pabeltrani
bekd80

The drinking age should be lowered to 18 (redone)

pabeltrani

Pro

In this debate, I will argue that the legal drinking age for the United States should be lowered to 18, while the Con will debate that it should state at 21. Due to problems with the previous debate, this will be a redo of the original. Round 1 will be dedicated to the acceptance of the debate, with the standard debate following that. I wish the Con best of luck for the debate!
bekd80

Con

I (once again) accept this debate. I have no questions for the pro side at this time.
We can continue on to round 2. Good luck to you as well. Lets redo this...lol
pabeltrani

Pro

Lol very well then. The way I see it, citizens of the United States of America are legally adults when they turn 18. They are able to drive, vote in elections, and even decide to join the armed forces. The not only have the opportunity the make important life dicisions, but they have to make decisions that will effect the rest of their life. With all of this said, why can we not trust them to make the right decision with alcohol? Besides, its no secret that there are a large number of teenagers that are already parttaking in drinking anyway. Lowering the drinking age might actually curtail the amount of underage drinking. Some of them like the fact that they are breaking the law, they get a kick out of this act of definance. Lowering the age to 18 would get rid of this rebellious factor in their attitudes, and might actually decrease the amount of drinking.
bekd80

Con

You do make some good points, however, I am going to talk about maturity now and bring in some of the other points at a later time.
On maturity, while there are many 18 y.o who join the military there are many more who don't, because they are not fully mature. I have read that the brain does not fully mature until about 25. That being said, there is definitely alot of maturing still needed within that time period of 18 to 25 and adding things like alcohol can impair that maturing.
I also think it would be a bad influence on teens around 15-17 year olds, being that many 18 year olds "hang out" with younger teens. There are also alot of teens who are 18 still in high school, which makes it even more possible to influence the younger teens. In the article that I have posted below, it also states that teens become more aggressive around the age of 16 and with drinking this can cause a rise in violence. If you would like to elaborate some of your other points more, I will respond to them ion the following rounds. :)

http://www.foxnews.com......
pabeltrani

Pro

Going back to the point on maturity for a moment, I will concede that there are a number of adolescents that are not mature. Then again, there is also a good number of adults that are not mature, and probably never will be. It will be worthwhile to keep in mind that we are talking about the majority of individuals in a group. We have all heard stories about the immaturity of adolescents, and the negative impact that those decision have on themselves and others. However, just because we have heard these types of stories before does not mean that these specific individuals accurately represent the entire age group. Just something to keep in mind moving forward.

A point I would like to elaborate on is the fact that this might actually lower the number of teenagers that drink while they're underage. Lowering it to 18 would effectively squander the rebellious attitude that they have concerning alcohol consumption. Teenagers usually don't drink alcohol just because they like to drink, there can be a myriad of reasons why they would. One of which is to defy their parents, the law, and basically the rest of the world. Lowering the drinking age would take this out of the equation.
bekd80

Con

To respond to your argument, that lowering the age limit for alcohol consumption would curb the teens feeling the need to rebel....I think that right there shows that it would not be a good idea to lower the drinking age. If these "kids" feel the need to rebel, that tells me they are not mature enough to make "adult" decisions. I believe rebelliousness is a factor in immaturity. Past studies have shown that when the age limit for drinking was lower, accidents from drunk driving were higher. Also, the younger you start drinking, the more chance you have of developing a drinking problem (i.e. alcoholism).

http://www.startribune.com......
pabeltrani

Pro

One could easily argue that this rebellious attitude is part of growing up, and can come up at varying times in an adolescent's development. In addition, this attitude can be carried out several different ways. But that generally takes place during the early teen years, by the time they're 18 most of that isn't an issue anymore. For the few that it is an issue, lowering the age would fix that. Also, keep in mind that they are legally adults when they turn 18, so why give them most of the responsibilities of an adult and not allow them to drink? Doesn't it seem a little inconsistent to give them some of the responsibilities and not all of them?
bekd80

Con

I don't think that making drinking legal for 18 year olds is going to eliminate any rebelliousness (in the kids that are still rebellious at that age). I would say that they are just going to drink more, because now they are able to. I would also, say this would, especially, be the case for the 18 y.o. that are rebellious, because being rebellious shows immaturity, and if they are immature, how can they be responsible drinkers. Also, if rebelliousness is part of growing up, then you could say that these kids are not yet mature enough to drink since they are still "growing up".
On the other point that you make about kids at 18 being able to vote etc... I'm not really going to go into that, that is more of a political thing as far as I'm concerned. But, I will say, voting is not something that impairs your judgement, and you can't get behind the wheel of a car and possibly kill someone by voting...
pabeltrani

Pro

The point I was trying to make with the voting is a matter of responsibility; an 18 year-old is able to vote in the most powerful person on the face of the planet, and will ultimately shape their own futures based on that decision and many other decisions that are normal for a young adult to make. However, despite all of that they are unable to legally consume alcohol. It seems inconsistent to entrust them with some of the responsibilities of an adult, but not all of them.

To conclude, I do not think that teenagers drinking would increase with a lowering of the drinking age, and I think it would be only fair to give them this right when so many other responsibilities are already bestowed upon them. I would like to thank the con for a very entertaining debate.
bekd80

Con

bekd80 forfeited this round.