The french horn is a the hardest instrument in band to play.

Started: 10/8/2014 Category: Music

I believe that the French Horn is the hardest instrument to play in band. First let us speak of the brass section. The French Horn has the smallest mouthpiece in the brass section.
Second let us speak of woodwinds. Woodwinds do not have to move their lips to tune to the other instruments while the French Horn has to tune to every instrument its part accompanies.(Usually the French Horn is a middle man meaning it plays along with another part). Third let us speak of the percussion. While they do have to play complicated rhythms the French Horn plays complicated rhythms along with going from the lowest to the highest notes for its range of notes. If con can prove that their is a harder instrument to play than the french horn than he/she wins. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Your statement was "The French horn is the hardest instrument in band to play". I, as con am asked to prove why it's not. I don't necessarily have to prove that there is harder instrument. I will get more into the actual debate in after a few rules have been established as you have posted no rules.
Firstly I believe we must cite all sources.
Secondly forfeiture is not allowed unless you have a "really good" excuse to back it up. (Weather it's a good excuse or not will be judged by the other debater)

Now I will get into my debate. I will start on the first round as you have also.

Hard, in this sense means difficult. If I can refer to "hard" as most difficult I believe this will be significantly easier.

Difficult - hard to do, make, or carry out

This is the Merriam Webster"s definition on difficult. When something is the most difficult it is the most hard to do, make, or carry out. However this is for a singular being. If I was to start my musical career with the French horn and got used to having a small mouthpiece, tuning and playing both high and low notes I may find another instrument quite difficult.

Furthermore I have come to know that certain instruments have certain embouchures (the position your mouth makes when playing an instrument). I personally play the clarinet with a certain embouchure. However earlier in the year I have tried playing a flute and it was quite difficult for me. But to a flute player it was quite an easy experience. This was because of the embouchure.

These are the reasons why I believe that the French horn is not the hardest instrument to play.

not feeling it today round forfeited

My points are still valid.

It is scientifically proven somewhere on this Earth that the french horn is the hardest to learn and play. I could learn to play a flute in half the time it would take to learn to play a french horn. If you actually tried to play the french horn it would take you about a year of practicing every day to reach a high school level. The clarinet or flute or any of the other instruments can be learned to play relatively easier than the french horn. That is my debate.

Your debate title stated "The French horn is the hardest instrument in band to play". You have given me no proof that this is so, save yourself saying you could learn to play flute in half the time. All that proves is that YOU can learn the flute faster than YOU can learn the French horn.

You also didn't specify at what time the French horn would be the hardest instrument to play. It could be at any given time. Therefore if one was to be a master at the French horn then they would not believe the French horn is the hardest instrument to play.

Finally my embouchure point is still quite valid. Certain embouchures are easier to replicate than others. For example a flute embouchure is quite different than a clarinet embouchure. However a tuba embouchure isn't much different than a French horn embouchure.

Your statement can not be correct as you have a lack of information and your point is quite broad.

Thank you for the interesting debate and may the best debater win.
Posted by Feroste 2 years ago
Flute is the hardest, We have NO mouthpiece and do have to tune by changing embouchure. Also, we have many more keys and many of our notes require several fingers to move (compared to just going down the instrument or 1 finger) and specifically our footpiece is for advanced play only being hard to reach and used to play insanely high notes that take A LOT of breath while also keeping embouchure tight enough that it sounds good.

Flute, hard to learn, nigh impossible to master.
Posted by sethlacrow 2 years ago
I am the instigator I make the rules and I never have any sooooooo stop wasting your life on a computer looking up the definition of words. I get on this for about five min a day so I lost have a nice day.
Posted by sherlockholmesfan2798 2 years ago
@Pellerin My points however are still valid.
Posted by Pellerin12 2 years ago
I am an actual F horn player and it is ONE of the hardests not the hardest. Woodwind has many more keys
Than f h and you use more air at different rates. I'm with con
Vote Placed by Zanomi3 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling, along with conduct, were both equal. Sources to Con because he used sources. Arguments to Con because Pro failed to present any strong arguments, as well as refutations from Con.