397492387
philosophicalnutcase

The economics system is not biased against poor people.

Started: 6/21/2018 Category: Economics

397492387

Con

According to the Brookings Institute the three things poor teens need to succeed in life are number one get job number two get through high school and finally don't marry too early. Once people follow these simple rules they have only a 2% chance of being poor and a 25% chance of not making over 55,000 dollars.

Sources: https://www.brookings.edu...

Happy debating!
(P.S No ad hominems)
philosophicalnutcase

Pro

Let's go over this. First, getting a job- most job options are either minimum wage- which is an unlivable amount. And in order to get a livable job, one must drown in debt if they're capable of acquiring a loan at all. This system keeps poor people below the poverty line, in and out of jail and constantly in debt. As for high school, many under the poverty line has no choice but to drop out to support their family. The same goes for marriage- it can be a lifesaver financially.

Not to mention, people with disabilities, mental health issues, etc. are treated terribly in the workforce.

Our economy is corrupt, run by trickle down economics and wealthy lobbyists. This system has repeated been found ineffective (Chicago Tribune) and pointless. It's designed to make the rich richer and the poor stay on food stamps. According to The Nation, "Nineteen of every 20 dollars of new wealth created goes to the top 1 percent."and "The top 1 percent has more wealth than the bottom 90 percent." That's an insanely corrupt system.

Furthermore the average US household with credit card debt owes more than $16,000 to credit card companies. These policies are putting exponential pressure on families for their own greed.
397492387

Con

Sources: https://www.brookings.edu...

Happy debating!
(P.S No ad hominems)
philosophicalnutcase

Pro

Those are the points I just refuted.
397492387

Con

Yes but you didn't respond sufficiently to them so I needed to post them again. Also in America if you work hard you can succeed and our goal should be getting people off of welfare not keeping them on.
philosophicalnutcase

Pro

I did refute those points. To get a job higher than minimum wage, one must usually go to college, which is nearly impossible to do without drowning in debt. Saying, "if you work hard enough you can be rich" isn't an argument, its a vague statement, and quite often untrue. You also provide no statistics to suggest that people who work exceptionally hard go from lower class to higher class just by working hard. A minimum wage worker still cannot support themselves working 40 hours a week.
Posted by 397492387 3 months ago
397492387
Aso I was going to point that out later
Posted by 397492387 3 months ago
397492387
It was a mistake to copy and paste.
Posted by Negotiate 3 months ago
Negotiate
The Nation is a very progressive publication- so of course, they will have some bias and political spin.

Did you mean to copy and paste your first round, con?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that that from 1979-2014 (the year of the study) that the "real earnings for the lowest earners remain unchanged." They also recorded how the lowest earners had strikenly low education compared to the middle and highest earners- noting how college graduates earn twice as much as high school graduates at the highest paid level." [1]

[1] BLS
https://www.bls.gov...
Posted by 397492387 3 months ago
397492387
I agree completely asp its a pleasure to complement people as smart as you.
Posted by Negotiate 3 months ago
Negotiate
Appreciate the kind assumption. I just wanted to make sure as I completely agree with you when you say that it is not a biased system. I think Welfare and other programs are enough reason alone to justify this claim. There is also proof (studies) that show that the poor are becoming richer despite what is assumed.
Posted by 397492387 3 months ago
397492387
If you disagree you can debate me :)
Posted by 397492387 3 months ago
397492387
I don't believe its biased also you I am not in a any way angry at you for posting this question and I assume you are highly intelligent so why should I forgive you.
Posted by Negotiate 3 months ago
Negotiate
So do you believe that it is biased or not? Forgive me, I'm just a little confused.
Posted by Negotiate 3 months ago
Negotiate