GoldFyre
SkySky16

The feminist movement does not champion gender equality

GoldFyre has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

GoldFyre

Pro

First round is acceptance only. It's important to note that to win, I have to demonstrate one way in which feminism causes gender inequality, and the opponent needs to refute every example I provide as his/her burden.

Opponent may not use true scottsman fallacy to claim that such and such activities by feminists are not true feminism.

Finally, the definition of feminism is "organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests" (https://www.merriam-webster.com...). I think this is better than the lay definition of feminism because 1) I will expose that feminism is not working towards gender equality and 2) the lay definition of promoting gender equality would be unfair to Pro since the Con would just claim that actions taken by feminists to enhance gender inequality do not count as feminism.
SkySky16

Con

Although I am an anti-feminist, I accept this debate
Posted by GoldFyre 1 year ago
GoldFyre
My intent is to pick examples that are culturally relevant, especially in terms of law.
Posted by Fourth_Right 1 year ago
Fourth_Right
Doing kek's work, brother. Feminism is a movement to promote women's rights (regardless of the status they currently hold).

Women have always been and will always be the protected gender, it's a shame that modern women forget their privileges and place in society. Many, but not all, women are in the streets hardcore LARPing as if they live in Sharia law - and yet they scream FOR Sharia law.
Put simply, women must get their sh!t together.

Females are superior in market value - they don't need to be lifted up any higher.
They don't need to be oppressed either, I shouldn't need to qualify my statement as such but these are the times we live in.
For the women that aren't 3rd wave feminists, thank Christ for you.
Posted by Overhead 1 year ago
Overhead
The main problem seems to be that by your wording, you are trying to make it so you can pick a single example that is unrepresentative of the feminism movement but still treat it as an argument against the feminism movement.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Posted by GoldFyre 1 year ago
GoldFyre
I'm talking about western, 3rd wave feminism, although there are discussions of feminism in India especially that indicate that it is basically a female superiority movement
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
I think you might have a misunderstanding of the no true Scotsman fallacy. If someone does something that is opposite of the definition of a word, it doesn't matter if they claim it is, it isn't.

For example, if I claimed a shape that is 4 sided with all right angles is a circle, someone could refute that by saying it's not actually a true circle because a circle is a curve about a single point that has no sides.

Saying something is not a true example of something else is not necessarily a no true scotsman fallacy. It only is a no true scotsman if the person does something that the definition doesn't specify, and you claim that it's not a true version of that term.

For example, if feminism is defined as equality between the sexes, and then someone murders someone(murder is not in the definition) and then someone claims that feminism is evil because feminists murder, but someone retorts that real feminists don't murder, than that's a no true scotsman. However, claiming that someone who doesn't believe in gender equality is not a feminist is not a no true scotsman because it deals with the definition of the word.

So, a no true scotsman has to do with a claim that doesn't directly deal with the definition of the term. If it does deal with the definition of the term, then it's not a no true scotsmans
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
Are you talking strictly about the western feminism movement, or all of feminism in general?