TheConservativeLiberal
Badtothebone

The government department named "The Department of Defense" is misleading and wrongly named.

TheConservativeLiberal

TheConservativeLiberal

Pro

The Department of Defense, to a logical person, means that one is defending themselves from an attacker. It does not mean you are fighting war, attacking, or trying to make peace. It means you are defending yourself from invaders. Our troops are in nearly 150 countries (http://www.cnn.com...)!

We have invaded many countries since the name change, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan... (and who knows how many secret operations went on).

Take Iraq or Afghanistan for example, we invaded their lands, killed their civilians, and brought their "criminals" to justice. How is that a defensive maneuver? That is an act of aggression! No wonder why so many people over there hate us; its cause we are ATTACKING THEM!

Now I know you are going to say, "well they attacked us first." "So this is just us defending ourselves."
-Cool, maybe they did. But we aren't defending ourselves when we fly our troops halfway around the world and kill others. That simply is not defense.

Good Luck in the debate.
Badtothebone

Con

So you want to name it like the Department of Taking Action? Or The Department of Act First then Ask Questions Later? I think you should be more focused on their actions then its name. If the U.S. is keeping invaders out, that's a defense right?
TheConservativeLiberal

Pro

My opponent has not come up with any new arguments and simply ignored many of my points.

You asked me what the name of the department should be. My answer; something that truly reflects what it is doing. If it was truly and just defending itself, i could be called the department of defense. Before the 1950's, it was called the Department of War. Frankly, this would be a better name because we are fighting a WAR! I don't care what it is called, just that it should truly reflect what they are doing! Don't lie like Big Brother. He said "WAR IS PEACE" and "FREEDOM IS SLAVERY". He called his department the Ministry of Truth, where he had workers changing the history to best suit the needs of Oceania.

Next, you said: "If the U.S. is keeping invaders out, that's a defense right?"
My response: No! You are wrong for a couple of reasons... First, the amount of "invaders" of our country have been like less than 100. We have sent tons of troops to the Middle East. Next, we may be keeping the invaders out by taking a visit to their country with our military, but WE ARE INVADING THEM! We have sent drones and thousands of military personnel to fight them in their own country. You cannot say that is pure defense. You should understand the concept of attack versus defense. Attacking is when you go out of you land and into another persons land. Defending is when someone else comes into your land and you stand your ground. Its that simple.

To conclude:
1. Our department names should reflect what they are truly doing
2. It doesn't matter if they invaded us first or if they attacked us
3. Because we have attacked/invaded them by entering their country.
Badtothebone

Con

The deparement doesn't always deal with wAr you know. Every action they make doesn't reflect on war itself. It also deals with terrositic threats that doesn't come from Iraq or any other place that's not a war zone. The name the department of defense is supposed to sound like a civilized organization. Not a "always making war plans" battle station. People felt safer towards the name "the deparement of defense" thAn "the department of war" because it reassures them that the ones that are responsible of providing the safety of this country aren't always into the war affairs
TheConservativeLiberal

Pro

My opponent does not understand what I am trying to say. He is ignoring my points. I will say them again.
Our department names should reflect what they are saying, and when the government is going into other nations to kill people, that is attacking. Thus, for our troops overseas fighting others, they should not be categorized under the Department of Defense.
For your argument that all of our military isn't attacking I just have to say, obviously! So if it makes you happy, I would be satisfied with keeping all defense missions within the United States controlled by the Department of Defense.
HOWEVER, all attacking overseas should not be under the Department of Defense. They should be under the control of a different department. If we can't think of a new name for that department that throughly sums up what we are doing overseas that sounds civilized and proper, then what we are doing in not civilized and proper.

Again, we can keep the department of defense if it makes people feel safer. That is fine as long as everything that department is doing is DEFENSE.

In conclusion, our department names should reflect what they are truly doing. So when we invade other countries, we should have a name that reflects that. When we are defending ourselves, we can call it the department of defense.
Badtothebone

Con

Fine, I agree About your point on that when the army is out to attack, in should be in a different department. So don't say it's misleading and needs to be change. In conclusion, when we are attacking OTHERS, then it's appropriate to have its OWN deparement. Not change the previous one. One department that is for the protection of the United States, which is the department of defense. And one taking matters in our own hands at war. That's is what you should have stated the first round, don't say you did because you didnt.
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
Hmmm...poor debate.

I understood CON's original argument as a rephrasing of the common expression, "the best defense is a good offense." Had he stuck to his argument, I would have voted for CON. However, CON in the final inexplicably dropped this point and conceded the debate to PRO:

"Fine, I agree About your point on that when the army is out to attack, in should be in a different department."

---

S&G clearly to PRO.
Posted by Badtothebone 3 years ago
Badtothebone
You sooo didn't lol vote for con!
Posted by TheConservativeLiberal 3 years ago
TheConservativeLiberal
oh @Con, I so said that.... VOTE PRO
Posted by hereiam2005 3 years ago
hereiam2005
@Ragnar: US mentality is "the best offense is a good defense"
TheConservativeLiberal
They need to start representing the people again. A revolution, without too many guns, would be good. Or some major laws passed to better our system.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
I wholly agree that the current name is stupid. The Department of War was a far better name... However what can be done about politicians?
TheConservativeLiberal
Go ahead Kwhite7298... Just make actual points and no sweet-talking. I want actual reasons. Good luck and debate away!
TheConservativeLiberal
Oh Ragnar, you make that as a joke but we should get back to reality. I don't want to go to 1984. WAR IS PEACE. We are almost doing that here.... Attack is defense.
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
Interested in taking but I have more debates in experience. Lemme know if you're up for it.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Clearly the USA believes the best defense is a good offense. :)
Vote Placed by TheHitchslap 3 years ago
TheHitchslap
TheConservativeLiberalBadtotheboneTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
TheConservativeLiberalBadtotheboneTied
Reasons for voting decision: see comments, concession