SamBuck
sarahvh

The death penalty is justified

SamBuck

Pro

I believe that the death penalty the USA uses is a bad one, but I am more in favor of other, quicker deaths for those who receive the penalty. I believe that is the right thing to do for both cost and morality
sarahvh

Con

In and of itself, life in prison without the possibility of parole is a death sentence and, believe it or not, costs less than death penalty cases.

For instance, in California (as of 2011), the cost of a case where the death penalty isn't sought averages out to around $740,000 while the cost of cases where the death penalty IS sought averages out to around $1,260,000. Such a price tag comes from the cost of counsel, prosecution, jury selection, security, and exhausting all automatic appeals of the verdict.

The death penalty serves no real purpose. It doesn't change the circumstances under which the case came about (murder, rape, etc). Life in prison serves the same purpose, although through different means to an end. Not only that, numerous reports prove that not a single person serving life has ever been paroled. The death penalty feeds on two things: retribution and vengeance and frankly, neither justify state- or federally-sanctioned murder.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
sarahvh

Con

sarahvh forfeited this round.
SamBuck

Pro

As I said before, I am not arguing for the death penalty used in the USA. I am arguing for better, quicker, and more cheap methods. However, I even believe that the death penalty in the USA is more cost efficient! Firstly, I would like to state my opinion in general about the death penalty. I believe that people who have done things to deserve the death penalty, such as murderers, rapists, ect, have no value practically or morally. I believe these people should be disposed of in the quickest and most cost efficient way. I'd just say put a bullet in their head and shove them in the morgue, but I don't think we can ever have it that way because of those who feel sorry for these people. Even so, I still support the death penalty in the USA as better than nothing. I think that the fear of death detours enough people to actually make it worth the extra cost for those who do commit these crimes. Would you rather keep 5 people in prison, or have 3 people sent to their deaths?
sarahvh

Con

sarahvh forfeited this round.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
sarahvh

Con

sarahvh forfeited this round.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
sarahvh

Con

sarahvh forfeited this round.