caitlynreily
GiantSpoonMan

The death penalty should be legal in Texas.

caitlynreily

Pro

The death penalty is a form of punishment in which the person who commited a certain heinous crime is put to death. Currently, Texas is for the death penalty. Huntsville, Texas is the only prison, at this time, that actually puts the inmates to death. The death penalty needs to remain legal in Texas.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

I accept your challenge.
caitlynreily

Pro

caitlynreily forfeited this round.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

I'll just state a quick argument. The death penalty should not be legal anywhere. There is no reason for it it doesn't solve anything. Our jails should focus on trying to get people back into the real world, we should stress things such as therapy, community service, and getting these people back on their feet instead of killing someone for a huge mistake. I understand that some people are sick and twisted but we should not end their life for something they were born with. Prisons should be focused more on helping people rather than hurting people.
caitlynreily

Pro

I completely disagree with everything you have to say. First of all, the death penalty solves a lot. It allows closure for the families of the victims that were murdered. Getting people back on their feet might be a good suggestion if they weren't convicted of murdering, raping, etc. I personally wouldn't want a rapist or murderer living right next to me or being my co worker.
Another point, there are many county jails that enforce their inmates to participate in community service. However, when you are in a state penitentiary and you want to be allowed to work within the prison or be able to go outside and socialize with other prisoners, you have to either behave well for a long period of time within the prison or your crime isn't very heinous.
When people are born, they have laws they must abide to. Last time I checked, committing crimes typically resulted in some sort of punishment. When your crime is bad enough, you must pay for it. Death row is NOT murder. If you want to live, it's simple- abide by the rules and laws. When people are born, they should not have to worry if a person is going to come and take their life from them. Like you said, "...we should not end their life for something they were born with." If you're born with your life and it's taken by some human, why shouldn't they be punished for it? Kill and be killed.

I can't wait for what illiterate remarks you have to say next.
GiantSpoonMan

Con

Anyone who votes on this debate please take notice on my opponents conduct. "I can't wait for what illiterate remarks you have to say next." ~ caitlynreily.

It allows closure for the families of the victims that were murdered.

I would assume that you meant to say provides, not allows. Is killing someone really the best way to gain closure? When someone you know and love is killed, wouldn't you rather know why the person did this rather than just killing them? If the family truly wants closure they should look to healthier alternatives. The best therapy for the family of a murdered love one is to sit down with the killer and ask questions that have been weighing down on them. Maybe it wasn't as black and white as they thought.
Holding a grudge against someone is your own fault. True forgiveness is the only way to relieve the pain and hatred you feel against another person. You can be as angry and crushed as you want, but killing someone who has emotionally harmed you won't relieve your pain. No matter how long it takes, forgiveness is the only way you will ever truly move on.
http://tinybuddha.com...

Getting people back on their feet might be a good suggestion if they weren't convicted of murdering, raping, etc. I personally wouldn't want a rapist or murderer living right next to me or being my co worker.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(United_States_law)

At the end of your argument you state, "Kill and be killed." So according to you, any degree of murder should be punished by death. If you kill someone in a car accident do you really deserve to die? What about if you get into a fight and kill someone on accident, is this also punishable by death? Now don't get me wrong, if you kill someone you do deserve a punishment, just not as severe as death.

http://www.guardian.co.uk...
We also have to look at the fact that every now and then an innocent person is sent to death. This is absolutely unforgivable and should revoke the death penalty right away. A mistake that big shows how flawed the death sentence is. Even if only one person is innocent for every million killed on death row it's still to large a flaw. This plan that was supposed to protect the innocent backfired completely.

When you give humans the right to judge others and end their life on these judgements, you are saying those people are greater than ordinary people. It's barbaric that we have people send others to their death. We do not live in a world where some people are greater than others, we are all the same species. Giving some of those people the right to sentence others to death based on assumptions and decent evidence is absurd.