silntwaves
atheistman

The difference between metal and pop.

silntwaves

Pro

Deciding between which is better. easy. go into detail please. :]
atheistman

Con

For this debate I will be arguing that metal is better than pop. Metal is a lot harder to play and write on guitar, bass, drums, and to sing. It is an even bigger challenge to play metal live. In my opinion, it's also a lot more fun to listen to and see at concerts than pop. Metal also often has more creative and complex lyrics, and instrument parts than pop. Pop sometimes even consists of just loops strung together, drum machines, and heavily altered vocals with unoriginal lyrics, while metal almost never does.
silntwaves

Pro

This:"Metal is a lot harder to play and write on guitar, bass, drums, and to sing." Is just an opinion. You have to look at other bands other than just stating as a fact. Now I know that we have a lot of people in opposition to the <3Jonas Brothers<3 so I'm not going to even bring up the fact that Kevin is a beast on guitar and Nick can out drum anyone. but I am going to go ahead and list another band that I know can "rock out" harder than any metal band I know. Maroon5 and also Black eyed peas has had some pretty interesting music/drum solos and guitar solos. (Boom Boom pow and She will be loved are classics.) And so you mentioned that Metal is harder to play/ write on a few *selected instruments..*

http://www.wayango.com...

the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos and emphatic beats

According to this article here, all metal is is an extended guitar solo and emphatic beats....I think my little sister banging on pots and pans would be similar to the sound that comes out of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple's mouths. Its very do-able. all I need is one of those plastic Rockband guitars..

Ahh. Pop. Definition:intended for or accepted by a wide audience, features a noticeable rhythmic element, melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and a conventional structure.
http://www.google.com...

Since the mid-1950's pop music has usually been identified as the music and the musical styles that are accessible to the widest audience (the widest audience.)

http://top40.about.com...

Okay. and about this>>>>"Pop sometimes even consists of just loops strung together, drum machines, and heavily altered vocals with unoriginal lyrics, while metal almost never does"

Sorry but I had to do it...just watch this. Not for ur disliking.....but. if u just forget that its Jonas and listen to the music.
Jonas Brothers concert on good morning america...it is proof. it is proof.
atheistman

Con

'This:"Metal is a lot harder to play and write on guitar, bass, drums, and to sing." Is just an opinion.'

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. I've played metal songs on guitar for years, and when I compare them to pop song guitar parts, metal is by far harder to play. Metal drums often includes blastbeats, which are insanely fast double-bass pedal hits, along with rapid usage of the other drums and cymbals. It takes a huge amount of endurance to play metal on drums for a concert, compared to the often simple, basic beats used it pop. (That is if it uses real drums, as a lot of pop songs use drum machines.) For bass guitar, it is often played as fast as the guitar parts, which is even harder for bass than guitar. Pop usually uses simple basslines, as the guitar is often simple progressions composed of few chords. For vocals, much training is needed to learn how to scream, and there's the risk of popping blood vessels from screaming too hard. It also takes a lot of endurance to scream for an entire concert.

'I'm not going to even bring up the fact that Kevin is a beast on guitar and Nick can out drum anyone.'

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I had the misfortune of hearing some Jonas Brothers songs, and I was completely unimpressed by every instrument. The video above starts out with a drummer outdrumming Nick Jonas with ease, and then around 2:10, you'll see why Kevin is the farthest thing from a 'beast' on guitar.

'According to this article here, all metal is is an extended guitar solo and emphatic beats....I think my little sister banging on pots and pans would be similar to the sound that comes out of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple's mouths. Its very do-able. all I need is one of those plastic Rockband guitars..'

That is completely untrue, all metal is not an extended guitar solo and emphatic beats, just like all pop isn't a drum machine and loops. You only mentioned a few bands that barely cover any of the metal genre, and that is completely untrue, as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, do not sound anything like pots and pans, and it is impossible to sound like them with plastic toy guitars alone. (without a TV playing their music)

'Since the mid-1950's pop music has usually been identified as the music and the musical styles that are accessible to the widest audience (the widest audience.)'

More people listening to it does not make it musically better.

'if u just forget that its Jonas and listen to the music.
Jonas Brothers concert on good morning america...it is proof. it is proof.'

Proof of what? That my statement is true? I said "Pop SOMETIMES even consists of ust loops strung together, drum machines, and heavily altered vocals with unoriginal lyrics." I didn't say all of it. But some of that statement does apply to the Jonas Brothers, such as unoriginal lyrics, and heavily altered vocals in the studio.
silntwaves

Pro

silntwaves forfeited this round.
atheistman

Con

Looks like I win. VOTE PRO.
Posted by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
It's a joke that Pro is actually winning this debate.
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
oh and i love coldplay :]]
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
awsome music. You should try it some time :]

oh wait..
Posted by theitalianstallion 7 years ago
theitalianstallion
How is the name a crime? And you missed spelled it.

Poor quality? What songs have you listened to? Come back when you have listened to the following and the build and composition of each.
-No Quarter
-Stairway To Heaven
-The Rain Song
-In The Light
-Ten Years Gone
-Since I've Been Lovin' You
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
2. Pots and Pans cannot emulate the sound of a guitar, bass, vocal, or the 5 piece Ludwig set Bonham uses.
But it is a great example of the mix of poor quality in the use of the instruments.
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
Led Zepplin? His name itself is a crime. Led. Zepplin.
theitalianstallion
**they do NOT commercialize
theitalianstallion
How dare you insult Led Zeppelin?!?! They were four of the most talented musicians EVER assembled in popular music. Do you even realize how influential they are???

"I think my little sister banging on pots and pans would be similar to the sound that comes out of Led Zeppelin.....all I need is one of those plastic Rockband guitars.."

There are multiple flaws with this statement.

1. Never has Led Zeppelin used pots and pans in any of there songs; the closest thing would be spoons.
3. You cannot, and will not for the foreseeable future, be able to play Led Zeppelin on any of the music videos games; they do no commercialize their music.

My rant for the day.
Posted by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
Okay. nice opinion.
Posted by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
Well I can play the vast majority of pop songs no sweat, and the small minority of metal songs no sweat. If I can do that, that means metal is harder to play than pop.
Vote Placed by Kikematsu 6 years ago
Kikematsu
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by ReDo 6 years ago
ReDo
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by hprulz 6 years ago
hprulz
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 7 years ago
GeoLaureate8
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by silntwaves 7 years ago
silntwaves
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by mrkkid17 7 years ago
mrkkid17
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
silntwavesatheistmanTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
silntwavesatheistmanTied