studentathletechristian8
NobleFool

The death penalty should not remain legal in the United States.

studentathletechristian8

studentathletechristian8

Pro

I affirm the resolution, "The death penalty should not remain legal in the United States."

I would like to use this round as an introduction and to define key terms:

death penalty- a sentence of punishment by execution; capital punishment. [1]

murder- the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. [2]

legal- permitted by law. [3]

*"Death penalty" may be replaced with "capital punishment" throughout the argumentation because they have the same meaning.*

This round has solely been utilized to clarify what the debate is covering and to decipher critical definitions associated with the resolution. In this first round, my opponent has the opportunity to bring up any concerns or stipulations about any of my wording and use of definitions. If my opponent is satisfied with the way I have presented the opening, I would prefer if he/she refrains from posting argumentation in round one (As Instigator, I feel the need to post beginning contentions) and simply type the response, "I accept SAC's definitions and am prepared to debate."

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com...

I look forward to an intricate and interesting debate. Thank you.
NobleFool

Con

First off, I would like to thank my opponent for offering this debate. This is my first debate and I am eager to get started weather I win or loose. Like studentathletechristian8 said in the opening statement, my opponent would like it if I would just accept it and not start debating.

I accept SAC's definitions and am prepared to debate.

studentathletechristian8

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate, and welcome him to his first debate.

Opening Statement:

The death penalty violates our constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantee of due process of law and the equal protection of laws. The enactment of the death penalty serves to be inconsistent with fundamental values of our democratic system. Capital punishment does not deter crime, and it is uncivilized in theory and unfair in practice.

Contentions:

I. Discrimination and Racism:
a)In 96% of the states where there have been reviews of race
and the death penalty, there was a pattern of either race-of victim
or race-of-defendant discrimination, or both. (Prof. David Baldus report to the ABA, 1998).
b) 98% of the chief district attorneys in death penalty states are
white; only 1% are black. (Prof. Jeffrey Pokorak, Cornell Law Review, 1998).
c) A comprehensive study of the death penalty in North Carolina found that the odds of receiving a death sentence rose by 3.5 times among those defendants whose victims were white. (Prof. Jack Boger and Dr. Isaac Unah, University of North Carolina, 2001).
d) A study in California found that those who killed whites were over 3 times more likely to be sentenced to death than those who killed blacks and over 4 times more likely than those who killed Latinos. (Pierce & Radelet, Santa Clara Law Review 2005).

II. Deterrence:
a) According to a survey of the former and present presidents of the country's top academic criminological societies, 88% of these experts rejected the notion that the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. (Radelet & Lacock, 2009)
b) Consistent with previous years, the 2006 FBI Uniform Crime Report showed that the South had the highest murder rate. The South accounts for over 80% of executions. The Northeast, which has less than 1% of all executions, again had the lowest murder rate.

III. Financial Factors:
a) The California death penalty system costs taxpayers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life. Taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each of the state's executions. (L.A. Times, March 6, 2005)
b) In Kansas, the costs of capital cases are 70% more expensive than comparable non-capital cases, including the costs of incarceration. (Kansas Performance Audit Report, December 2003).
c) In Indiana, the total costs of the death penalty exceed the complete costs of life without parole sentences by about 38%, assuming that 20% of death sentences are overturned and reduced to life. (Indiana Criminal Law Study Commission, January 10, 2002).
d) The most comprehensive study in the country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of sentencing murderers to life imprisonment. The majority of those costs occur at the trial level. (Duke University, May 1993).
e) Enforcing the death penalty costs Florida $51 million a year above what it would cost to punish all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole. Based on the 44 executions Florida had carried out since 1976, that amounts to a cost of $24 million for each execution. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000).
f) In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. (Dallas Morning News, March 8, 1992).

IV. Public Opinion:
a) The May 2006 Gallup Poll found that overall support of the death penalty was 65% (down from 80% in 1994). The same poll revealed that when respondents are given the choice of life without parole as an alternate sentencing option, more choose life without parole (48%) than the death penalty (47%).
b) A 1995 Hart Research Poll of police chiefs in the US found that the majority of the chiefs do not believe that the death penalty is an effective law enforcement tool.

These contentions are supported from this source: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

If difficulty is experienced in retreiving the file, the main center for death penalty information is:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

Additional Contentions:
I. Cruel and Unusual: The death penalty goes against the eighth amendment. It is cruel and unusual due to the uses of various forms of execution. Even lethal injection can bring hours of pain when it does not function properly.

II. The right to life and killing: Everyone has the right to life. It is immoral and unethical to take the life of someone. The death penalty kills the convicted and levels the government with the perpetrator. It teaches the old "eye for an eye" theory. However, an eye for an eye makes the world go blind. The death penalty encourages more uses of killing the convicted and does not set a healthy example for society.

III. Innocence: There are still cases where the convicted was actually proven innocent, but after the execution was finished. There is margin for error and the death penalty does not give back a life that may be innocent.

IV. Actual Punishment: The death penalty does not give the convicted the best form of punishment. Capital punishment ends the life of the convicted and he/she finds himself/herself getting out of trouble in a relatively painless way. Life in prison is a real punishment for the convicted: it gives him/her an especially long time to think about his/her shame and the way he/she ruined his/her life.

This shall be all for now. I await my opponent's response, and thank him and the audience for participating.

1) http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
2) http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...
3) http://users.rcn.com...
NobleFool

Con

NobleFool forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the previous round and has failed to make an argument thus far.

All arguments and contentions extended. Thank you.
NobleFool

Con

NobleFool forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited two rounds and has failed to make an argument thus far.

Currently, my opponent's profile states that he was on this website fifteen hours ago, which means he had notice of his argument. However, he has forfeited the round.

All arguments and contentions extended. I heavily urge a Pro vote. Thank you.
NobleFool

Con

NobleFool forfeited this round.
Posted by raindrpdew 7 years ago
raindrpdew
haha he forfeited!
Posted by raindrpdew 7 years ago
raindrpdew
i did a debate like this.. im for pro..
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
True, but I changed the resolution simply "for the heck of it."
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
I don't really think that it matters. You're just being picky and looking at technicalities. It's the same point either way.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
Yes. Whenever the legality of something is debated, whoever wants to make that something illegal has to be Con.
studentathletechristian8
Change the resolution such as:

[Pro] The death penalty should not remain legal in the United States.
Posted by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
SAC, you should change the resolution so you are Pro, as you are the one advocating for a change of the status quo.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
studentathletechristian8NobleFoolTied
Vote Placed by B-ball_Grl78 7 years ago
B-ball_Grl78
studentathletechristian8NobleFoolTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
studentathletechristian8NobleFoolTied