Proving_a_Negative
slave123

The earth is not flat.

Proving_a_Negative

Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Argument
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Closing Statement

The earth is not flat.
slave123

Con

I humbly accept your challenge the earth is flat Ameen
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Thank you for accepting the challenge.
My list of evidence for the earth being not flat:
1. Photos from space
2. The shadow on the moon
3. Circumnavigation
4. Ships sailing off into the distance, their sails will "fall into the water"
5. The night and day cycle can be easily explained with a solar system that has a spherical earth.

A continuation from #6: Where is the edge? Why haven't we found it yet? If we have, please provide a picture.
slave123

Con

Thankyou for the debate Pro,

I see you posted some good reasons,

Here are my reasons why I believe the earth is flat,

1st off I don't believe in what science says,

I only believe what God says,

and God says in the Quran the earth is flat ameen,

I only believe in the Quran and Hadith and not science ameen,

How do I know the Quran is the Word of God,

because no one can produce a chapter like it ameen,

to this day, no one has produced a surah like the Quran ameen,

so what does the Word of God tell us?

"And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance. " Quran 15:19

"He Who has, made for you the earth like a carpet spread out; has enabled you to go about therein by roads (and channels); and has sent down water from the sky." With it have We produced diverse pairs of plants each separate from the others. " Quran 20:53

and so on,

Also the great Islamic Scholar Ibn Abbas proved the earth is flat,

He knew the Prophet saw so, if the Prophet said the earth is flat, then it is flat and there is no question about it, ameen,

http://altafsir.com...

Finally I will give you some logical reasons why the earth is flat,

1. if I put a ball on the ground, it will stay steady and won't hurdle into space ameen,

2. If the earth was round, people on the bottom would fall off ameen,

Those are my reasons why I believe the earth is flat,

Inshallah in the Rebuttal rounds I will debunk Pro's arguments ameen

JazakAllah Khair ameen
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

It seems as though we have 2 completely different ways to evaluate what is true and what is not. I tend to follow science and let it determine what has the most evidence. You will side with the Quran over anything in science. I'm afraid though that this perspective of the world is wrong unless there is substantial evidence proving that the Quran is true. Your reasoning that the Quran was the Word of God was that "no one can produce a chapter like it." I'm afraid that more evidence will be needed, if that is even counted as any. If you choose to believe in the Quran, that's fine. This doesn't automatically make science wrong and the Quran true though.

As for the logical reasons why the earth is flat, here is my explanation. #1, this is because of a phenomena known as "gravity" which is defined as the force that attracts a body toward the center of the earth, or toward any other physical body having mass. What exactly causes gravity is still up for debate but one theory is gravitons. #2 is exactly the same reason as #1. Thank you and good luck.
slave123

Con

Rebuttle

"It seems as though we have 2 completely different ways to evaluate what is true and what is not. I tend to follow science and let it determine what has the most evidence. You will side with the Quran over anything in science. I'm afraid though that this perspective of the world is wrong unless there is substantial evidence proving that the Quran is true. Your reasoning that the Quran was the Word of God was that "no one can produce a chapter like it." I'm afraid that more evidence will be needed, if that is even counted as any. If you choose to believe in the Quran, that's fine. This doesn't automatically make science wrong and the Quran true though."

Science is full of lies,

scientists work for the government,

and the government has lied to us repeatedly,

my government has lied to me about the gulf of tonkin incident, 911, ufos, area 51, the second death of Osama Binladen, the JFK Assassination, Elchupacabra, Mothman, and many many other things,

the last thing science wants is for us to find the truth,

since it is under the control of the illuminati ameen

The Quran however is proof,

No one can make a chapter like it,

proving it cannot be written by humans,

it can only be the world of God ameen,

"As for the logical reasons why the earth is flat, here is my explanation. #1, this is because of a phenomena known as "gravity" which is defined as the force that attracts a body toward the center of the earth, or toward any other physical body having mass. What exactly causes gravity is still up for debate but one theory is gravitons. #2 is exactly the same reason as #1. Thank you and good luck."

What is gravity though,

have you ever seen a graviton?

your science hasn't even discovered it yet or seen it or proven it exists ameen,

I believe an angel pulls us down to the earth,

my theory is as good as Albert Einstein,

Also if gravity pulls us down, how does it pull the people on the bottom of the earth up?

"1. Photos from space"

Complete hoax there is no such thing as outerspace there are only 7 heavens ameen

"2. The shadow on the moon"

I never seen it how do you know it is there,

I believe if it is there it is a 250 mile long crow instead ameen

"3. Circumnavigation"

what the heck is that?

"4. Ships sailing off into the distance, their sails will "fall into the water"

No one has tried sailing to the edge of the earth,

Christopher Columbus never existed,

we live in a matrix built by the Jews,

Arabia is the only country that exists in the real world ameen

"5. The night and day cycle can be easily explained with a solar system that has a spherical earth"

The Sun goes in murkey water at night ameen,

America isn't real,

we live in a Zionist matrix or virtual reality ameen

"A continuation from #6: Where is the edge? Why haven't we found it yet? If we have, please provide a picture."

No one has tried to find the edge, because the devil lives in the ocean,

and there are also sea monsters,

people in the real world are too scared to venture into the ocean,

because the sea monsters will get them inshallah ameen
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Note: When I say "prove" something, I don't mean that it is officially the universal truth. I mean that there is sufficient evidence to believe in that claim. Saying "prove" is just much easier. I will explain later on.

"Science is full of lies"

Science is not full of lies. We can see scholarly papers written with experiments that are repeatable. Hence, to say science is full of lies, you would need to show that these scientists are misrepresenting data that they got. Other scientists who are skeptical will actually try to do this for you, sometimes succeeding and other times not. The more evidence that something has, the more universaly accepted a theory is. These theories lie in a continuum that looks like this:

O - - - - X - - - - O
0/100 50/100 100/100

To the best of my knowledge, nothing can be completely proven false or true. Therefore, You cannot reach the complete end of the line (which is why I left the ends as open circles). You can get to anything inbetween. The further right it is, the more likely any random rational person with all knowledge on the subject will agree with the theory. The further left you are, the less likely. The earth not being flat lies far to the right.

"scientists work for the government"

Some do, but not all. For example, a Junior in college doing research in the field of atmospheric chemistry wouldn't technically work for the government. If you claim he does by suggesting that he works for the school and that the school is part of the country which is governed by the government, then everybody works for the government. Another example would be somebody who is just genuinely interested in doing independent research to possible make a huge breakthrough in science.

"and the government has lied to us repeatedly"

Which government? What proof do you have for said claim? What does this have to do with the scientists? Does this discredit any evidence supporting a not flat earth?

"my government has lied to me about the gulf of tonkin incident, 911, ufos, area 51, the second death of Osama Binladen, the JFK Assassination, Elchupacabra, Mothman, and many many other things"

Please give proof of this and explain the connection to science.

"the last thing science wants is for us to find the truth"

Science is actively seeking the truth to explain how the universe behaves around us.

"No one can make a chapter like it"

To say the the Quran was made by a non human since nobody can create a chapter like it is very subjective. I can claim that the Bible and the Quran are similar, but you would argue that they are vastly different. Also, if it wasn't written by a human, then what was it written by? How does this validate all the claims in the Quran?

"What is gravity though"

1. the force that attracts a body toward the center of the earth, or toward any other physical body having mass. For most purposes Newton's laws of gravity apply, with minor modifications to take the general theory of relativity into account. (Physics)

"have you ever seen a graviton?"

No.

"your science hasn't even discovered it yet or seen it or proven it exists ameen"

If by discovered you mean theorized then yes it has been already. Check out this wikipedia article about gravitons: http://en.wikipedia.org.... Nothing can be officially proven as stated above. This theory I would speculate lies far to the left, since it isn't that hot of a topic in current physics.

"I believe an angel pulls us down to the earth"

It's okay to believe it, but to argue that it is true will require evidence.

"my theory is as good as Albert Einstein"

Now you need evidence. Also, it is incorrect to assume that since a "smart" scientist was correct about many topics, he will be correct in all topics. Albert Einstein was very creative in his experiments and was able to prove many different theories and give substantial evidence.

"Also if gravity pulls us down, how does it pull the people on the bottom of the earth up?"

There is no "bottom" or "top" of the earth. Gravity pulls mass towards the center of gravity, for the earth this would be incredibly close to the center as explained in the definition.

"Complete hoax there is no such thing as outerspace there are only 7 heavens ameen"

Please give evidence of this.

"'2. The shadow on the moon'

I never seen it how do you know it is there"

You probably have seen it. Whenever the moon is not full, the portion you don't see is getting blocked out by the earth. The shape of the shadow is very predictable since the earth and the moon follow very predictable orbits around the sun. Proof is here: http://www.moonconnection.com...

"I believe if it is there it is a 250 mile long crow instead ameen"

Again it is okay to believe that, but to argue that it is true will require evidence.

"what the heck is that?"

Circumnavigation is:
  1. to sail or fly around; make the circuit of by navigation: to circumnavigate the earth. to go or maneuver around: to circumnavigate the heavy downtown traffic.
People who have completed notable circumnavigations can be found on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Christopher Columbus never existed,

we live in a matrix built by the Jews,

Arabia is the only country that exists in the real world ameen"

Evidence please.

"The Sun goes in murkey water at night ameen,

America isn't real,

we live in a Zionist matrix or virtual reality ameen"

Evidence please.

"No one has tried to find the edge, because the devil lives in the ocean,

and there are also sea monsters,

because the sea monsters will get them inshallah ameen"

People have tried to reach the edge as listed by the people who have circumnavigated the earth. Please give evidence for all other claims.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://www.moonconnection.com...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
slave123

Con

slave123 forfeited this round.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Dude this has to be a troll, America doesn't really exist? Arabia is the only coutnry that exists? LOL

I had a very good laugh especially in the 2nd last round, for that I thank you slave123 (I can't even say your name without it sounding like an insult).
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 2 years ago
Russia_The_almighty
The Earth is flat does not necessarily mean
https://joy2theworld2012.wordpress.com...

Definition of flat: relatively smooth
Most of Earth's surface does not have huge ravines or towering mountains meaning Earth's surface is relatively smooth.
Posted by Dill777 2 years ago
Dill777
Better not go to Antarctica or else i'll fall off
Posted by slave123 2 years ago
slave123
No I originally believed this, I am not sure now, but this is what I thought ameen
Posted by DizzyKnight 2 years ago
DizzyKnight
Not sure if trolling or...probably trolling...
Vote Placed by Prescott 2 years ago
Prescott
Proving_a_Negativeslave123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel ridiculous explaining the reasoning, but here it goes. Pro wins for better arguments because Con never offered any valid or convincing arguments to people outside of the Islamic faith (not to say followers of Islam would be convinced either). Spelling and Grammar goes to Pro because Con failed to utilize proper grammar throughout the entirety of the debate. Most reliable sources goes to Pro for obvious reasons.