round. I look forward to seeing your rebuttal.
leethal

Pro

leethal forfeited this round.
Zeldafan69

Con

Zeldafan69 forfeited this round.
Posted by Zeldafan69 8 years ago
Zeldafan69
It's my default MySpace picture, lol...I couldn't think of a good one to put up. And I always use this screen name, there's nothing wrong with it? It was randomly generated for me, a long time ago.
Posted by Bitz 8 years ago
Bitz
That article is just too funny, logical.
Posted by leethal 8 years ago
leethal
S**t sorry bout the last round dude.
Posted by Thoreau 8 years ago
Thoreau
I've got some guesses. First, your name is Zeldafan69. Now let's dissect that. First, we've got Zeldafan, which is okay, the Zelda games were pretty good and lots of people like them. Then we've got 69. This implies that you think that you are the 69th Zelda fan ever (unlikely), that you enjoy 69 with characters of the Zelda game (VERY creepy), or that you simply think that the phrases "zeldafan" and "69" should ever, ever be combined (also pretty creepy).

Next, we'll move on to your profile picture. You are in the midst of a head sweep (typically intended to invoke romance -- on a pretty much anonymous debate site, that's pretty creepy), and you are not wearing a shirt (that's creepy too).

It adds up to officially give you the title of "creepster".
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
It is too bad prison rape wasn't brought up by PRO as CON could have humorously counter with this: http://bp2.blogger.com...
Posted by Zeldafan69 8 years ago
Zeldafan69
Why am I a creepster? lol
Posted by SexyLatina 8 years ago
SexyLatina
Zeldafan69's kinda a creepster...
Vote Placed by bexy_kelly 8 years ago
bexy_kelly
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by Sushiweed24 8 years ago
Sushiweed24
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by cj18 8 years ago
cj18
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by MaxHayslip 8 years ago
MaxHayslip
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by CHS 8 years ago
CHS
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
leethalZeldafan69Tied
Vote Placed by Spiral 8 years ago
Spiral
leethalZeldafan69Tied