JonWebStar
DebateBehemoth

The god of the Holy Bible, as he is described in it, cannot and does not exist today.

JonWebStar

Pro

If a conscious entity existed that was all-powerful and wanted to have a relationship with everyone, his first goal would be to make himself detectable so that the humans he wanted to have a relationship with would know that he exists so he could have a relationship with them.

God is not detectable by any human means whatsoever.

God is either not all-powerful, does not want a relationship with everyone, or does not exist.

Prove me wrong.
DebateBehemoth

Con

Since I am christian I will try my best to prove you wrong
1st God has not connected to mortals for many unknown reasons but one reason is known and that is the reason of which he does.not show.him self to test how much we have faith in him even if we do.not see him It is what we call there are more than meets the eye
2nd a priest in itlay himself was losing faith in God then one sunday while he was cutting the bread true blood came out
3rd padre pio himself had the same wounds jesus had he had all the same wounds jesus had he.was in so much pain
With this following reasons God has been trying to connect to us not physically but spiritually
JonWebStar

Pro

For my side of the debate, I will be providing sources in the Bible where god literally speaks auditorily to people. The reason I am citing these sources is to show that if god can speak to these people, he can speak to us today in situations that can be documented by video cameras or audio recording devices.

1. According to the Bible God spoke to Adam and Eve.

Genesis 3:8-24

8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"
10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."
11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from? "
12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me —she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."
13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"
The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."
14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this,
"Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel."
16 To the woman he said,
"I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you. "
17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return."
20 Adam[c] named his wife Eve,[d] because she would become the mother of all the living.
21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." 23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

2. According to the Bible, God spoke to Cain after he killed his brother.

Genesis 4:9

Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

3. According to the Bible, God spoke to Moses from a burning bush.

Exodus 3

Moses and the Burning Bush

1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up."
4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"
And Moses said, "Here I am."
5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then he said, "I am the God of your father,[a] the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
7 The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey —the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 9 And now the cry of the Israelites has
reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them. 10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."
11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"
12 And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you[b] will worship God on this mountain. "
13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, ‘What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"
14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM.[c] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.'"
15 God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD,[d] the God of your fathers —the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob —has sent me to you.'
"This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.
16 "Go, assemble the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob —appeared to me and said: I have watched over you and have seen what has been done to you in Egypt. 17 And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—a land flowing with milk and honey.'
18 "The elders of Israel will listen to you. Then you and the elders are to go to the king of Egypt and say to him, ‘The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the LORD our God.' 19 But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will stretch out my hand and strike the Egyptians with all the wonders that I will perform among them. After that, he will let you go.
21 "And I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward this people, so that when you leave you will not go empty-handed. 22 Every woman is to ask her neighbor and any woman living in her house for articles of silver and gold and for clothing, which you will put on your sons and daughters. And so you will plunder the Egyptians."

4. According to the Bible, God spoke at Jesus baptism.

The Baptism of Jesus

Matthew 3: 13-15
13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
15Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.
16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

I have shown that according to the bible, god was capable of speaking to people.

Let me reiterate that if god wants to have a relationship with people, then he needs to first let them know he exists. God is supposed to be all-powerful. He does not demonstrate that he exists to his creation in any way. Therefore, he must not exist.

I look forward to your side of the argument being posted. :)
DebateBehemoth

Con

First off that is a very good argument, and thank you for bringing this up. The bible does state accounts off people having conversations with God, but none have ever seen him, it may not be stated in the bible itself, but logically God chooses people he made known his presence to, he has done this in earlier time, but as you can well see our time today is very much different. More people in this time don't believe in him. That is only one of many unknown reasons. In the earlier era people were more dependent to Him which is why he has made his presence known to chosen people, where as in this time people are more dependent to themselves and other people. The population of people who don't believe in him have drastically increased, I believe that he does not show himself, because it is His way of truly confirming who are true believers.
JonWebStar

Pro

JonWebStar forfeited this round.
DebateBehemoth

Con

Till next round
JonWebStar

Pro

JonWebStar forfeited this round.
DebateBehemoth

Con

Since you have forfeited again I would like to urge the voters to vote CON
My first Con debate
JonWebStar

Pro

JonWebStar forfeited this round.
DebateBehemoth

Con

OK its over Voting time begins Voters you chose
Posted by ScottyDouglas 4 years ago
ScottyDouglas
I want a crack at it after this. HMU! For God.
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
If this wasn't so long, I might take it.