The drinking age in the United States should be 18

I will be presenting my case on why I think the drinking and purchasing of alcohol age in the United States should be eighteen years. Round structure shall go like this:

Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - State your case on why it should/not be eighteen.
Round 3 - Refutation of opponent's arguments and conclusion.

I accept the challenge.

Thank you con for accepting with your brief intro. I'm going to try and keep these short since there's not a whole essay to write.

On July 17, 1984, Unitd States Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age into effect, increasing the drinking age from 18 years of age to 21 years of age. This limited the purchase, sales, and consumption to anyone underneath this age. Previously, the states had set their own laws as to the drinking age which varied from eighteen years old to twenty-one at the time. The vast majority had it set at eighteen years.

The United States is one of ONLY FOUR developed countries in the entire world to have this age set to over 18. It currently has the highest drinking age in the world. The other countries are South Korea being 19, parts of Canada being 19, Japan being 20, and Iceland being 19 years. The majority of the world has it set at eighteen years of age with a few exceptions at sixteen.

At the age of 18 years of age, one becomes a legal adult. This person is able to vote in all national elections including Presidential, Congressional, and Gubernational. They are able to legally vote for the person that runs our country. This is far more important than consuming alcohol. They are also able to enlist in the military, righteously defend their country, be drafted, and participate in war. They could possibly be killed in battle as well.

An eighteen year old person is also able to smoke and buy tobacco legally. They are able to inhale nicotine, smoke, and chemicals into their body through cigarettes or cigars. This causes far more damage than alcohol. Not to mention that they are also able to play the LOTTERY and win millions of dollars for themselves.

An eighteen year old can also legally have sex without risk of statutory rape being pressed against them, they can visit a sex store, and legally watch or produce pornography.

An eighteen year old is able to move out without the support of their parents, apply for welfare and food stamps, build up credit, and take out loans for cars, houses, school, or anything of the sort.

So let's sum this up. An eighteen year old is an adult, can be a part of the military, die for their country, vote for the leader of their country, smoke highly addictive cigarettes and cigars, known to cause cancer, move out of their parent's hospitatility, legally buy a car or house and take out loans, have sex and watch porn with no problem, but cannot drink alcohol.

While alcohol can be psychologically addictive, it is nowhere as dangerous as tobacco smoke. Alcohol is a stimulant and depressant and should be drinken responsibly. An eighteen year old can doing anything else responsibly, so why not drink? This would also lower the amount of worry and preoccupation of police officers on college campuses with students trying to smuggle it into the campus.

This is why the alcohol purchase and consumption age should nationally be lowered to age 18 after thirty years of having it at twenty-one years of age.

CStrand forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments as this is the second time an opponent has forfeited in this type of debate. How disappointing :(

CStrand forfeited this round.
Posted by Brennan-Huff 2 years ago
I hope so too. This is really a non-issue, as you said, an 18 year old is able to take part in matters far more consequential than alcohol consumption. Besides this we know for a fact that even though the drinking age is 21 many "minors" consume it anyways, as most high school parties rely mainly alcohol or soft drugs for the party effect. Another point I would like to see mentioned is that because of the age requirements many kids get alcohol through other sources, such as when kids drive across the borders to get booze or have an adult buy them it, or even resorting to fake id's. All three of these things have horrible consequences, but getting caught with alcohol is like a slap on the hand.
Posted by Greematthew 2 years ago
I expect my opponent to stick with this debate as my last opponent was new to the site and forfeited all of his rounds.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro did not forfeit any rounds (earns conduct) pro made arguments and therefore they were more convincing. Con did not use any spelling or grammar and the points go to pro.