Sonofkong
Xparkz

The glass is half empty

Sonofkong

Pro

I am proposing that a cylindrical cup of reasonable proprtions when filled 50% to the top with H2O, is officially known as half empty. I will leave it to my opponent whoever they are, to start out the semantics and I will retort.
Xparkz

Con

Well i will begin with the classic " I thank my opponent for this debate" to this quite unique debate.

So what is the proposition before the gallery today? Pro believes that the glass is half empty. The majourity of people have heard this term; "the glass is half empty" or "the glass is half full". And most people believe these 2 views to be one of a pessimistic mind and a optimistic mind respectively. To avoid possible profiling i will ignore the possibility of my opponent in being a pessimistic person. And will instead talk about what he has proposed in his first argument.

Since Pro has stated that a cup was filled 50% to the top, but not poured 50%, should mean it is full. Let me elaborate. If one were to fill a cup 50% the cup should be half full. But if one were to pour 50% out of a full cup ( 100% ) then it should be half empty. Pro has stated that the cup was to be filled with water. And so in this case the cup is half full.

I await Pro's response to this intriguing debate.
Sonofkong

Pro

Thank you for accepting con, and I will note that I am in fact a raging cynic. Just to let you know.

LET THE SEMANTICS COMMENCE!

//Since Pro has stated that a cup was filled 50% to the top, but not poured 50% full. Let me elaborate. If one were to fill a cup 50% the cup should be half full. But if one were to pour 50% out of a full cup then it should be half empty.//

I will retort with fun facts
*All full glasses are filled at some point.
* the definition of filled is
"filled
1. Simple past tense and past particle for fill
http://en.wiktionary.org...;
*The definition for fill is
"fill
To add contents to a container... so that it is full"
* So fill means something that was once filled and most if not all 50% liquid cups were once filled.
* My opponent is correct when he says a cup in the process of filling is 50% full, while a cup being poured is 50% empty.
I did some household experiments and found this
*The most common way people empty cups of water is into there mouths in a motion called drinking.
*Drinking almost indistputably takes a longer time to be poured into mouths than filled, as we human are not fish and take breaks in between gulps.
*No one specified that a cup must be in a neutral position so if I was drinking a 100% filled cup,and at the exact 50% hell froze over, did I mention I'm in hell, than the cup would be half empty.
This is how I conclude the cup is half empty.

That and metaphorically you will die alone.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAhAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Xparkz

Con

Okkkaayyy, it seams Pro is taking it a "tad" bit to far. But that is okay. " Mwahahahahahahahahahhaah.......etc"

Pro here has defined the words filled, and fill. Which he hasn't exactly referred back to in his argument. Okay so since his argument was quite short mine will be no longer than Pro's was. But there is one major flaw in his argument. As i have stated in my first argument i said if the cup were to be filled 50% it was full, but if it was from 100% and drank from till 50% then it was half empty. And here my opponent agrees with me with his "household experiments". "*No one specified that a cup must be in a neutral position so if I was drinking a 100% filled cup,and at the exact 50% hell froze over, did I mention I'm in hell, than the cup would be half empty.
This is how I conclude the cup is half empty."

And since Pro had stated "when filled 50% to the top with H2O," and had agreed with me on the terms that when filled to 50% it is full. He has just self negated his own argument. Refer back to their experiment once more.

That, and i will not metaphorically die alone.
Sonofkong

Pro

First I will mention that filled meant filled at any point in time whether it be in that instance or 4 years ago.
On the cup's position let's just assume the cup was created with the water in it.
Regardless of what happens to it, whether it be drank or filled, drinking virtually almost always takes longer. As it is used numerous times than it will spend a longer amount of time being drank or emptied. That is my argument.
Xparkz

Con

Okay, thank you Pro for this debate.

So during this debate Pro uses the word "filled" very often, he also maintains the fact that at some point in time the cup was filled. His second remark in his last argument now says that the cup was created with water already in it. And thus contradicting his previous statement.
Pro also goes on saying that time plays an important issue, outruling the many possibilites of filling the cup slowly. But the one thing he forgets is that when somebody fills a cup from 0%-50% they are not required to "empty" the cup and thus his time point does not stand.
Not only has Pro failed to explain his argument he decides to re-enforce his weak points and even agree to mine. "* My opponent is correct when he says a cup in the process of filling is 50% full, while a cup being poured is 50% empty."
And for those reasons the glass is half full.
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
Xparkz, I will vote for you. Do not vote for yourself.
Posted by Xparkz 6 years ago
Xparkz
wow sonofkong, that is incredibly low. Just because you have lost this debate and you know it you decide to vote for yourself? Not only does that show a lack of respect for debating but also a lack of respect for yourself.
Posted by Alex 6 years ago
Alex
When something has "halves" it is possible to be two different things at the same time. Half the glass is full of water (the bottom half) and half the glass is empty (top half) because the resolution is only "the glass is half empty" then that is true because the top half is empty despite the bottom half being full so resolution affirmed, but then again the bottom half is full, soo resolution negated. Actually, i'd just consider it a tie.
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
SonofkongXparkzTied
Vote Placed by Sonofkong 6 years ago
Sonofkong
SonofkongXparkzTied
Vote Placed by SukiWater 6 years ago
SukiWater
SonofkongXparkzTied
Vote Placed by kehustler14 6 years ago
kehustler14
SonofkongXparkzTied
Vote Placed by Shestakov 6 years ago
Shestakov
SonofkongXparkzTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
SonofkongXparkzTied