arthurjeremypearson
Benshapiro

The gift of heaven is free

Benshapiro

arthurjeremypearson

Con

There are no free gifts, and a Christian who believes in heaven and hell AND insists heaven is free is ignoring this rule of thumb.

The simple cost of Heaven is hell.

By accepting heaven for you (selfishly) you also accept hell for others (wrathfully.) This is a price to pay: your morality.

If you insist that there is nothing but joy for you in heaven, then you are paying with your empathy. By feeling joy AND knowing others are being tortured, you have cut yourself off from a state of being that helps us be HUMAN: empathy. This is a price you pay: your empathy.

Hell is a slander against God. It is an accusation that God has NOTHING more to his argument for "why we should be good people" than a LOADED GUN: hell. It accuses God of being a thug at the end of his rope, afraid and angry. If God is real and God is good, accepting hell is slander against the real God. It is a falsehood you accept. This is a price you pay: falsely accusing God of the sin of wrath.
Benshapiro

Pro

Con begins by making a claim that Heaven is not a free gift.

(1) as the person making the claim, you have the burden of proof to show that Heaven is a plausibly real place.

(2) even if you could show the above claim to be true, you must show that going to heaven means that others must go to hell.
arthurjeremypearson

Con

Maybe I suck at debate in general, but I don't think I made a claim. The question is making a claim: that the gift of heaven is free. I'm the "con." Stating my position is not making a claim.

1) Next time I'll be looking for someone who's a Christian who believes God is good rather than a fellow atheist who doubts the existence of heaven. For now, I'd be happy to concede. I don't have much interest in debating a fellow atheist. Perpetuating the debate under that pretense is not helping anyone.

Any "argument" brought up by either side can be claimed to be a straw man, and consequently unconvincing to anyone.

2) again, part of the inital question. It's my first debate on debate.org

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Benshapiro

Pro

The claim is "the gift of Heaven is free" in which you are arguing that it is not.

I could claim that there are no purple frogs on Saturn. I would carry the burden of proof to argue this even though it's a negative claim.

You're not wasting anyone's time. I'd like to continue.

What stipulation in going to heaven requires that others must go to hell?
arthurjeremypearson

Con

arthurjeremypearson forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

I'll wait to see if my opponent returns
arthurjeremypearson

Con

arthurjeremypearson

Con

Benshapiro

Pro

Benshapiro forfeited this round.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
believing god is false is free
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
arthurjeremypearsonBenshapiroTied