Toored
megan91509

The death penalty is archaic and should be abolished.

Toored

Pro

The death penalty is archaic and immoral. We are no longer living in the dark ages and as such our society should be at a point where we don't punish death with more death. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Not only is the death penalty crude and barbaric but statistically speaking it does not even deter crime. States with no death penalty actually have lower murder rates than states with the death penalty.

Some people are bad, there is no getting around that. However, it is far better to keep a murderer locked up like an animal than to murder and become animals ourselves.
megan91509

Con

Firstly, just because capital punishment is an ancient practice, does not mean it is ineffective. How would our society have reached the point it is at today, had we not borrowed ideas and inventions from ancient societies? Having said that, I believe that the death penalty works and we should not abolish it, but we should enforce it. We punish people in society for crimes like theft and assault, by taking away time from their life. Is it not the same to take away all of the time from their life at once?

"The murder rate fell 60 percent since Texas started using the death penalty seriously in the 1990s." -ncpa.org

How can you say taking someone's life humanely is barbaric, but keeping them locked away from society is not?

You said:
"States with no death penalty actually have lower murder rates than states with the death penalty."

Have you any evidence or statistics to back that up? That sounds to me like you just threw out your own "statistic" to prove your point. I have actually tried to find statistics to support your statement, but I have come up empty handed.

You said: "However, it is far better to keep a murderer locked up like an animal than to murder and become animals ourselves."

Have you ever experienced either of these things? I doubt it; so how do you have the authority to say what is better? I would love to suggest a wonderful short story I read in my English class a while ago, it is about capital punishment and you will be surprised by the outcome. It is called, "The Bet" by Anton Chekhov.
Toored

Pro

Ha ha ha, I can already tell that I should have made this debate longer than 3 rounds.

My statistics about the death penalty came from The Death Penalty Information Center (www.deathpenaltyinfo.org).
Please do not accuse me of making up statistics as I find it to be horribly insulting to both my intelligence and my integrity.

It is true that the murder rate in states without the death penalty is lower than in states with the death penalty.

I also agree with you that many ancient practices are good. But of course when I think of good ancient practices I think of all the wonderful innovations that the Ancient Greeks and The Romans gave us. Some ancient practices should be disregarded such as burning heretics at the stake or crucifying people.

I said "However, it is far better to keep a murderer locked up like an animal than to murder and become animals ourselves."

You said "Have you ever experienced either of these things? I doubt it; so how do you have the authority to say what is better? "

I am of Jewish Heritage and many members of my family died in the Holocaust at the hands of the Nazi menace. My great aunt is a survivor and towards the end of the war in Europe her concentration camp was liberated by allied forces. A group of allied soldiers led her and some other Jews into a field along with some captured german soldiers. A soldier gave my great Aunt a hand gun and gave her the chance to shoot one of the Nazi prison guards but she could not do it. As much as she hated the Nazis she could not bring her self down to their level. I, like her, think that death should not create more death. To punish death with death is to become a murderer yourself.

Like I said before, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind! I am not saying that we should let murders run free but I am trying to say that it is hypocritical to punish murderers by murdering them. You don't see anything barbaric about that?

P.S.

Being that I mentioned something as touchy as the Holocaust (and family of mine who were victims/survivors of the Holocaust) please be tactful with your rebuttal. Thank you.
megan91509

Con

megan91509 forfeited this round.
Toored

Pro

Since you missed the last round I will make no closing statement and allow you to have the last word.
megan91509

Con

megan91509 forfeited this round.
Posted by U.S_Patriot 9 years ago
U.S_Patriot
megan91509 is simply awesome.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Don't take things so literally arrival. Ofcourse I didn't mean just one. It sure wasn't 1 in 6 though.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Uh, not just one, but you have fun thinking that.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Thats not necessary. I am sure that an innocent man might of been executed before. Doesn't mean we get rid of the whole system.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Ahahaa you're totally right, not sure how I mistook that. I don't know the actual percentage; I've read the FBI says 1/10 but there's no official statement. I do know innocent men have been executed and innocent men have been convicted only to be pardoned years later. I can give you names if you want.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Arrivaltime...this study was done on non-capital criminal cases. It didn't even look at convicts on death row. It also said nothing about whether innocent death row inmates were released or not. Try reading what you are using as "proof" for you statements next time.
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
How is megan winning if she forfeited 2 rounds?
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
Often they weren't released

http://www.breitbart.com...
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
ArrivalTime, is the 1 in 6 people that have actually been released from death row?? You don't specify if they were actually executed or released. Please provide link also.

If they were released wouldn't that just show that the system actually worked FOR them?
Posted by johncwms27 9 years ago
johncwms27
Toored: you say that "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." Think about that. It would only leave the whole world blind if each of the 6billion people on earth either plucked somebody's eye out, or had their own eyes plucked out. Right now, 'eye for an eye' (execution in return for murder) is in practice in those states that use capital punishment. But I am not 'blind' (dead) because I have neither killed or been killed. "Eye for an eye" does NOT leave the whole world blind, it only leaves blind the victim and the perp.

On a separate note, I agree that overcrowding is a huge problem in America, and it is true that it is very expensive to keep people in jail (and on death row). But I think we should not consider these things when deciding if somebody should be executed. We can consider those factors when sentencing a criminal to a punishment other than death, but I think it is immoral to take one's life due to purely monetary reasons. If we were to execute someone, it should be because we think it is just, not because it will save us money and free up jail cells.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by baker27b 9 years ago
baker27b
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by U.S_Patriot 9 years ago
U.S_Patriot
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by Novan_Leon 9 years ago
Novan_Leon
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by megan91509 9 years ago
megan91509
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by Hoyt13 9 years ago
Hoyt13
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by Modernmoron 9 years ago
Modernmoron
Tooredmegan91509Tied
Vote Placed by Toored 9 years ago
Toored
Tooredmegan91509Tied