edward315802
jar2187

The death photo of Osama Bin Laden should be officially released.

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

edward315802

Con

It brings not much advantages but much more disadvantages.
Making the Muslims world to be angry is not a good idea to America
And that's how I started the debate
jar2187

Pro

I thank my opponent for creating this timely and important debate. If I have this correct, my opponent's resolution is that the death photo(s) of Osama bin Laden should not be officially released and will be arguing thusly. I will be arguing the contrary: that Osama bin Laden death photo(s) should be officially released. First, let me rebut my opponent's arguments...

My opponent first claims that officially releasing the death photos of Osama bin Laden will bring "not much advantages but much more disadvantages." My opponent has not described what disadvantages these are, whether or not the disadvantages will actually outweigh the advantages (in amount or extent), if these disadvantages are actually disadvantages, who these disadvantages will be towards, or why this will be a problem.

This consequentialist view undermines the fact that not releasing the death photo(s) of bin Laden may be even more devastating. My opponent's second claim "Making the Muslims world to be angry is not a good idea to America" assumes several unproven assertions:

1) That the entire Muslim world will be angry. Most Muslims did not and still do not agree with the terrorism of Osama bin Laden. Most Muslims are happy that vengeance has been served. Many Muslims distance themselves from bin Laden’s actions, citing that these actions are not in the spirit of “true” Islam. If anything, most Muslims were and still are angry at bin Laden for disgracing Islam and throwing fuel on the flames of anti-Islamism. Such indeed, my opponent himself seems guilty of anti-Islamic stereotyping, as he too believes that Muslims find solidarity in angry towards the death of bin Laden. But why should they, if they are not with bin Laden? My opponent has not shown that the Muslim world will be angry.

2) That the Muslim world advocates bin Laden’s terrorism. To suggest that most Muslim would be angry at bin Laden’s death seems to suggest that they advocate his terrorism. Indeed, most Muslims are peaceful by the virtue that they themselves have not carried out any terrorist act. Since they are not terrorist themselves, and many have no real connection to bin Laden, there is not reason why they should be angry. My opponent has not shown that Muslims advocate bin Laden’s terrorism.

3) That only Muslim will be angry. Indeed, it’s a stereotype, a hasty generalization, to say that only Muslims will be angry, just because bin Laden claimed to be a Muslim. I think that most Muslims are intelligent enough to see the distinction between their brands of Islam and bin Laden’s. It may be better to say that terrorists will be angry. And Muslim world is not a shell for terrorism, nor are all terrorists Muslims. My opponent has not shown that only Muslims will be angry.

4) That all Muslims are in solidarity. Even as many Christian sects exist, and not everyone in the Christian world will speak out about every issue that touches on Christianity in some form, not every Muslim is in solidarity about every issue that encompasses Islam. And why should they be in solidarity over the death of bin Laden? Will they think that bin Laden’s death will have some racist tinge to it? Some may. Will they think that bin Laden’s death is a religious war? Some may. But will they see that this was an act of vengeance to right the wrong of bin Laden. Most, if not all, will. My opponent has not shown that Muslim world is in solidarity.

5) That [releasing the photo(s) of Osama bin Laden’s death] will not be a good idea to America. My opponent has not shown that it will not be a good idea to America. Indeed, it may be a great idea, for the following reasons:

1. It will bring resolution to the families of 9/11 victims [1]. Many families of the victims of 9/11 have been waiting for the day, to see vengeance distributed. To know that bin Laden is dead is one thing. To see bin Laden’s dead face on the cover of every newspaper will provide a psychological solidarity with all families who deem to see bin Laden’s dead. The pictures may be disturbing, but so was the death of the victims on 9/11. And I think that we’re all mature to see evil get its just due.

2. It will demoralize terrorists around the world. To show that bin Laden, the prime terrorist mastermind of the world, has been killed by America, not only does it show to al Qaida the resolve of America over al Qaida, but it shows al Qaida that America is coming towards them and that they will not win.
This is why we should release the death photo(s) of bin Laden. I thank my opponent. Thank you.

[1] Release Osama bin Laden’s death photo?: http://abcnews.go.com...
edward315802

Con

edward315802 forfeited this round.
jar2187

Pro

Please extend my arguments. Thank you.
edward315802

Con

edward315802 forfeited this round.
jar2187

Pro

Please extend my arguments. I thank my opponent for this debate. Thank you.
Posted by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
PRO's argument appears more convincing...
Posted by jar2187 6 years ago
jar2187
Vote
Posted by i8JoMomma 6 years ago
i8JoMomma
why won't these tea bags release the photos? it is mighty white of them to tell us what we can and cant' see but we can decide it ourselves ...someone needs to take the photos and put them on youtube for the whole world to see and if people got a problem with it...too bad stop crying and deal with it
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
edward315802jar2187Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
edward315802jar2187Tied
Reasons for voting decision: countering votebomb
Vote Placed by OMGJustinBieber 6 years ago
OMGJustinBieber
edward315802jar2187Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is tl;dr.