Lulzy
asianpersuasion123

The future presented in Fallout 3 is possible.

Started: 6/8/2015 Category: Games

Lulzy

Pro

I made this debate for a few reasons.

1. I recently got into the Fallout universe itself, and not just the universe presented in Fallout: Equestria. (Though the universes are roughly the same, save for the fact that many objects in Fallout: Equestria are the ponified versions of themselves.)

2. I want a debate that will hopefully end with me knowing more about the Fallout Universe, whether or not I lose this debate is an issue to me, I just want to learn.

3. Most of my past debates have been done about topics that I would know quite a lot about and that my opponent would not. Since Fallout is a much more played and dissected game, I figure that SOMEBODY out there would be able to do this debate.

Rules:

1. This debate is primarialy about Fallout 3, please don't use other Fallout games as a basis for a new argument. (You can use a previous Fallout game as support for your argument, however.)

2. I will provide the terms in R2, as R1 is ONLY for acceptance, if you begin to make your points on R1, You will forfeit ALL POSSIBLE POINTS.

3. No immature name calling, please. I can't beleive I have to make this rule, but it's here. If you suddenly revert to insults and whining, you forfeit. Period. This is meant to be a fun debate about a game. Don't complain about your source being invalid. (Feel free to argue that it IS valid though.)

4. Please don't start the debate asking me for the definiton of "An Ebuna Seed" or something off topic. If you do that, again, you forfeit.

5. Have fun, like I said before, it's a video game debate, don't be salty.
asianpersuasion123

Con

I like the fallout series, cant wait for fallout 4 :D
Lulzy

Pro

I thank Con for his acceptance of this debate, and hope that it's fun for the both of us. I'm also excited for Fallout 4. (The sky's actually gunna be blue!)

Preface:

First, I will explain Fallout 3's universe to anybody watching this Debate so that they may understand what future we are debating about. Fallout 3 is a roleplaying, first-person/third-person shooter that takes place near Washington D.C., which is essentially the current capital of America where the President of the United States lives. This is evident by the fact that there are some clear landmarks, such as the White House. The game itself takes place in the year 2277, putting it 200 years after a nuclear war that destroyed much of life in the United States alone. The game features about what you might expect from a nuclear detonation in any populated area. Destroyed buildings that are nothing but remains, scattered trees with no leaves, no sky above, save for the clouds that constantly hover overhead, and your groups of people who are totally insane, oh, and don't forget the radiation and that's floating around in some areas, that's vital.

It became this way due to a Chinese invasion that came through Alaska, through Canada, and into the United States, and eventually ended in to aforementioned nuclear doomsday.

One company in particular, named Vault-Tec, is personally responsible for the saving of many people from the destruction of the bombs by building underground fallout shelters called "Vaults." These vaults came equipped with the ability to sustain life indefinitely, although some Vaults were not given this, as there were parts of experiments that bordered lunacy, like choosing between sacrificing one vault member per year or all of them dying. These vaults have their own rules and jobs, as if they were a community living in an above ground. However, one massive flaw in this plan is that eventually, everybody will be related in some way, shape, or form, and it could cause multiple problems for reproduction. Now that I think I've given a good background, let's begin.

Argument 1: The likelihood of a nuclear attack by China is probable.

As I have said that the future presented in Fallout 3 is possible, I'm going to make this argument before Con can use it against me. Yes, the likelihood of a nuclear attack by China is unlikely, especially when one considers M.A.D, which stands for "Mutually Assured Destruction" which is the term used when referring to the idea that if a country launches a nuclear projectile, another country will respond in kind, resulting in nuclear devastation. However, as I only need to prove the possibility, I will do so now.

Recent events between America and Russia regarding Ukraine have caused the straining of tensions over Ukraine's freedom to join the EU, should it choose to do so. The issue for Russia with this is the fact that Ukraine is in possession of Crimea, a small area of land that connects to a fresh water ocean. Russia wants this area for it's purpose of having a fresh water port. This relates to a possible U.S./China conflict due to the fact that China backs Russia in this decsicion and is against America in it. If tensions escalated, it is entirely plausible that the Chinese would have reason to invade and attack.

Argument 2: The Wasteland presented in Fallout 3 is an accurate idea as to what the wasteland would look like.

If you hear the words, "Nuclear Fallout", what will first come to your mind? Zombies? Destruction? Both? In Fallout 3, once the player escapes the Vault he or she resides in, the player will explore the Wasteland and find remembrances of the past, as well as groups and factions of people and mutants who share the same causes or have totally different causes. For example, you have the slavers, who are people who search for Wasteland wanderers and kidnap them and sell them into a life of slavery. If you look at human nature and a humans desire to survive at the cost of others lives, it's easy to see how a person in a post apocalyptic wasteland could turn into a slaver, and if enough people see profit in the slaving business, it could form it's own group. Another group is called the Raiders, these are people who have likely been driven mad by the harshness of the wasteland, and have resorted to become heartless, cold blood killers would are likely to even EAT their victims, given the fact that most other foods are irradiated.

There is also the existence of the faction know as the "Brotherhood of Steel" which is a group that has essentially hoarded all of the technology and claimed it as their own. Again, if you consider Human Nature and Man's will to sacrifice others to survive, this really shouldn't surprise anybody.

Argument 3: The Cloudy sky is EXTREMELY possible.

Atomic Winters. [1] An atomic winter, also known as a nuclear winter. When an atomic bombs detonates, it leaves behind fires that can destroy an area around it. Now, add that fire to a wooded area, or even just fire in general, and you have soot, which will blow in the wind and create, essentially, clouds. This huge mass of soot in the sky will block out the suns light and cause temperatures to drop dramatically, resulting in a "Nuclear Winter."

1 - http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...
asianpersuasion123

Con

asianpersuasion123 forfeited this round.
Lulzy

Pro

Ugh...I'm going to say this again, I'm honestly tired of all of these people who accept my debates and then give up without even saying "Pass" or anything. It's a main reason I don't use this site anymore is because people either just accept a debate with no intent to finish, accept to troll, or accept, see a wall of text, and then give up. And yes, I know what you might say, "Oh, Lulzy, quit whining, you're making debates in the "Games" section." To that, I say, "So?" I'm in the Games section making debates and making long responses to them, so there has to be people out there who will feel as strongly about some of this.

Anyway, enough of my my ranting, I'll get back to my debate.

-ahem-

Argument One: Mutations

Through the general gameplay of Fallout 3, the player will encounter characters that, without a doubt, are not human. These creatures can range from anything from robots, to super mutants, to Fire Ants that ACTUALLY breathe fire. You're also likely to come across things like Rad-Roaches, Rad-Scorpions, and the wasp creature whose name I cannot remember. All of these creatures are the result of mutations caused by the massive amount of radioactivity in the areas that they inhabit. In most cases, nothing very surprising happens with mutations, minus the fact that the mutated specimen is significantly larger than it's not nuclear counterpart. For example, I as a human am 5'11". If you stood a Radroach up in game next to me as my real high, the Radroach could easily be about as high as my neck area, whereas the Radscorpion would be even larger. My aim is to prove that mutations in general are possible, not these mutations in particular, so here goes.

If you go back to the Chernobyl incident in Ukraine, you can take a look at the area surrounding the ex-nuclear facility now and see that animals have returned, and apparently, so have some people. However, it wasn't always so nice to return. In fact, during one point soon after the reactor meltdown, there were pictures taken of animals mutated, such as a dog that appears to have changed physically to the point where there is a body, but only the back legs seem to show.

Whether you as a judge choose to argue the validity of the picture mentioned, which can be found here: [1], the fact stands that this is possible, and can happen in Fallout 3, especially if you consider the fact that, according the scientists, the meltdown of Chernobyl is equal to the power of 20 Hiroshima bombs, what would happen if that number was increased to a number high enough to decimate the entirety of the United States, and make it an uninhabitable Wasteland.

Ending: Since I typed this in a hurry before boarding a plane, I unfortunately cannot give anymore arguments right now. I give it back to Con in hopes that they reply.

1 - http://www.sickchirpse.com...
asianpersuasion123

Con

Lulzy

Pro

My opponent has forfeited his previous round. As they have forfeited the previous rounds, they have no reason to win now. For these reasons, and all of these reasons given in my previous rounds, I ask that the judges please vote Pro.
asianpersuasion123

Con