typhoon2401
UltimateSkeptic

The flaws of Democracy

UltimateSkeptic

typhoon2401

Pro

We are constantly told how democracy is the greatest form of government you can have. But I would take issue with that. With the onset of the global recession, I have looked more critically at democracy. I believe that one of its greatest flaws is that "the people" refuse to take responsibility for their actions. For example, in Ireland the ordinary people keep saying that the recession was not their fault, that they were misled and deceived by the media and government. Yet I have found this to be a lie. There is ample evidence that, from 2000 onwards, the people were told many times that there was trouble in the banking sector and more so in the national economy. Yet, instead of heeding the warnings, the people opted to punish the Finance Minister and government that tried to tighten the purse strings. The Minister was packed off to an EU job and the government undid all of his work but the problems in the banks and the economy continued to bring about our current recession. Yet the people refuse to accept that they were at least partly to blame. This anecdote highlights the fact that democracy, far from being based on reason and good debate, is in fact based on the whims and prejudices of voters. Other criticisms of democracy are that it is inefficient and that its instability is threatening to trade which provides jobs for people. I would just like to finish off by stating that I am not a fascist or anything. I am just looking for a debate on democracy.
UltimateSkeptic

Con

"Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Democracy allows eligible citizens to participate equally—either directly or through elected representatives—in the proposal, development, and creation of laws. It encompasses social, economic and cultural conditions that enable the free and equal practice of political self-determination."[1]

I. Firstly, my opponent has made a number of claims with no evidence of them every occurring. He has made the claim that the people of Ireland do not feel at least partly responsible for their voting, and has stated that they blamed the media and their government. Even in the assumption that this is true, can they not have been genuinely deceived by the media and their government? To say that the media and the government can't influence and manipulate towards specific outcomes is to be ignorant of reality. He claims that they were warned, but again, can you not be warned but still manipulated towards or against a specific choice? Of course you can.

II. My opponent has yet to provide an actual attack on democracy in and of itself, and has instead provided a number of instances that refer to fallibilism among human beings. A major part of the human condition is to be wrong, but there is no government that alienates the ability of humans to be wrong. Thus, my opponent has shown a problem with no specific government, but humanity itself.

Prejudices, bias, spontaneous decisions, and fallibility are all flaws within humanity, not democracy. Democracy encompasses the idea that the people of a given society are allowed to play a role in directly electing who they feel to be the best representative of the people. It also ensures that the people, as a majority, are able to directly control their own outcomes for better or for worse. That is not a flaw, it is called empowerment.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
typhoon2401

Pro

typhoon2401 forfeited this round.
UltimateSkeptic

Con

Arguments extended..
typhoon2401

Pro

typhoon2401 forfeited this round.
typhoon2401

Pro

typhoon2401 forfeited this round.
UltimateSkeptic

Con

Vote For Pedro
typhoon2401

Pro

typhoon2401 forfeited this round.
UltimateSkeptic

Con

I respectfully ask for a vote for con in this debate.
Posted by iamnotwhoiam 4 years ago
iamnotwhoiam
Of course democracy is flawed. All systems of government have flaws. You can too easily prove your case. If the resolution were "oligarchy is better than democracy", or something like that, I would take the debate.
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
typhoon2401UltimateSkepticTied
Reasons for voting decision: okay con won due to forfeit (so i gave 1 more point) but genuinely pro raised more convincing arguments in my opinion. for example " instead of heeding the warnings, the people opted to punish the Finance Minister and government that tried to tighten the purse strings. The Minister was packed off to an EU job and the government undid all of his work but the problems in the banks and the economy continued to bring about our current recession."
Vote Placed by Bodhivaka 4 years ago
Bodhivaka
typhoon2401UltimateSkepticTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited his rounds, therefore he obviously loses conduct. Con effectively rebutted Pros opening argument, and therefore gets points for best argument. Pro also gets points for sources, seeing as how he was the only one to use any.