The end of the world 12/21/2012

The end of the world is as likely to be 12/21/2012 as my pants catching on fire will I'm walking across the room. This is not very likely, possible but not likely. There has been many predictions of the end of the world and what makes people think that this time it will happen.

I will of course be arguing that the world IS INDEED going to end as predicted, on 21/12/2012.

Over to you, good sir.

Thank you kind fellow,
As I stated before there has been many predictions of the end of the world.

Before we continue, it's worth emphasizing that this mesoamerican calendar (as used by several cultures -- including the Maya -- in Central and South America before European colonization) does not predict an apocalypse. It never did, despite what the movie "2012" told us.

The Mayan civilization existed from 250-900 A.D. in the current geographical location of southern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and some of Honduras. Archaeologists studying this fascinating culture have been able to decipher their many calendars, but their longest period calendar -- the "Long Count" -- is what set alarm bells off in the fertile minds of a few conspiracy theorists, doomsayers and guys looking to make a fast buck.

So, where's the problem?

The Long Count was used by the Maya to document past and future events. Their other calendars were simply too short to document any date beyond 52 years. The 52-year calendar -- known as the "Calendar Round" -- was used as it spans a generation, or the approximate lifetime of an individual.

Using the Calendar Round meant that events in a person's life could be chronicled over 52 years -- or 52 "Haab's," spanning 18,980 unique days. But what if the Maya wanted to keep note of a historical event that occurred more than 52 years ago? Or perhaps mark a date more than 52 years into the future?

The Mayan Calendar also did not account for the leap year, so by the Mayan Calendar 12/21/2012 has already past decades ago.

I will be breaking this argument in to two sections.

1) I will now explain in exacting detail why the Mesoamerican Long Count Calander describes 21st of December 2012.
2) I will then explain why this date is relevent and describes the end of the world.

So let's just get into it.

In this calander...
20 k'in (day) equaled 1 winal (week).
18 winal equaled 1 tun (month).
20 tun equaled 1 k'atun (year).
20 k'atun equaled 1 b'ak'tun (century).

In other words, 1 b'ak'tun equals 394.3 years or 144,000 days.

According to the most agreed upon calculations [], the 13th b'ak'tun will begin on the 21st of December, 2012. Leap years have been taken into account in this calculation. The "Haab" is irrelevant and is a different sort of calculation.

So, there we have it. "So, where's the problem?" is refuted.

Also, you just copy/pasta'd

This confirms my other piece of evidence when it says:
"To do this, most Mayan scholars use a well-respected correlation factor called the "GMT constant." GMT stands for the initials of the last names of the archaeologists who calculated the constant: Joseph Goodman, Juan Martinez-Hernandez and J. Eric S. Thompson."

It goes on to say some people question it's validity, but there have been no real breakthroughs. This simply suggests the scientific process is effective, not really that the GMT constant it is without value.

So there we go. I've shown that it's reasonable to believe that the Mesoamerican Long Count's 13th b'ak'tun will begin on 21st of December. Since we've got five rounds, I'll withhold the second part of my argument until the next round.

I look forward to hearing my opponents next round.

awesomeness101 forfeited this round.

Well that's unfortunate.

awesomeness101 forfeited this round.

tvellalott forfeited this round.

awesomeness101 forfeited this round.

tvellalott forfeited this round.
Posted by Koopin 4 years ago
I didn't believe in this. But now that Tom is pro I am certian it will happen.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
TV, in this kind of debate, ridiculous = warranted. Go for it.
Posted by tvellalott 4 years ago
What the hell was I thinking?
I'm going to have to be completely ridiculous.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Oh this should be fun...
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: less FF's