skepticseeker
differentveiw

The god of the Bible is clearly misogynistic.

skepticseeker

Pro

The Bible depicts God as thinking less of women by depicting them as inferior to men. God seem to despise women and their treatment in Bible has contributed to their historically inequitable treatment in western culture.
differentveiw

Con

With all do respect, I disagree. Indeed, the bible does depict god as being a misogynist, though this does not mean that he was. Instead, those who documented the bible over the years inserted messages of misogyny and wrote him in such light. The bible is not at all the reason for misogyny and patriarchal attitudes in our modern society, as even before the bible we can see examples of a male dominated society. It is that which allowed this tinting of god's character, and not the other way around.
skepticseeker

Pro

I first want to point out that this is my first time using this website and I accidentally used what I intended as a more detailed description as my opening argument, so my apologies.

In response to your first rebuttal I feel compelled to point out that you did not rebut my argument at all but agreed with it. You said, "the bible does depict god as being a misogynist." You then say that the Bible has been tampered with and changed through the years. The issue of rather or not the books of the Bible has been changed is not under consideration in this debate, but I do concede that they agree they have. Also, the topic is not if we personally think god is a misogynist. The proposition I am supporting clearly states that the "god of the Bible" is ascribed this characteristic. To show that the Bible clearly ascribes this characteristic to god and by extension his followers consider the following biblical principles.
1.The bible treats the normal biological functions of women as being inherently unclean (cf. Lev. 12:2-3; 15:9-33).
2.The bible says that women should subject themselves to men (I Tim. 2:11-14; Eph. 5:22-24; I Pet. 3:1-6).
3.The bible even uses women to be symbolic of evil (Zech. 5:5-11; Rev. 17).

I want to also point out that I did not claim that all misogyny in western culture is the fault of the bible. I said that it had "contributed" to it. This means that it is only one part of the cause of this misogyny. I don"t know how much of the part it is, but I do contend that it is a part that needs to be addressed. The Bible has given misogynist the supposed moral authority to keep women subservient for millennium. When any one questions the legitimacy of our patriarchal system we need only point to the Bible and say that"s the way God wants it. If indeed there is a god (a proposition I reject), then we have to question his moral authority when he so clearly promotes sexual inequality.
differentveiw

Con

I am at fault in misinterpreting my opponent's debate point and primary argument, and do agree with them. Because of that, I must succeed and ask any and all voters to give any and all points to my opponent. Apologies!
skepticseeker

Pro

My opponent has chosen to concede.
differentveiw

Con

See above argument. Apologies, once again.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by Stupidape 1 year ago
Stupidape
I agree that the Bible in its current state is misogynistic.

"I am also familiar with vivid descriptions in the same Scriptures in which women are revered as pre-eminent leaders. During the years of the early Christian church women served as deacons, priests, bishops, apostles, teachers and prophets. It wasn't until the fourth century that dominant Christian leaders, all men, twisted and distorted Holy Scriptures to perpetuate their ascendant positions within the religious hierarchy." Jimmy Carter

I wonder if anyone can find any proof of this corruption of the scriptures? Thanks in advance if you find the proof.

http://www.theage.com.au...
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Forget that, women are considered property by god, or chattel or whatever its called.
Also promiscuous women should be stoned at their father's doorsteps, so yeah, god's looking a lot less like Susan B. Anthony and a lot more like Donald J. Trump.
The god of the bible is an a$$.