Yanks4eva
6Logan6

The giants got the better of the Eli Manning Phillip Rivers trade

Started: 1/20/2014 Category: Sports

Yanks4eva

Pro

In the 2004 nfl draft the San Diego chargers selected Eli manning with the first round pick and traded him to the giants for quarterback Phillip rivers the New York giants received a better deal then the chargers
6Logan6

Con

In the 2004 NFL Draft the NY Giants did not get a better deal than the chargers, for a few key reasons.
1. Eli Manning is not a better QB than Philip Rivers.
2. While the Giants received nothing but Eli Manning, the Chargers also received Nate Kaeding.
3. While the Giants received nothing but Eli Manning, the Chargers also received Shawn Merriman.

Good Luck.
Yanks4eva

Pro

Yanks4eva forfeited this round.
6Logan6

Con

The resolution states that "the Giants got the better of the "Eli Manning Philip Rivers trade", which specifically refers the two players themselves. I will now solely compare these two players, and address other factors later in the argument.

In Eli Manning's career, he has made 3 Pro Bowl teams and has a quarterback rating of 81.2. In Philip River's career, he has made 5 Pro Bowl teams and holds a quarterback rating of 96.0. The stats do not stop there. Philip Rivers has a pass completion percentage of 64.4, while Manning's is only 58.5. Rivers has thrown 104 career interceptions, and Manning 171. Though Manning does have 8 more career touchdowns and roughly 3,000 more yards, Manning has played in 21 more games than Rivers, more than a full season, and given River's season averages, Rivers would surely make up the deficits.

Rivers has a current salary of $10.2 million, while Manning has a pricier salary of $13 million.

In the trade, the Chargers also acquired Nate Kaeding, a kicker with a field goal percentage of 86.2, and also a 2x Pro Bowler.
They also acquired Shawne Merriman, who had 45.5 sacks in his career (the majority with the Chargers) and was a 3x Pro Bowler.

I believe that in my argument all I must do to win the debate is prove Rivers is a better quarterback than Manning, which I have done. To add to my argument, I have provided to extra examples of how the Chargers got the better of the 2004 draft trade featuring Philip Rivers and Eli Manning.
Yanks4eva

Pro

Eli manning has two Super Bowls and that is the ultimate stat for a qb how many Super Bowls but not even that he did something Phillip Rivers and the Chargers did beat the unbeaten patriots
6Logan6

Con

6Logan6 forfeited this round.