Francisco_DAnconia
wrichcirw

The global economy no longer needs or benefits from Central Banks

wrichcirw
Started: 7/4/2014 Category: Economics

Francisco_DAnconia

Pro

Central banks around the world have taken unprecedented actions since the Financial Crisis in 2008. Ostensibly, these actions were necessary to prevent economic calamity and to preserve overall wellbeing. In the six years since the Financial Crisis, central banks around the world have continued to pursue, by historical standards, extraordinarily accommodative monetary policy in order to restore national economies to more robust growth, consistent inflation and full employment.

Pro puts forward that the actions of these central banks have had an overall negative effect on the global economy and that, given the vast improvements in global communications over the past 25 years, the primary function of the central banks as global clearing houses and lenders of last resort are no longer necessary or beneficial to the global economy.
wrichcirw

Con

I thank my opponent for posting a pertinent, intelligent, and significant economic issue for debate, as the economics section of this website has been experiencing a pronounced dearth of activity.

Although I would personally rather this debate be a "no scoring" debate, I will leave it up to my opponent to make that determination.

Finally, I will note that rounds are only 2,000 characters long, so arguments will be decidedly short, brief, and more than likely unsourced to adhere to such a spartan character limit.

Opening

My argument is very, very simple - the Fed and other central banks exist to deal with market failures - that's exactly what the Fed has been doing since 2008 - correcting for a market failure in the mortgage industry by buying up massive amounts of mortgage-backed-securities (MBSs) to prevent a market collapse.

My opponent's argument would seem to imply that such market failures no longer exist "given the vast improvements in global communications over the past 25 years." The collapse in housing and the potentially astronomical losses associated with deriviatives contracts linked to housing has proven that market failures still exist despite massive improvements in communications, meaning that the Fed still has a role to play. Human nature is what it is, and "animal spirits" will surface.
Francisco_DAnconia

Pro

Francisco_DAnconia forfeited this round.
wrichcirw

Con

My opponent has forfeited without addressing my rebuttal. Extend.
Francisco_DAnconia

Pro

wrichcirw

Con

And so this "debate" ends. Vote CON.
Posted by wrichcirw 2 years ago
wrichcirw
Fair enough, and good luck.
Posted by Francisco_DAnconia 2 years ago
Francisco_DAnconia
Thanks for accepting MacArthur. I am going to keep it a voted debate just to get feedback, but I will be viewing it more as a prodding discussion (hence the character limit).
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Francisco_DAnconiawrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Francisco_DAnconiawrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Francisco_DAnconiawrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: The rebuttals went unrefuted, therefore it's impossible for Pro to fullfill his BOP. Likewise, some of his points were affirmed, but affirmed points have lower weight compared to dropped points in these circumstances, but since Con wants a no scoring debate, I'll only vote conduct, so if Pro decides to come back, someone can tie it up.