Matpat
ImaWin

The earth is round

Matpat has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Matpat

Pro

Earth is round.
ImaWin

Con

The earth is not round it is an oblate spheroid[1]. A round object is a ball while the oblate spheroid is a egg like shape. This is formed because of the earth's rotation makes the equator bulge out. This effect can be clearly seen in pictures taken from the Apollo missions or if you want to do a quick experiment on your own you can just spin quickly around in a circle with your arms loose. Your arms will swing out just like how the equator does on our planet.

By the way, next time you want to rig a debate in your favor, think about the wording of your resolution a bit more.
I am excited to see what you respond with. Good Luck!

1. http://www.universetoday.com...
Matpat

Pro

Well, my definition of round constitutes a more vague definition. "Round" in this context means "not flat". Of course, I was looking for "flat-earth" arguers, so...

Thanks for the argument; however, I don't know where this debate is going to go.

XD
ImaWin

Con

Round from Merriam-Webster- having every part of the surface or circumference equidistant from the center

I think I have won, The earth is not round or flat.

My last question for my opponent, are you the real Mat Pat?
Posted by Youngastronomer 8 months ago
Youngastronomer
A spheroid is still round.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
No, he's not MatPat. Pro's just a big fan.
Posted by Frederik 1 year ago
Frederik
Classical "Oh sh-t" moment lol
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 1 year ago
Rational_Thinker9119
The Earth doesn't have to be perfectly spherical to be round lol Even if it is egg shaped eggs are still round...
Posted by Edlvsjd 1 year ago
Edlvsjd
I tried to tell ya. Pssst.. it's really flat and round.
Posted by Edlvsjd 1 year ago
Edlvsjd
I contend that the earth is both flat and round
Posted by Edlvsjd 1 year ago
Edlvsjd
Can you change round to spherical? A quarter is round, a pizza is round...
Posted by Mike_10-4 1 year ago
Mike_10-4
Is the earth really "round"?

The Earth is flattened at the poles and bulges at the equator, geodesy represents the shape of the earth with an oblate spheroid. The oblate spheroid, or oblate ellipsoid, is an ellipsoid of revolution obtained by rotating an ellipse about its shorter axis.

Therefore, the earth is an ellipse not "round."