believer_720
sonofzapp

The game Bioshock, along with others, would make a great film or novel.

believer_720

Pro

This isn't a very serious debate. It's only one round because I won't be able to respond to any other rounds.

Gamers are virtually the only people who realize the sheer entertainment value in the narrative of many video games alone. The reason the give video games a storyline, is so the game is more memorable, and the story sticks with them. For a lot of games, the story is the most memorable part of a game after it's played.

Now, as you might or might not know, the new Metal Gear game, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is very much based on it's story, as it is the last game in the series. Now, this has sparked a debate that frankly, I'm glad is finally happening. They're debating whether the stories of games can be as entertaining as a film or novel. And, there shouldn't be a debate to this, but yes, they do have that entertainment value. If you don't think so, you probably don't play many video games, or you haven't played the right games, the games which have a story that leaves you thinking long after you're done playing it. Much like good movies and novels.

Now, Bioshock is a great game in this sense. Here is the Wikia about it. http://bioshock.wikia.com......
Everything is in first person, and it takes place in the 1950's. As it starts, your character is looking around the cabin of an airplane, looking at a letter in front of him, and the gun that came with it. Suddenly, the screen shakes, and in a flash of chaos, you find yourself in the ocean, flaming debris all around you. You swim to the nearest structure in sight; a large pillar-like structure that resembles a lighthouse. You take the stairs that lead from the water to the structure up and into the building. Inside are statues and quotes engraved in stone, a magnificent sight to behold. There is a strange sphere floating in water in the center of the room. You get in, it locks, and it begins to descend like a submarine. As you go down, you see signs that let your character know how many fathoms he's descended. A screen moves in front of the window, and a man that introduces himself as Andrew Ryan begins to speak, using the pictures on the screen to help with the presentation. He introduces himself as the creator of a great city, and how it is different and essentially better than an average city. The screen moves up, but the voice continues. You see your vehicle, known as a Bathysphere, approaching on what looks like a city underwater. It looks like modern skyscrapers and neon signs submerged underwater. Andrew Ryan's voice introduces the city as Rapture, his creation where "the artist would not fear the censor. Where the great would not be constrained by the small."
And if this seemed like a lot, or a little, there is a much more intense history behind this city.

http://youtube.com......
That is the official trailer of the game. This will give you a good idea of what the city looks like, as well as what has frequently happened within the city.

I'll give you keywords to search in the Wikia I posted before, so you can learn about the specifics.

Girl hiding in the pipe - Search 'Little Sister'
Large being protecting the Little Sister - Search 'Big Daddy'
Substance main character injects into his arm - Search 'Plasmid'/'Plasmids'
Other important search term - Search 'ADAM'/'EVE'

That concludes the first and last part of my side of the argument. To summarize, video games are an untapped source of amazing ideas that could, given the copyright info could be worked out, be translated to some of the most popular movies/novels of our time. And Bioshock, is an excellent example of this.
sonofzapp

Con

believer I do agree with you to a certian extent. A good videogame plot like GOD of War, Bioshock, or Metal Gear could [note the word could] make a relatively decent movie, but then again it could be an utter disappoitment.

Now Bioshock is a kik *ss game but the problem with you choosing this game as an example is that the game is too openended to be a movie. Games like this and KotOR have more then one ending, and being a person who loves video games, it would really suck to have the movie producers chop the game down and confine it to one biased ending. That would really cause great controversy [did I spell that right] amoungst the viewers, who would most likely be gamers, becuase half of the audiance would prefer one ending while the other half would prefer another. Even if the people who made the movie created a completely alternate ending seperate from the game it would still leave many viewers very dissapointed.

On another note I'd like to adress previous movies based off videogames. Now can anyone honestly tell me a good movie based off a videogame? I doubt it. The only one I can think of is Mortal Kombat, and that was made years ago.
Go to wikipedia and look up "List of films based on video games", then look down that list and honestly ask yourself if more then five of those twenty-six American videogame based movies, are actually any good. . . No its ok, I'll wait. . . Are you done? Good, then how many are there. . . LESS THEN THREE! WOW I'M SHOCKED! [not]

Movies like DOOM, TombRaider, and Resident Evil were straight up garbage. Its amazing to think how someone could take a great game like DOOM, or BloodRayne, or Reisdent Evil and end up with crap like that. It should be illegal to f*ck up the name of a perfectly good videogame like that, but it isn't and as a result videogames are doomed to suffer like this. If I didn't know better, I'd say videogames are cursed to never become good movies, and it isn't always to fault of the videogame either. Plots like Resident Evil, FinalFantasy, and BloodRayne shoud have been great movies, but they werent, and its a shame.

Like I said earlier, its not alway the fault of the videogame, cause with games like Assasains Creed, and God of War2, its hard to imagine them becoming bad movies, but in most cases they are. Most vg's that become movies are crap because the producers strive to make the movie more then the game was by giving it a plot that has nothing to do with the game, or trying to extend its boundaries beyond what the game should be restricted to, and then they leave too many unanswered questions. Resident Evil is the perfect example of this. Other times the producers make the plot too simple, and you end up with half of these stupid Pokemon movies. Most often though the producers dont know what the hell theyre doing. I thnk half the movies on this list are proof of that statement. [most notably DOOM and Tomb Raider]

Like I said earlier, don't get me wrong, I LOVE videogames! I've been playing videogames since before I learned how to read or write, [probably why I have carpul tunnel syndrome] so I know a good game when I see one. I completely understand you when your amazed by a videogame, and cant stop thinking about the plot even after youve beaten it. Games like Assasains Creed, Fable:TLC , Half Life, BioShock, and Jade Empire are perfect examples. Games like these could make AWSOME MOVIES! And I don't say the word awsome unless I mean it. But dude I live in the real world, and the real world has proven time, and time again that videogames just don't turn out to be great movies. Novels, yes, films no. If you voters live in the real world too, then youll vote con.

[this was a good debate, I enjoyed it, and I would also enjoy a good movie based on a vg, but I know the chances of that are slim to none]

P.S. PS3 ROCKS! X-BOX 360 is oaky. Wii, no comment.
Posted by MVBuffaloAthlete 8 years ago
MVBuffaloAthlete
Both sides make a good argument but i have to dissagree with the opposing side. I'll admit that there has been some real dooseys in the past but not as many as they say. Blood Rayn was a bit of a doosey but it was still entertaining. The Tomb Raiders are good movies with might i add one of the best looking lead actors there is. Also the Resident Evil movies rocked. They were well made and were put together rather well. They are probably the best videogame based movies there is.

Now Bioshock and KOTOR would be bad games to make movies out of because of the diffrent endings, but i don't think movie makers would be dumb enough to make movie out of them.
Posted by lillunchboxbandit 8 years ago
lillunchboxbandit
What about the Mortal Kombat movie?
It was the only sucsessful Video Game movie!
Posted by sonofzapp 8 years ago
sonofzapp
oh screw u! PS3 ROCKS!!! It just needs more good games like God of War 3, and Meatal Gear to bring out it's potiential. In fact we should start a debate on that topic. :P
Posted by believer_720 8 years ago
believer_720
Oh wait, I just saw the PS in your argument.
I only have a Wii, but
X-Box 360 rocks!
Wii rocks!
PS3, no comment.
=P
Posted by believer_720 8 years ago
believer_720
Don't worry about it, I didn't specify any point of view I wanted you to debate from
Posted by sonofzapp 8 years ago
sonofzapp
yeah I get ya, but u and i are gamers, so i thought i was suppose to debate from a gamers pov.
Posted by believer_720 8 years ago
believer_720
I should have made this more than one round.

I think you're right, in most cases. The way it's worked before seems to go against my idea. But that's just it. The problem is, the good directors and producers don't realize the potential of video games of movie. As a result, the terrible directors pick up on it and try to make a name for themselves. All you need to do is look up Uwe Boll, and my point is proven.

But I think they're going into the wrong kinds of games. Mario Bros barely has a plot, so I can understand why that movie crashed and burned. It's almost like giving Pacman a movie. I don't think the Pokemon movies are necessarily based off of the games, I think the anime more than anything.

And, although the movies tend to drift from the games as far as the plot goes, they're still pretty entertaining. I'll just use myself as an example. I've never played any Hitman games, or Resident Evil games before I saw the movies. And I thought the movies were great. I think they would be interesting to the general public more than gamers.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Oddly enough I can't think of a single novel based on a videogame that's ever been worthwhile. Indeed it would seem to contradict the word "novel," which means, at root, "something new."
Posted by tyger2057 8 years ago
tyger2057
I would of picked it up but it wasn't dealing with an exact plot.
There are 2 endings
The length for a movie would be long.
I don't think it was meant to be a movie.
Posted by austinrsell 8 years ago
austinrsell
I had to vote PRO cuz the resolution says novels OR movies and the CON concedes that novels would be good.
Vote Placed by DSanteramo 7 years ago
DSanteramo
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by mjoveny 8 years ago
mjoveny
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by believer_720 8 years ago
believer_720
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by righteous-reply 8 years ago
righteous-reply
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by apathy77 8 years ago
apathy77
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by ecstatica 8 years ago
ecstatica
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by tyger2057 8 years ago
tyger2057
believer_720sonofzappTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
believer_720sonofzappTied