Sokrateez
MartinPhoenix

The death penalty

Sokrateez

Con

The most basic principle of civilization is that it is forbidden to kill each other except in self defence. I find the idea that revenge can contribute positively to a justice system abhorrent and a rail against enlightenment values. I look forward to your response.
MartinPhoenix

Pro

Thanks for the invite.
My initial response to the topic, and your argument con, will focus on your first statement.

"The most basic principle of civilization is that it is forbidden to kill each other except in self defence. I find the idea that revenge can contribute positively to a justice system abhorrent and a rail against enlightenment values. I look forward to your response."

I feel that a matter such as the death penalty, a pro or con point of view, I feel can not quite summarise my thoughts and opinions on the said matter, for instance if tomorrow Ireland had a referendum on whither or not to bring back the death penalty, I would have some serious thought to put into my vote, as I would only vote yes if the death penalty was the sentence given only in certain cases for certain crimes, and there must be no doubt of the guilt of the defendant.

In response to your statement " I find the idea that revenge can contribute positively to a justice system abhorrent and a rail against enlightenment" Is this your opinion on all matters of justice, or just the death penalty? I ask this because I think it relevant to the debate, as I think for what you call revenge is what some people call justice. there for your statement of " I find the idea that revenge can contribute positively to a justice system abhorrent and a rail against enlightenment" can be interpreted as I find the idea that justice can contribute positively to a justice system abhorrent and a rail against enlightenment.

I look forward to both your response and a more specific argument.

Sokrateez

Con

I'm relieved to hear that you don't support capital punishment as a blanket response to all crime. Could you specify what crime(s) justify this?
Concerning the need to be absolutely sure of the defendants guilt, we're in agreement. The problem as I see it is that we can never have absolute certainty and this makes irreversible punishments unwise.

For example, In Texas, Cameron Todd Willingham was convicted of murdering his three young daughters in 1991 by setting his house on fire. In 2009, a report conducted by Dr. Craig Beyler, hired by the Texas Forensic Science Commission to review the case, found that "a finding of arson could not be sustained". Beyler said that key testimony from a fire marshal at Willingham's trial was "hardly consistent with a scientific mind-set and is more characteristic of mystics or psychics." He was executed by lethal injection on February 17, 2004

As to the distinction between revenge and justice, I think it comes down to what rights are intrinsic and what rights are conditional on behaviour. A purely retributive justice system would hold that any human right violated by an individual is automatically forfeited by that individual.

I would argue that human beings have an inviolable right to life regardless of their crimes, a position enshrined in article 2 of the charter of fundamental rights of the European union. If we empower the state to end the life of citizens, then we essentially negate this intrinsic right to life.
MartinPhoenix

Pro

MartinPhoenix forfeited this round.
Sokrateez

Con

Sokrateez forfeited this round.
MartinPhoenix

Pro

MartinPhoenix forfeited this round.
Posted by BillBonJovi 5 years ago
BillBonJovi
the only alternative to the death penalty (in relation to the criminal is is enforced on) is life in prison. And life in prison is not life at all. One could argue that the death penalty is more reasonable.