The driving age should be increased to 18 years of age.

I will be saying that the driving age should be 18, and my opponent will be against it. First round is accepting the debate, and nothing else.

At the age of eighteen you are given your freedom. From your parents, from school, and from all of your friends. Why would you want to drive around the year that all your friends are going to leave you anyways? High School entrance is like a coming of age ceremony. Why wouldn't you want your drivers' license then? I'd really like to see your argument, I'll get a laugh out of it.

You were only supposed to accept on the first round, but I don't consider that statement you made a real argument, so it is okay.

To get on point, I understand that it is a coming of age ceremony in a way, but many teens are very irresponsible. I will state that in a trusty online article, the author gave some scary statistics:
"Teen Drivers, Cell Phones, and Texting
32.8% of high school students nationwide have texted or e-mailed while driving.
12% of distracted drivers involved in fatal car accidents were teens ages 15 to 19.
Talking on a cell phone can double the likelihood of an accident and can slow a young driver's reaction time to that of a 70-year-old.
Drivers under the age of 20 make up the largest percentage of distracted drivers.
56% of teens admit to talking on cell phones while driving.
13% of teens admit to texting while driving.
34% of teens age 16 and 17 admit that they send and respond to text messages while driving.
48% of kids ages 12 to 17 report being in a car when the driver was texting.

Underage Drinking & Driving Statistics
About 1/4 of fatal teen car accidents involve underage drinking and driving. (MADD)
About 5.8% of 16- and 17-year-olds and 15.1% of 18- to 20-year-olds reported driving under the influence of alcohol in the past year. (MADD)
About 8.2% of high school students reported driving a car or other vehicle one or more times when they had been drinking alcohol.
13.5% of 12th graders reported driving after drinking.
Kids who start drinking young are 7x more likely to be in an alcohol-related crash. (MADD)"

These stats are not only scary in a way, they very clearly state that High schoolers can't be mature enough to operate a motor vehicle without risking the LIVES of others. Safety is of my concern, and I get mad at all the stupid drivers on the road these days. Most of them are younger. I believe the driving age should be 20, but it would be dumb to not allow adults to drive, so 18 should be the minimum. I also think that if the law enforcement officers where given a device that can detect when a text is sent in a nearby vehicle (by analyzing telephone signals) than these idiots on their phones could be brought to justice.

I always put safety first over "coming of age" because if the students are not mature enough to have a licence, than they simply shouldn't. If this coming of age thing KILLS young people who could have good potential or even just the fact that it causes so many fatal accidents, than why have it. If you don't agree, than 'go be a chump, and vote for Trump!'

Don't worry about my last argument. I don't actually believe that we should let our kids drive on roads just because they're old enough. I just wanted to see how you would react to that.

It is not like the government hasn't considered your argument. That's why we have licenses. You see, you cannot get a license without passing the driving test. Just like you aren't guaranteed to graduate, you are not guaranteed to get a driver's license. Pushing the age back to eighteen will not have a negative change on any of those stats you shared. People are not stupid or reckless drivers because they are seventeen. They are stupid and reckless drivers because they are bad drivers. People are not good people because they are thirty-five. They are good people because that is who they choose to be.

Seriously! You where messing with me? That isn't exactly the best debate etiquette. That was a waste of a whole round. Not funny chump...

Besides that, strict laws for driving licenses are not yet in place, or are not being enforced properly. The result is that when cops see a 16 year old driving, they expect them to have a license. They cause a very large amount of car accidents every year. 18 year olds are usually more mature, but there will always be those people who are just never qualified to drive. This is why licenses shouldn't be handed out so freely to younger people.

We have two options: we can create tighter control on teenager licensing, or we can increase the license minimum to 18 years of age. The first option would be costly, in time especially. A lot of people would already have their license and they would all need to be retested for it. The second option will stop some of the fatal car accidents, because we can stop people from allowing immature adolescents from operating cars. The second solution will be easier, because we could simply remove licenses from 16 year olds, but this could cause lots of younger people complications, so removing the existing licenses may not be possible.

All I am trying to say, is the problem has to be solved, or it would continue to cause several problems. And no more of this dumb "messing with crap", because it makes it seem like you aren't taking this seriously (Which is kind of obvious...).

bestfriendswithdebating forfeited this round.

I'm sorry I called you a chump earlier, and I see you have forfeited. I just get mad when people come on this site and don't take it seriously. I don't have much to say, so reveiw my earlier arguments.

Posted by Themeaman909 10 months ago
Its okay. I can easily counter that argument, and I sometimes do little things at the end like con did, so I don't mind that.
Posted by SonicAndRapBattles 10 months ago
the end of cons argument was rude!
Posted by Jbeote81 10 months ago
Im not in this debate, but i think that the driving age should not be increased to 18 because there are a lot of people that get jobs before 18 and they cant always rely on someone else to get them to where they need to be
Posted by Bravo8675309 10 months ago
Con, did you even read Pro's R1? You were only meant to accept. :P