The draft should be implemented in times of war.

Con Tied Pro

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.-Declaration of Independence

This is from the document that our nation and government are established on. If we can't follow these basic guidelines, to protect life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, then we know that we are not America anymore.

Now let's look at the draft policy, which may I remind you is instated by the government and therefore should be required to follow these basic guidelines.

The draft, forces young men to join the army. The most obvious flaw this has is the fact that it is a forceful act.

liberty-freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions-from

The draft, controls young men, interferes with their lives, obligates them to join the army, and puts them in hampering conditions because they must readjust to life when they return, if they return.

life-the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual-from

When people are drafted, they do not get to pick where they go, and are therefore put on the front lines of battle where they will most surely be shot down and killed. When the government is putting young men into almost certain death situations, that is obviously taking away our right to life.

pursuit-an effort to secure or attain-from

happiness-the quality or state of being happy-from

So pursuit of happiness is an effort to secure a state of being happy. So if these people are forcefully put into the army, that will not be their pursuit of happiness. If these people want to join the army they will never have been drafted in the first place. This is obviously restricting them from being happy. Being in intense heats, constantly in the outdoors, being shot at, scared of torture, dehydrated, and in constant fear for your life, is likely not many peoples idea of happiness.

As we can plainly see, the draft is an obvious violation of the rules that our country is governed by. If we can't even follow these rules anymore then we should not even call ourselves America.

Thank you, strongly urge a con vote in this debate. I now open the floor to my opponent.

I thank con for opening the debate. I believe the draft should be implemented if necessary for multiple reasons. First there are some cases where America needs a draft otherwise the opposing country could break the military down due to small numbers of people willingly signing to join which could result in an invasion. It depends on opinion more if a persons individual happiness is more important than country survival war and everything in times of war are not fair

Firstly I'd like to thank Rebi for joining in on this debate. Now onto arguments...

Fist of all I would like to point out that Rebi did not say 1 word about all of the arguments that I made in the first round. The only close thing he said was that it is in a person's opinion if we should honor a person's happiness or put the country first. Of course everyone should try to help the country but they should not be forced to dedicate there lives to something that they don't even want.

Also h only real argument is that the draft is sometimes needed to protect the country. However, we haven't had the draft since World War II and not once has a war occurred in which we ran out of men. Also if we ever don't have enough troops, we should give incentives for joining the army, instead of just drafting people into it forcefully. Rebi may have good intentions, to protect the nation, but his ways of reaching those intentions are immoral and unjust. Also the U.S. is the most military advanced nation, and the global leader, we really don't have anything to fear from other nations, they aren't going to be able to break down our defenses.

Rebi forfeited this round.

That's kind of a let down. My first debate and I don't even ge to finish it...

Rebi forfeited this round.
Posted by pickle135 7 years ago
I am terribly sorry for getting my wars mixed up (note the sarcasm dripping from my words) but the thing is my case is based off of morals, so whether the last draft was in 1948 r 1973 or 2008 the morals remain the same and the case still stands.
Posted by jampitts 7 years ago
The last draft was in wwII ? NOBODY CAUGHT THAT THIS PERSON HAS NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE EVEN TALKING ABOUT? THE LAST DRAFT WAS DURING VIET NAM IF YOURE GOING TO SHOOT YOUR MOUTH OFF AT LEAST TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.From 1948 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means. In 1973, Under President Nixon the draft ended and the U.S. converted to an All-Volunteer military.
Posted by pickle135 7 years ago
forfeit=no fun
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
After reading Rebi's little 'statement', I DEFINITELY wish that I would have just taken this.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago

I'm not saying that the Declaration of Independence had any legal bearing. I'm just saying that it reflects the morals of the Founding Fathers just as well as the Constitution.
Posted by pickle135 7 years ago
lol no problem Rebi, I'm just happy that people wanted to debate, hey I gtg so I'll post my argument tommorow
Posted by Rebi 7 years ago
Posted by pickle135 7 years ago
sry man
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Nevermind... Rebi took it... :(
Posted by pickle135 7 years ago
how do i change it to 8000?
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago