JohnT
CBill95

The existence of evil does not disprove God's existence

JohnT

Pro

I will be arguing that the fact that evil exists does not prove that God doesn't exist.

The first round will be for acceptance and any definitions.
CBill95

Con

I will accept your challenge now, but I ask for a better question, are we debating God's existence through the existence of evil, or Evil proving God's existance?
JohnT

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate. I will be arguing that the problem of evil does not disprove God's existence.

The problem of evil is usually presented something like this. "Evil and suffering exist in the world. God is supposed to be morally good and all powerful. If God was morally good then he would want to stop people from suffering. If he was all powerful then he would be able to stop suffering. Since God doesn't stop suffering from occurring, therefore he must not exist."

I will be making the following arguments.

1. We cannot know whether God has morally sufficient reasons for allowing suffering. We live in a certain point in time, and cannot know what will happen in the future. For all we know the bad that happens now may be the cause of great good later.

2. Without God all the evil that happens is without cause. The problem of evil is mostly an emotional one. It seems unfair that God would allow suffering to happen to us. However if God does not exist, then we can be certain that the evil things people do will go unpunished, and that the suffering people go through will not be rewarded, which seems much more unfair.

I look forward to hearing my opponents objections.
CBill95

Con

CBill95 forfeited this round.
JohnT

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited the last round I wouldn't post any more arguments in this one.
CBill95

Con

CBill95 forfeited this round.
Posted by Fan7651230 2 years ago
Fan7651230
It's not Man's indifference to God, it's Man's indifference to Man that causes so much suffering in the world.
Posted by lannan13 5 years ago
lannan13
I dont get it