magi800
Nyx999

The death penalty, is it A- Morally Right and B- Logically Right

magi800

Con

Well, my fine future opponent, be prepared for a beating as I am going to disprove the death penalty! A short snappy argument, a short snappy rebuttal (Optional). Rounds are as follows:

1 - Acceptance Round / First Argument From PRO (Cause I'm that kind!)
2 and 3 - Arguments

Only 500 Characters!?
Oh No!
This time, we cut the crap and get straight into the discussion.
Good Luck,
You'll Need It!
Nyx999

Pro

I'm usually on the fence about this topic, but you seem like a fun person to debate! I believe that the death penalty is morally right. I've never much liked prison for life, and I think that that is one of the most horrible punishments. If you have a release date, however far away it is, at least you have something to hope for, at least you have a light at the end of the tunnel.For people with life in prison, there's only the monotony of day after day in a place with no life. It's pure hell.
magi800

Con

So your argument is that the death penalty is morally right because it gives people something to look forward to? That's rubbish! The death penalty is literally the definition of morally wrong, the morally right thing to do would be to aim for rehabilitation and not deterrence, hell, it works in Norway, there's barely any crime there, and there's no death penalty, in fact, prisons in Norway are more like holiday resorts. I will explain my, "logically wrong" part next argument.
Good luck.
Nyx999

Pro

I am actually a big supporter of rehabilitation, but some people won't change and are too dangerous to be let out into modern society. The murderers, the rapists, the most evil of people can't be allowed back into normal society. I think that killing them is more humane than imprisoning them for life.It's logically right because I think that it is ridiculous that taxpayer dollars are being taken away from scientific institutes that we need, to feed, clothe, and shelter these prisoners.
magi800

Con

If people aren't going to change, then they should be given life, or until someone deems them rehabilitation. And your "Logic" argument is stupid! I think you'll find that US taxpayers pay less than 1 cent per year per prisoner, so your argument is invalid, and may I also remind you of the fact that there is no more crime in countries with the death penalty per pop. per area per year than there is in countries without. And criminals tend to assume that they're not going to get caught!
Nyx999

Pro

Considering that there are so many people in the U.S., that one cent adds up to make millions of dollars. Millions of dollars could certainly help scientific research now couldn't it? And what's your source for the crime in countries without death penaltyvs.with death penalty? Americans make up 25% of the world's prisoners http://www.cbn.com... and I believe that the in for life prisoners should be given the death penalty.
Posted by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
Oh I read something Nimbus said in his vote, how "If the death penalty is a kindness, that goes against the idea of punishment." and I realize he's right XD. But, I would like to say, well, torturing people is also a punishment right? But we are humane and we give our prisoners proper food, water, and medical care. I just think that the death penalty is the humane choice compared to life in prison.
Vote Placed by twilke 3 years ago
twilke
magi800Nyx999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate.
Vote Placed by Nimbus328 3 years ago
Nimbus328
magi800Nyx999Tied
Reasons for voting decision: If the death penalty is a kindness, that goes against the idea of punishment.