DrChicken24
Sound_Reason

The death penalty should be abolished.

DrChicken24 has forfeited round #3.

DrChicken24

Pro

DO NOT DEBATE IN THIS ROUND! THIS IS JUST SO I SEE WHO IS DEBATING WITH ME!!
Sound_Reason

Con

Id like to thank my opponent for offering this... provocative topic. I'll be taking to the pro stance on this issue.
DrChicken24

Pro

The risk of executing innocent people exists in any justice system
There have been and always will be cases of executions of innocent people. No matter how developed a justice system is, it will always remain susceptible to human failure. Unlike prison sentences, the death penalty is irreversible and irreparable.

The arbitrary application of the death penalty can never be ruled out
The death penalty is often used in a disproportional manner against the poor, minorities and members of racial, ethnic, political and religious groups.

The death penalty is incompatible with human rights and human dignity
The death penalty violates the right to life which happens to be the most basic of all human rights. It also violates the right not to be subjected to torture and other cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment. Furthermore, the death penalty undermines human dignity which is inherent to every human being.

The death penalty does not deter crime effectively
The death penalty lacks the deterrent effect which is commonly referred to by its advocates. As recently stated by the General Assembly of the United Nations, “there is no conclusive evidence of the deterrent value of the death penalty” (UNGA Resolution 65/206). It is noteworthy that in many retentionist states, the effectiveness of the death penalty in order to prevent crime is being seriously questioned by a continuously increasing number of lawenforcement professionals.

Public opinion is not a major stumbling block for abolition
Public support for the death penalty does not necessarily mean that taking away the life of a human being by the state is right. There are undisputed historical precedences where gross human rights violations had had the support of a majority of the people, but which were condemned vigorously later on. It is the job of leading figures and politicians to underline the incompatibility of capital punishment with human rights and human dignity.

It needs to be pointed out that public support for the death penalty is inextricably linked to the desire of the people to be free from crime. However, there exist more effective ways to prevent crime.

-icomdp.org

As you can see by those articles, the death penalty can be very bad, I look forward to your arguments, and sorry I answered late XD I have been buisy. And no, I will not be quoting the rest of the debate XD

Sound_Reason

Con

Id like to apologize for not swiftly addressing this debate, I was slightly preoccupied. I can also say I am slightly annoyed by the whole cut and paste scenario, I had an opponent do the exact same thing In my other debate.

In your argument you stated, "The death penalty does not deter crime effectively".

I almost laughed when you said this, one, because I believe it can, and two... well, I'll elaborate.

This year alone we have had 16 death penalty executions out of 2943 people sentenced to death. The problem with the death penalty not being effective is the fact that it has been effectively neutralized already. When only 0.5% of all convicted death row inmates are executed, and these sentences are often delayed by years, It's understandable why its not a deterrent. So the death penalty, as it stands now, is not a deterrent to crime, as it has been warped beyond recognition. I believe it would be if the sentences were not delayed by congressmen and other politicians, as in the case of Hickenlooper and Nathan Dunlap, who killed four people in Aurora Colorado. His sentence was delayed.

I also find it funny how the current Justice system wants to deter crime, but makes prisons often more comfortable than the lives many of these felons are coming from. Libraries and some other amenities are paid for by Federal and State tax dollars. That was a bit of a side note, but I also fail here to see how this is supposed to deter crime. Sentences are supposed to be corrective as a punishment, not a living full of creature comforts.

Also, crime rates are rising in US cities. In 2015 alone murder rates skyrocketed in major cities, such as Chicago and other population centers. In 2016, other crime rates were supposed to decline by 2.5%, and murder rates to rise by 11.3%.

So in a brief conclusion, I fail to see how the death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent when its effects are negated by left politicians and judges.

So in turn, I believe the death penalty would be crime deterrent and should be upheld, specifically because it is not in full effect. As soon as the death penalty is used as it was passed into US law to be, then I believe it will be a deterrent.

In my next argument I will include more data and numbers to support this, as well as address more of your points.
Posted by FurryDragon 2 months ago
FurryDragon
Pro just copied an entire argument.
Vote con please.
Posted by TheBenC 2 months ago
TheBenC
I am all for killing off the worst of the worst but the fact is our justice system fails at times. To protect the innocent, no death penalty.
Posted by Sound_Reason 2 months ago
Sound_Reason
Damn. My bad. Ill take con. Wonder what made me do that?
Posted by DonutQueen 2 months ago
DonutQueen
So are the both of you pro?