The glass is half full

Hi, this is my first debate here on DDO so please excuse any informalities or confusions I may have.

Burden of Proof
PRO will argue that when a glass is filled with water (or another type of liquid) to 50% occupancy, the glass is always half full.
CON will argue that when a glass is filled with water (or another type of liquid) to 50% occupancy, the glass is either always half empty, that it is both, or that it is subjective.

Debate Structure
Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Arguments
Round 3 - Rebuttals
Round 4 - Conclusions

Full - When the volume of the liquid in the glass is equal to the total volume of the glass. In other words, full can be represented as a whole, or in fractional terms, 1.
Empty - When there is no liquid in the glass at all, or in fractional terms, 0.

By accepting this debate, you agree to adhere to the aforementioned Burden of Proof, Debate Structure, and Definitions.

Thank you in advance to whomever accepts this debate and the best of luck to them. Looking forward to a fun, clean debate!

Thank you, Pro, for debating this age-old philosophical question with me.

I accept all the definitions and terms for this debate.

Seeing as how this round is solely for acceptance, I will allow my opponent to vocalize the first argument. I look forward to the upcoming rounds.

I would like to thank Con for accepting my debate, and again, I wish my opponent luck.

My stance (that the glass is always half full) is based on mathematical arguments.

Argument 1 - Why the glass is half full

Since it was agreed that "full" can be represented as a whole -- or in fractional terms, 1 -- I will use this term in my mathematics.

Looking at the term "half full", this can be equated in mathematics as "one-half of 1" or 1/2 x 1.

1/2 x 1 = 1/2

As 1/2 is 50% of the original number (which was 1), this means the glass has a 50% occupancy, supporting my Pro standpoint.

Argument 2 - Why the glass is not half empty

It was also agreed that "empty" would be represented as a 0 in mathematical terms.

Now, looking at "half empty", this can be equated in mathematics as "one-half of 0" or 1/2 x 0.

1/2 x 0 = 0

Since 0 can be any percentile of the original number (which was also 0), this means that "half empty" does not support Con's standpoint of the glass having 50% occupancy.

Thank you, Pro, for your response. As was previously agreed upon, I will save my rebuttals for the next round and reserve this one solely for presenting my own arguments.

When observing the existence (or non-existence) of something, it is always a matter of fact, and not open for subjective interpretation. Something either exists, or it doesn't. In this case, the thing that exists is water. It exists enough to fill a glass to fifty percent of its occupancy. But it also doesn't exist for the other fifty percent. Water, in this observation, both exists and doesn't exist equally. Therefore, I contend that the glass is both half-full AND half-empty.

If the glass was full, you would not say it was empty. If the glass was empty, you would not say it was full. But if it was almost full, you would say it was a little empty. And if it was almost empty, you would say it was a little full. But when the liquid exists perfectly in the middle, it is both half-full and half-empty.

I look forward to your response.

My opponent's argument is that when observing a glass filled with water to 50% occupancy, the thing we are observing that exists is water. Therefore, when looking at the terms "half full" and "half empty", you are referring to the glass being either half full or half empty of water. I bring up my mathematical argument as my rebuttal, for it is sufficient enough evidence to work for both needs. If the glass was "half full" (1/2 x 1 = 1/2), the glass WOULD be at 50% of its original occupancy. However, in contradiction to my opponent's argument, half empty (1/2 x 0 = 0) does NOT come to 50% of the original occupancy. The answer lies in the mathematical calculations of the terms themselves, and based on this math
(which is one of the fundamental concepts of the universe), my opponent's argument is proved untrue.

I look forward to opponent's rebuttal as we advance into the fourth and final round of this debate.

DakotaKrafick forfeited this round.

Given that my opponent has forfeited round 3, I will continue to my conclusion.

My argument not only mathematically supports the resolution that the glass is always half full, but also successfully rebuts my opponent’s argument. Due to the fact that my opponent has failed to rebut my argument, I have strong mathematical evidence that supports my standpoint in this debate, whilst my opponent’s argument has been refuted. As such, I urge a Pro vote.

I again thank my opponent for a fun, clean, enjoyable debate, and I wish him the best of luck we move into the voting stage of this debate.

DakotaKrafick forfeited this round.
Posted by MikeyMike 4 years ago
I'm very upset nobody voted on this..

And also upset that Con forfeited.

Pro: Ur mathematical argument was brilliant and unexpected, nicely done.
Posted by endless47 5 years ago
Although I would like to keep the arguments as simple as possible, it is up to the contender as to what he argues. And I do apologize, the contender WILL be allowed to argue that both statements are true.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Can Con argue that both statements are true? Or can we take a scientific semantics arguments (that the atoms that make up the liquid are +99% empty space).