BlindBeliever
Mysery

The ellipsis should have 2 dots/periods/full-stops instead of 3.

BlindBeliever

Pro

The ellipsis "..." is wasting a character and precious paper space as well as ink for no reason at all. Two dots/periods/full-stops mean nothing in particular so why are we wasting a symbol?

It is okay, I understand, it will waste many resources to replace all the past instances of ellipses with two. So how about just from today onwards it is enforced?

It literally wastes an extra bit of memory in a server every time it's typed. This is not actually a joke, imagine all the ellipses that have ever been used at all on the Internet, how much faster would it be if it required only 2?

On the off-chance that someone comes in here supporting militant-nihilism in the sense that we should end our lives and all that is as fast as possible and wasting resources is a good way to do this, I would like to point out that of all the punctuation marks, the only one wasting anything is the one that is used least often, so that's a very foolish angle to take because it doesn't remotely justify why of all the punctuation symbols this one is irrationally wasting space while the others are clearly conserving it other than perhaps the question mark.

First round is not for acceptance...

That would have been a waste of resources. ;)
Mysery

Con

Making an ellipsis two dots would ruin its essence and create frustration.

People today are accustomed to seeing an ellipsis with three dots. When they see the three dots, they take a pause of an appropriate length. Their brains are trained to do this. Changing the way an ellipsis looks would change the mental pause that is taken. Even speed-readers who do not have a "head-voice" would still suffer from this- what about text that is written to be spoken? If the president's speech writer put an ellipsis in his speech, the president would need to know what kind of pause to take. The length of this pause could completely change the political impact.

Also, typing only two periods looks like a typo. I make your proposed ellipsis accidentally when I'm typing too fast. Every time a reader saw a two-dot ellipsis, they would have to wonder whether or not it was intentional. A three-dot ellipsis is confidence-inspiring. I know that it was not done accidentally. I can pause without doubt. Having three dots builds anticipation. It takes your eyes longer to scan it. During this time, you revel in wonder. Your proposed ellipsis looks like I accidentally put two periods in the middle of my sentence.

Also, changing a punctuation mark is a big deal. Even if the proposed change was awesome, it would not look aesthetically pleasing for a very long time. This is because we are used to the old mark. It will stand out. Imagine a world with a newly implemented two-dot ellipsis. If you're engrossed in a story, whenever you see an ellipsis you will be shocked out of it. No matter which ellipsis it is, you're suddenly thinking about when the book was written. You're thinking about punctuation instead of the pause you were supposed to be taking.

If we're going to edit punctuation, the ellipsis really isn't top priority. What about a sarcasm mark? Relationships have been ruined over the lack of this punctuation in texting. This mark could change the inherent nature of the written word, opening up a new realm of writing possibilities. But you want to waste our time editing a perfectly good piece of punctuation?

The extra dot in the ellipsis really isn't wasting that much. We, as a society, have developed enough to allow ourselves some luxuries. Not everything must be done to conserve resources. This is the solution to a problem we don't have. Even if it really was a problem, changing the ellipsis wouldn't be big enough to solve it.

Still, even if it was, it would not be worth the consequences.
BlindBeliever

Pro

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Mysery

Con

My opponent deactivated his account, so I win this debate.
BlindBeliever

Pro

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Mysery

Con

It does not matter what I type here.
BlindBeliever

Pro

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Mysery

Con

What's the proper thing to type in this situation?
BlindBeliever

Pro

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 10 months ago
Ragnar
I stand corrected.
Posted by BlindBeliever 10 months ago
BlindBeliever
Actually the rule is to ignore the period and just end it with one.
Posted by Ragnar 10 months ago
Ragnar
Occasionally there is a need for two periods, like if I end a sentence with an abbreviation, such as etc..